Wooks?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by newo, Dec 29, 2022.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I HAD to look this up: wooks. I never heard of them previously...

WOOKS - according to Urban Dictionary
    Half-cocked former middle-class dude who was a stoner in high school, discovered shrooms at a camping festival in college and has since decided to live as a nearly homeless walking tarot card. Like if The Fool jumped off the cliff and landed in a mushroom patch.

He's emotionally stunted; probably hates his dad for some perceived slight like say, asking him to do something with his life other than donation-based drug parties. He's sexually reckless with only a tenuous enough grasp on nonmonogamy to use it to be a slut. Into tantra but not condoms.

Supported Bernie but would rather watch the government collapse so ultimately sat out the whole election, "the moon landing was faked, bruh," anti-vaxxer, some kind of vegan/orthorexic eater but his abs only look good because of all the coke he does.

Instead of hosting intelligent discourse he likes to ask "highly philosophical" questions as a means of deflection, but his arguments can be knocked down with simple logic. He refuses to partake in society, because he sees through the bullshit, but in reality he's almost totally ignorant.

He'll seduce you with talks of sacred geometry and if he's the calmer type, demonstrations of acro yoga. For all the talk of intimacy, spirituality, and human connection, he just grunts on top of you like any other dudebro you've made the mistake of fucking.

Basically a very dirty and confused cross between the shittiest art student in the program and a standard hard-partying college dude.

3. newo

I found a few definitions online.

"A wook is a hippie, most often a music and festival fan, that at its basic form owns nothing and borrows everything."

"An unwashed, unemployed mooch who enjoys traveling to festivals and crashes at other people's houses."

"An especially codependent mooch or someone so intoxicated that they require the assistance of others to ensure their own survival. A needy individual who prioritizes self-awareness over self-care."

"The dirty, vagranty variety of hippy. Almost always unemployed, following around jambands or festivals, and ripping people off."

So a wook is basically a vagabond who embraces the hippie lifestyle. A wook might say, "I'm not a bum, I'm a hippie!" They rely on the generosity of others, including other hippies, until those people get tired of being mooched off of, and then the wooks move on. The type of people who get kicked out of communes because they don't do their fair share of the work. Yes the hippie lifestyle includes sharing, but with a wook it's all take and no give. They see themselves as being independent, but the truth is they're extremely dependent.

I saw quite a few like that at the Rainbow Gathering. People rarely get ripped off there because no one wants to get kicked out; they have a good thing going there, camping out for free, being fed, and smoking other people's dope. People at the Gathering have another word for them: Drainbows. Hopefully the wooks will grow up and realize it's sink or swim, you can't spend your whole life like that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    ~Zen~ likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

@newo I can't remember how many of these Wooks I met in Northern California. Thousands came through on the way up to Garberville and points north to trim weed every fall. They's be on the side of the road looking for 'work' which meant hanging out getting high for free and doing little or nothing... some would end up back on the road pretty quickly... others seemed to simply 'disappear.'

5. newo

More info I found:

The primary differences between Wooks and Hippies are that despite their shared appreciation of freedom and spirituality, generally speaking, they have different tastes in music, music festivals, and lifestyle personas.

The Wooks, generally speaking, are frequent attendees of large electronic dance music (EDM) festivals such as Electric Forest and are more of the unenlightened rugged version of hippies that not only use drugs and alcohol but tend to take things too far.

In contrast, hippies have a stricter commitment to “good vibes” and have more of a lifestyle approach to peace, love, spirituality, and unity.

[​IMG]
    For this reason, the term Wook has more of a negative connotation associated with it and tends to be a “rave slur.”

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yep. Wook is to hippie as Drainbow is to Rainbow.

kinulpture, scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  7. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

A related term is bliss ninny or weedghost. We have enuff rednex where i live who let their dogs run loose. These wooks r notorious abt doggycare too. Not all cases ofcourse.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. newo

[​IMG]

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Are any of yall familiar with rainbow magic the gathering game?