Works of Eckhart Tolle as free e-books....

Discussion in 'Metaphysics, Philosophy and Religion Books' started by Ajay0, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

A free e-book ( of his bestselling 'The power of now' ) by enlightened master Eckhart Tolle in pdf format....

The power of now

https://files.shroomery.org/cms/6584522-EckhartTolle-ThePowerOfNow.pdf

INSIGHTFUL SAYINGS OF ECKHART TOLLE

The human condition: lost in thought.

Thought can be so seductive and hypnotic that it absorbs your attention totally, so you become your thoughts.

Thinking fragments reality - it cuts it up into conceptual bits and pieces.

Memories are thoughts that arise. They're not realities. Only when you believe that they are real, then they have the power over you. But when you realize it's just another thought arising about the past, then you can have a spacious relationship with that thought. The thought no longer has you in its grip.

To me the ego is the habitual and compulsive thought processes that go through everybody's mind continuously. External things like possessions or memories or failures or successes or achievements. Your personal history.

To realize that you are not your thoughts is when you begin to awaken spiritually.

When you listen to a thought, you are aware not only of the thought but also of yourself as the witness of the thought. A new dimension of consciousness has come in.

All the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

When you take your attention into the present moment, a certain alertness arises. You become more conscious of what's around you, but also, strangely, a sense of presence that is both within and without.

You cannot be both unhappy and fully present in the Now.

Thought alone, when it is no longer connected with the much vaster realm of consciousness, quickly becomes barren,insane, destructive.

The pollution of the planet is only an outward reflection of an inner psychic pollution: millions of unconscious individuals not taking responsibility for their inner space.

Are you polluting the world or cleaning up the mess? You are responsible for your inner space; nobody else is, just as you are responsible for the planet. As within, so without: If humans clear inner pollution, then they will also cease to create outer pollution.

The more unconscious individuals, groups, or nations are, the more likely it is that egoic pathology will assume the form of physical violence. Violence is a primitive but still very widespread way in which the ego attempts to assert itself, to prove itself right or another wrong. With very unconscious people, arguments can easily lead to physical violence.

… the ego's need to be periodically in conflict with something or someone in order to strengthen its sense of separation between me and the other, without which it cannot survive.

The personal ego already has a strong element of dysfunction, but the collective ego is, frequently, even more dysfunctional, to the point of absolute insanity.

When people get taken over by the ego to such an extent, there is nothing else in their mind except the ego. They can no longer feel or sense their humanity - what they share with other human beings, or even with other life forms on the planet. They are so identified with concepts in their minds that other human beings become concepts as well.

If the structures of the human mind remain unchanged, we will always end up re-creating the same world, the same evils, the same dysfunction.

Because of its phantom nature, and despite elaborate defense mechanisms, the ego is very vulnerable and insecure, and it sees itself as constantly under threat. This, by the way, is the case even if the ego is outwardly very confident.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Read two paragraphs of one book, Power of Now I reckon, that's all it took for me to know this guy's just another overpaid snake oil salesman

3. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

A free e-book ( of his bestselling book ' A New Earth' ) by enlightened master Eckhart Tolle in pdf format....

https://www.apnamba.com/Ebooks-pdf/A new Earth.pdf

A New Earth - Wikipedia

Some insightful excerpts from the book...

The first is that unless you know the basic mechanics behind the workings of the ego, you won’t recognize it, and it will trick you into identifying with it again and again. This means it takes you over, an impostor pretending to be you. The second reason is that the act of recognition itself is one of the ways in which awakening happens. When you recognize the unconsciousness in you, that which makes the recognition possible is the arising consciousness, is awakening. You cannot fight against the ego and win, just as you cannot fight against darkness. The light of consciousness is all that is necessary.

Another aspect of the collective dysfunction of the human mind is the unprecedented violence that humans are inflicting on other lifeforms and the planet itself – the destruction of oxygen producing forests and other plant and animal life; ill treatment of animals in factory farms; and poisoning of rivers, oceans, and air. Driven by greed, ignorant of their connectedness to the whole, humans persist in behavior that, if continued unchecked, can only result in their own destruction.

But the ego is destined to dissolve, and all its ossified structures,whether they be religious or other institutions,corporations, or governments,will disintegrate from within, no matter how deeply entrenched they appear to be. The most rigid structures, the most impervious to change, will collapse first. This has already happened in the case of Soviet Communism. How deeply entrenched, how solid and monolithic it appeared, and yet within a few years, it disintegrated from within. No one foresaw this. All were taken by surprise. There are many more such surprises in store for us.

Ego is no more than this: identification with form, which primarily means thought forms. If evil has any reality – and it has a relative, not an absolute, reality – this is also its definition: complete identification with form – physical forms, thought forms, emotional forms. This results in a total unawareness of my connectedness with the whole, my intrinsic oneness with every “other” as well as with the Source. This forgetfulness is original sin, suffering, delusion.

If the structures of the human mind remain unchanged, we will always end up recreating fundamentally the same world, the same evils, the same dysfunction.

The quicker you are in attaching verbal or mental labels to things,people, or situations, the more shallow and lifeless your reality becomes, and the more deadened you become to reality, the miracle of life that continuously unfolds within and around you. In this way, cleverness may be gained, but wisdom is lost, and so are joy, love, creativity, and aliveness.They are concealed in the still gap between the perception and the interpretation. Of course we have to use words and thoughts. They have their own beauty – but do we need to become imprisoned in them?

In normal everyday usage, “I” embodies the primordial error, a misperception of who you are, an illusory sense of identity. This is the ego. This illusory sense of self is what Albert Einstein, who had deep insights not only in to the reality of space and time but also into human nature, referred to as “an optical illusion of consciousness.” That illusory self then becomes the basis for all further interpretations, or rather misinterpretations of reality, all thought processes, interactions, and relationships. Your reality becomes a reflection of the original illusion.

Most people are still completely identified with the incessant stream of mind, of compulsive thinking, most of it repetitive and pointless. There is no “I” apart from their thought processes and the emotions that go with them. This is the meaning of being spiritually unconscious. When told that there is a voice in their head that never stops speaking, they say, “What voice?” or angrily deny it, which of course is the voice, is the thinker, is the unobserved mind. It could almost be looked upon as an entity that has taken possession of them.

The egoic mind is completely conditioned by the past.

The unconscious compulsion to enhance one’s identity through association with an object is built into the very structure of the egoic mind.

One of the most basic mind structures through which the ego comes into existence is identification. The word “identification” is derived from the Latin word idem, meaning “same” and facere, which means “to make.” So when I identify with something, I “make it the same.” The same as what? The same as I. I endow it with a sense of self, and so it becomes part of my “identity.” One of the most basic levels of identification is with things: Mytoy later becomes my car, my house, my clothes, and so on. I try to find myself in things but never quite make it and end up losing myself in them.That is the fate of the ego.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,” Jesus said, “for theirs will be the kingdom of heaven.”1 What does “poor in spirit” mean? No inner baggage, no identifications. Not with things, nor with any mental concepts that have a sense of self in them. And what is the “kingdom of heaven” The simple but profound joy of Being that is there when you let of of identifications and so become “poor in spirit.”

The ego tends to equate having with Being: I have, therefore I am.And the more I have, the more I am. The ego lives through comparison. How you are seen by others turns into how you see yourself. If everyone lived in a mansion or everyone was wealthy, your mansion or your wealth would no longer serve to enhance your sense of self. You could then move to a simple cabin, give up our wealth, and regain an identity by seeing yourself and being seen as more spiritual than others. How you are seen by others becomes the mirror that tells you what you are like and who you are. The ego’s sense of self worth is in most cases bound up with the worth you have in the eyes of others. You need others to give you a sense of self, and if you live in a culture that to a large extent equates self-worth with how much and what you have, if you cannot look through this collective delusion, you will be condemned to chasing after things for the rest of your life in the vain hope of finding your worth and completion of your sense of self there.

How do you let go of attachment to things? Don’t even try. It’s impossible. Attachment to things drops away by itself when you no longer seek to find yourself in them. In the meantime, just be aware of your attachment to things. Sometimes you may not know that you are attached to something, which is to say, until you lose it or there is the threat of loss. If you then become upset, anxious, and so on, it means you are attached. If you are aware that you are identified with a thing, the identification is nolonger total. “I am the awareness that is aware that there is attachment.” That’s the beginning of the transformation of consciousness.

In some cases, the psychological need for more or the feeling of not enough that is so characteristic of the ego becomes transferred to the physical level and so turns into insatiable hunger. The sufferers of bulimia will often make themselves vomit so they can continue eating. Their mind is hungry, not their body. This eating disorder would become healed if the sufferers, instead of being identified with their mind, could get in touch with their body and so feel the true needs of the body rather than the pseudo needs of the egoic mind.

Some egos know what they want and pursue their aim with grim and ruthless determination – Genghis Khan, Stalin, Hitler, to give just a few larger than life examples. The energy behind their wanting, however, creates an opposing energy of equal intensity that in the end leads to their downfall.in the meantime, they make themselves and many others unhappy, or, in the larger than life examples, create hell on earth. Most egos have conflicting wants. They want different things at different times or may not even know what they want except that they don't ant what is: the present moment. Unease, restlessness, boredom, anxiety, dissatisfaction , are the result of unfulfilled wanting.

The physical needs for food, water, shelter, clothing, and basic comforts could be easily met for all humans on the planet,were it not for their imbalance of resources created by the insane and rapacious need for more,the greed of the ego. It finds collective expression in the economic structures of this world, such as the huge corporations, which are egoic entities that compete with each other for more. Their only blind aim is profit.

They pursue that aim with absolute ruthlessness. Nature, animals, people, even their own employees, are no more than digits on a balance sheet, lifeless objects to be used, then discarded.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  4. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

A free e-book ( of the book Stillness Speaks ) by enlightened master Eckhart Tolle in pdf format....

https://www.happierabroad.com/StillnessSpeaks.pdf

Some insightful excerpts from the book...

When you lose touch with inner stillness, you lose touch with yourself. When you
    lose touch with yourself, you lose yourself in the world.
    Your innermost sense of self, of who you are, is inseparable from stillness. This is
    the “I Am” that is deeper than name and form.

The equivalent of external noise is the inner noise of thinking. The equivalent of
    external silence is inner stillness.

Look at a tree, a flower, a plant. Let your awareness rest upon it. How still they are,
    how deeply rooted in Being. Allow nature to teach you stillness.

When you look at a tree and perceive its stillness, you become still yourself. You
    connect with it at a very deep level. You feel a oneness with whatever you perceive
    in and through stillness. Feeling the oneness of yourself with all things is love.

True intelligence operates silently. Stillness is where creativity and solutions to
    problems are found

The stream of thinking has enormous momentum that can easily drag you along
    with it. Every thought pretends that it matters so much. It wants to draw your
    attention in completely.

Here is a new spiritual practice for you: don’t take your thoughts too seriously.

How easy it is for people to become trapped in their conceptual prisons.

The thinking mind is a useful and powerful tool, but it is also very limiting when it
    takes over your life completely, when you don’t realize that it is only a small aspect
    of the consciousness that you are

Whenever you are immersed in compulsive thinking, you are avoiding what is. You
    don’t want to be where you are. Here, Now.

Dogmas — religious, political, scientific— arise out of the erroneous belief that
    thought can encapsulate reality or the truth. Dogmas are collective conceptual
    prisons. And the strange thing is that people love their prison cells because they
    give them a sense of security and a false sense of “I know.”

Nothing has inflicted more suffering on humanity than its dogmas. It is true that
    every dogma crumbles sooner or later, because reality will eventually disclose its
    falseness; however, unless the basic delusion of it is seen for what it is, it will be
    replaced by others.

What is this basic delusion? Identification with thought.

Spiritual awakening is awakening from the dream of thought.

You can become aware of awareness as the background to all your sense
    perceptions, all your thinking. Becoming aware of awareness is the arising of inner
    stillness.

When each thought absorbs your attention completely, it means you identify with
    the voice in your head. Thought then becomes invested with a sense of self. This is
    the ego, the mind-made “me.” That mentally constructed self feels incomplete and
    precarious. That’s why fearing and wanting are its predominant emotions and
    motivating forces.

The Now is as it is because it cannot be otherwise. What Buddhists have always
    known, physicists now confirm: there are no isolated things or events. Underneath
    the surface appearance, all things are interconnected, are part of the totality of the
    cosmos that has brought about the form that this moment takes.

Most people's lives are run by desire and fear. Desire is the need to add something
    to yourself in order to be yourself more fully. All fear is the fear of losing
    something, and thereby become diminished and be less. These two movements
    obscure the fact that being cannot be given or taken away. Being in its fullness is
    already within you, now.

Unhappiness needs a mind-made me with a story, the conceptual identity. It needs
    time, past and future. When you remove time from your unhappiness, what is it that
    remains? The “suchness” of this moment remains. It may be a feeling of heaviness
    of heaviness, agitation, tightness, anger or even nausea. That is not unhappiness
    and it is not a personal problem.

All the misery on the planet arises due to a personalized sense of me or us. That
    covers up the essence of who you are. When you are unaware of that inner essence,
    in the end, you always create misery. It's as simple as that. When you don't know
    who you are, you create a mind-made self as a substitute for your beautiful, divine
    being and cling to that fearful and needy self. Protecting and enhancing that false
    sense of self then becomes your primary motivating force.

For most things in life, you need time: to learn a new skill, build a house, become
    an expert, make a cup of tea.

Time is useless, however, for the most essential thing in life, the one thing that
    really matters, self-realization–which means knowing who you are beyond the
    surface self, beyond your name, your physical form, your history, your story.
    You cannot find yourself in the past or future. The only place where you can find
    yourself in the Now. Spiritual seekers look for self realization or enlightenment in
    the future. To be a seeker implies that you need the future. If this is what you
    believe, it becomes true for you. You will need time until you realize that you don't
    need time to be who you are.

5. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

Thank you for posting, I look forward to reading this:)

Ajay0 likes this.