Worst book?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by MaccaByrd, Jul 4, 2009.

1. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

What's the most awful book you've ever read and why? If you can't think of it, just give us one or two you generally disapprove of.

2. Johnny Lennon

Johnny Lennon Member

Little House in the Big Woods (Wilder). It was really boring, nothing really happened, no central story line.

3. theacidpulp

theacidpulp Member

mein kampf. terrible writer, that hitler. wonderful speaker, but a terrible writer with some bad ideas.

4. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

How amusing...

The Little House books worked for me when I was little. That's what makes this interesting.

5. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

The Messiah. I forgot who wrote it. I had to read it when i went to christian school. 40 pages into i thought "fuck it, all these books are the fuckin same". Wrote an essay on the book at the end of the year(I had to for the final) and got an A+ on it and was one of the only people to get that. They're all the same.

6. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Green eggs and ham. THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS GREEN EGGS OR GREEN HAM!

7. Sri_Yantra

Sri_Yantra Member

I hated "the old man and the sea"

8. Didymus Doppelgänger

Didymus Doppelgänger Misfit Lover

Noo! How could you? You can eat them here, you can eat them there, for fuck's sake, you can eat them anywhere!

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

A couple chapters of Twilight. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone with brains that has read it why.
    But let me sum it up quickly: a teen love story about vampires that sparkle in the sunlight that is totally ripped off of the great Southern Vampire Mysteries(/Sookie Stackhouse series) written by a moron with a thesaurus that filled it with plot holes and made the starring characters two absolutely plain teenagers: one a stereotypical 50s housewife with no personality, and one an emo-y vamp stalkerl; that does not even mention any form of the word 'fangs'.

Also, a couple chapters of Haunted by Chuck Pahlaniuk. Cliche, written by 'different writer characters' that all write just like Chuck Pahlaniuk, and tell stories just like him. The first few stories failed to be checked for accuracy, and many events were not possible as he described them happening.

Worst full book I read: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I don't get it, this drab and boring sensationalist sci-fi was written by the same author that did all those great short stories and articles for Playboy? :(

10. dollyfizz

dollyfizz Senior Member

Haha, I love this quick review. It's completely true!

But I love Twilight :( I was incredibly embarrassed to buy the books, especially since every time I walked up to them in a book shop some random girl would come up to me and just start talking away. I'd put it off for so long, until I HAD to see what all the fuss was about. I did my boyfriends head in reading them and constantly swooning over Edward Cullen. Twilight made me super horny. That's why I love it.

I've been trying to think of a book of my own that I very much disliked but can't. :(

11. Duck

Have you ever checked out the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris?
    You might prefer that and be able to redeem yourself =P

12. dollyfizz

dollyfizz Senior Member

Haha, no I haven't. Will it make me horny?

13. Duck

Aha, I'm not sure. I've only read a few random parts here and there of my sister's, but it is really funny - does laughing making you horny? =P

14. dollyfizz

dollyfizz Senior Member

Yep, sometimes :)

15. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

ayn fucking rand [pick any book]

16. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Member

Honestly, and my apologies in advance to anyone who enjoys it, but it's gotta be Twilight.
    Can't stand the books, or the movies, and I just don't get the hype that comes with either, at all.

17. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Since this is in the "nonfiction" sub-forum, I will provide some awful nonfiction books:
    1. A First Course in Differential Geometry and Geometric Topology - most unreadable textbook I have ever encountered.
    2. Mathematical Statistics and its Applications- almost as bad as (1).
    3. The Epic of Gilgamesh- not quite nonfiction, but still a horrible read for many reasons

18. theraccoonhat

theraccoonhat Member

Yeah, for me the worst book I've read is also Twilight. I read it because my friends in boarding school were obsessed with it really bonded over it and I felt left out lol. I hated it.

Another book that I personally hated was Drop City by TC Boyle. I could not get through it. It was like the Fox News version of commune life, well to me anyway. I also found it to be pretty sexist and racist.

19. durden

durden Guest

Fahrenheit 451 was actually a good book. I had to read it my sophmore year in high school and id have to say i enjoyed it.

20. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Again, this is in non fiction books.

I am pretty dismayed by true crime as a genre, so disliking Ann Rule is probably obvious.

I wanted to like Dead Lucky by Lincoln Hall, but I just felt there was something off, maybe defensive, in his tone.
    Bashing on the other writer covering the climb didn't help.

Vegan Freak and Skinny Bitch. Again, I had every reason to Want to like the books, but tone got me again.
    I didn't realize non consumption of animal protein automatically turned people into judgmental, uptight bores.
    Because I have had the same experience with paleo and primal diet people (uptight judgmental bores)