world cinema

Discussion in 'Movies' started by billhicksrulez, Jun 1, 2004.

1. billhicksrulez

billhicksrulez Member

Hi, I would like your help.

I am close to starting a WorldCinema-videostore, and I can use some help in getting our collection up to the level I want it to be.
    Which cult/worldcinema/classic/manga etc film do you think we should have?

Oh, and if you can come up with a good name for the store that we will use, you'll get a lifetime VIP-membership :)

Thanx

2. geraldine

geraldine Member

Goodbye Pork Pie

It's a New Zealand film, and truly a classic

3. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yeah,Good Bye Pork Pie is a ripper of a movie :). If NZ films count, then
    * Whale Rider
    * Once Were Warriors
    * Peter Jackson's early stuff - Braindead (also called Dead Alive); Bad Taste & Meet the Feebles. Great stuff. Forgotten Silver is an awesome mockumentary of his too.
    Vincent Ward also has done some great stuff - see Vigil for instance.

4. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

The Price of Milk was a good NZ film, I thought.

5. geraldine

geraldine Member

well at the risk of nz films taking over this post.....do you guys remember Ruby and Rata? man that was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid....and also what I think as a classic (but everyone else thinks is crap) is Bonjour Timothy, it's just so funny(!)
    I've only seen bits of the price of milk so I couldn't really say if I thought it was good (Harry Sinclair also has another movie Toy Love out which I've also been meaning to see)

Other movies I would have are Wedding In Ramallah by the Australian film maker Sherine Salama. I don't think I've ever been so affected by a film.

And also Russian Ark

6. billhicksrulez

billhicksrulez Member

Funny, when we were littler we always said that New Zealand was the place on the world furthest away from where we live (netherlands). :)

7. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

heeee, yes, but it's a small world. :)

I am just NZ film obsessed at the moment (today was the last day of lectures for the paper I taking in NZ Cinema...the exam is coming....:eek: )
    but ah well,
    'world' films that I found great were
    Amelie (French)
    Cinema Paradiso (Italian)
    Raise the Red Lantern (Chinese?)
    Y Tu A Mama Tambien (can't spell that, think it's mexican?)

8. geraldine

geraldine Member

you know our prime minister is right now in the Netherlands?! (or at least was)

- I just got Cinema Paradiso out on video about 2 weeks ago, and I loved it! Only thing I didn't like was the girl, I found her just irritating....but i liked how his relationship with elena, was really seconday to that of Alfredo.

I'm going (hopefully) to see Housekeeper at the movies (French film)next week- yay for the Whangarei film society....otherwise who knows what movies I'd otherwise end up going to see.....:p

9. Benny DaBuff

Benny DaBuff Member

I think a world cinema store without a good sampling of spanish cinema would be lacking: Almodovar's films come to mind (Besides the better known recent ones like talk to Her and All about my mother, I think "Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown is a must.

Kurosawa for japanese films is good IF you're interested in having some classics.

The current world cinema favorite seems to be Iranian Abbas Kirostami (sp?), but I fail to see why, since I just saw "The Wind will carry us" and found it very tedious. But you just might get customers asking for his films (his best is supposed to be "Taste of Cherries")

Cinema Paradiso is a great film as someone before me already recommended. It also could be a good name for a World Cinema Rental Store.

10. nightwanderer

nightwanderer Member

id get some Herzog and Bergman films too. you cant really go wrong with their films.

11. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

agree with Amelie and all the Peter Jackson films.
    also Amandla (south african) and Alice's Restaurant!

also, be sure to order in at least 12 copies of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...... it's always out at my video centre!!!!!