Women: Safety while walking/hitchhiking or just out alone..

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by free2fly, Jun 2, 2006.

1. free2fly

free2fly Members

I felt like starting this thread because personally I've had my share of weirdos bother me while Im out minding my own business, trying to take a walk. And for awhile I stopped going for walks out of nervousness because it freaked me out.. once its happened a couple times especially by the same creeps, it is enough to stop me altogether but I love walking too much.....

I trust my instincts but I also dont want to be hindered .... and I know there is a fine line between being brave and being stupid .... just knowing what are the real risks .........

So anwyays ... what have been your experiences? What do you DO to make you safer?

Here's some things Ive thought up...

-Carry something like a golfclub, baseball bat, etc ... look rough: "dont mess with me or Ill beat the shit out of you" ..haha

-pose as a guy (this is fucked up because it really sucks that women have to almost try not to look like women... just to not be bothered ...) wear a hat, wear baggy clothes, etc

-Walk in daylight (although I LOVE going for night walks, and since the last few times some creeps bothered me I was walking in daylight, anyways)

-Walking around houses (which irritates me because one of the purposes I walk is to get AWAY from everything, lol..)

-Walk with someone else (also hard to do because theres not always someone to walk with)

NOTE: Here is something very interesting I just got off a website about long hair....

Warning! Researches interrogating men who stalk and rape others have discovered that they look for certain things. Amongst them are easy to undo clothing, isolation and long hair. Hair bound in a pony, or flowing free, or in a long braid is easy to grab and so use to control their victim. So if you are going somewhere you are a bit iffy about, wear your hair in a bun, under a cap. Or get a bob!

(This I find interesting because the few times I was being bothered by creeps last week while walking... I was wearing my hair down. But Im not going to do that anymore!)

2. free2fly

free2fly Members

yah all those would be great. I have to look into something but cant afford much either..

I guess mostly Im wanting to create more awareness ...and for us to think about what we can do to not attract the unwanted attention, I think thats really important, preventative measures... almost as much as what we can do if someone were to attack....

..... although I know there are some creeps out there that would probably attack a NUN if she were walking down the road... so safety and defense are both equally important. Yeah I do need to look into something for added safety...

3. free2fly

free2fly Members

yeah ... *sighs*

4. free2fly

free2fly Members

lol ... well I was just thinking how nice it would be if people could walk without being targets... everything is always complicated, there just isnt freedom anywhere... its like being trapped within oneself...

yeah I know, wishful thinking on my part... :)

5. free2fly

free2fly Members

ah, thats true! I guess that means the freedom to be a predator :eek: . ..yikes .. lol

6. fritz

fritz Heathen

I carry knives. They always come in handy for other things too. I keep a billy club in the car.
    The best advice I can give is to be aware of your surroundings. When you're making that walk don't just look around while walking. Stop, & pivot slowly for a few secs. This may sound odd, but we are predators. You are more likely to see something moving when you're not. We as human predators are geared toward spotting prey.. You can use that ability.
    I agree on walking with confidence, back straight. That alert confidence goes a long way. I'm going to assume they aren't looking for a challenge.

7. fritz

fritz Heathen

I got my mom one of those, & a shotgun for her house. [​IMG]

8. free2fly

free2fly Members

Whats a billy club? lol

Oh ... I used to carry a small knife in my purse, but now when walking its just not ... easy to keep on me... Id have to have a sheath attached to a belt or something lol

Oh yes very true.... I always try to stay aware ...

The confidence thing works BIG TIME. I never look at cars as they pass me anymore. Years ago cars used to stop all the time and ask me if I needed a ride or something and ... I think it was because I looked like I "wasnt" walking .... looking at cars, looking at people or whatever...

I find its best to keep head straight, never look at or into the cars (just with peripheral vision only, to be aware, but thats it) ... I keep head straight and walk like Im on a mission, I have a look on my face that says "Ive got a place to go and I dont need anybody stopping and bothering me!" .... this does help ALOT! .... :)

9. fritz

fritz Heathen

Oh, it's one of those black bats you see the cops using to hurt people. The one I got ahold of telescopes, so it's compact.

10. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned