Wooooo.... The New MGMT Song

Discussion in 'New Releases' started by The Walking Dickhead, Oct 19, 2017.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

MGMT are back with a new song, and yet again they have delivered something that is very worth listening to, well produced and a great video to boot.

I'm a bit confused though as to who they are now, who is in the band and what gender they are now. Got to say though Andrew VanWyngarden seems to be able to pull off the 80's new romantic look rather well. And who the fuck is this guy who looks like Robert Smith from The Cure? Is that Andrew VanWyngarden as well?

Anyway, this is really 80's dark wave. MGMT's debut album still stands as one of the best albums of this century, for me anyway. Time To Pretend is such an epic track, there's this really decadent feel to it that I find most uplifting, and now 10 years on it's got the nostalgic edge to as well.

Looking forward to the new album... [​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtL5oMyBHPs

1 person likes this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yess thanks for sharing, I like it

Strange video though

I think the Robert Smith look alike is Andrew? I guess.

What's with the random fruit

1 person likes this.
  3. The Walking Dickhead

Forbidden fruit perhaps. I don't know, I don't read too much into it but I like the style of the video it's very 80's

Quite often when bands get really big and can afford to splash some money around on a video they fuck it up, ends up suffering from bad editing and just doesn't work, but this works.

I'm not sure who the hell is who in this, have I mistaken the transgendery looking girl(?) for Andrew? S/he has a very young complexion so maybe it's a real girl, one of the other band members? And the sort of look like twins Game Of Thrones brother and sister, is it the same person? What's going on? Talk about blurring the boundaries :dizzy2:

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I tried to listen to it today and wasn't feeling it at all. I haven't really liked anything MGMT put out except Oracular Spectacular. To be fair, I was at work when I tried to listen to the new song, so maybe I'll give it another go at some point.

5. I think it's wonderful. I like MGMT. Cure comparisons? No, I think they're just being true to the eighties. Sometimes a guy in a band gets a hair cut, you know? You've got dark hair, it's kind of an 80's sounding song, well, then you might end up looking like Robert Smith. I don't find he looks like Robert Smith, though. He is a very interesting character.

6. The Walking Dickhead

Also could be a Thompson Twins haircut, or probably any number of 80's dark wave bands.

So as it turns out 80's music wasn't 80's after all, it just started in the 80's. What are we going to call this genre of music in the year 2080?

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It reminds me of Fischerspooner. EDIT If you want to listen to the song fastforward to a minute and thirty in..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4uSTdJo4zk

1 person likes this.