Women Drafted...

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Sera Michele, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Stealing someone else's post, but would like to get a new spin on this:

Now, my question is...Should women be drafted? Is equal rights a factor in this? Just wanting everyone's opinion.

My stance on the issue:

Women should have equal rights as men, we should be treated equally and not discriminated against. So therefore we need to take the good with the bad when it comes to this. Mothers and pregnant women should NOT be drafted in my opinion (if this even happens), and I am assuming that is how it would end up if this bill does pass and there is a draft.

On the other hand, society needs to realize that women are going to have roles that men cannot fufill, and vice-versa, and we cannot forget that. Men and women ARE different, after all.

Any other opinions?

2. Megara

Megara Banned

would you give an exemption to fathers also?

Also, a pregnant woman would not pass any physical, so she wouldnt be sent anywhere.

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I never fought for equality, because I didn't want to bring myself down... :) Good luck getting me to do shit involuntarily...

4. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

throw me in jail...........
    i refuse to fight this war!!!

5. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Members

hmm Take me with you cause i wont fight either!!!

6. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Men and women should both be given the equal right of choosing NOT to fight. I personally believe it is sexist against men for making them register, but I don't think we should subject women to that--we should just do away with registration and drafting period, for both genders.

-Kate

7. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Well, I don't think that BOTH parents should be sent. A mother or a father needs to stay home. Ideally fathers AND mothers wouldn't be sent at all. So yes, if it were up to me I would give exemptions to fathers also.

8. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

I don't agree with drafting women into the army...it just doesn't seem right. Just like it doesn't seem right for women to go topless..

9. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

the government can kiss my butt, if it ever comes to this. i'll shoot myself in the foot or something, hehe. same if my hubby were drafted. i think the draft is fundamentally bullshit, and i wonder how they think they are gonna get good dedicated soldiers out of people who have to be dragged into the military involuntarily.

as for equal rights, i think we should all have the equal right to stay the hell out of the war, or any war, for that matter if we don't want to participate.

10. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

My take on equal right: no one should be drafted. War is pointless hell.

TTFN
    Sage

11. veinglory

veinglory Member

I don't suppor drafting for anyone, but if it is allowed it shoulb be for all adults, young, old, parents, children, nuns and university professors. *But* there should be a community service option for those opposed to fighting or not fit to fight.

12. Megara

Megara Banned

war does sucks, absolutely. But lets not be foolish and say that we should never have a draft. War HAS given us this country and protected it for us.

13. JosieJune

JosieJune Member

...puts a big spin on equal rights between men and women.
    We seem to have forgotten the babies rights.
    One would think that a baby born has a right to be nurtured by her mother.:(

Paz,
    Josie

14. dumbblonde74D

dumbblonde74D Member

I am very anti-draft

kiss my ass I am not fighting any war

15. dotadave

dotadave Member

No women should not be drafted, neither should men. Conscription is government slavery.

16. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Using Intelligence to make right choices:

Well men have duties as well as women, you cannot expect one to sit idly and not care when his/her country is being taken over. Whether you are a woman or a man, you will fight in a war if you have to. However, just going to wars with other countries with out any threat to our country- like the war in vietnam etc. and drafting people into those wars is totally wrong and should not happen.

Unecessary wars are to be avoided by the government and people should enforce it upon that government because it is something that they have themselves created.

Therefore, we fight, but only when we have to...

Don't mind my saying , but I see too much sexual and gender distinction in modern feminists more than anything. I have seen pioneer feminists and heard what they talk about and they are not like that at all.. what they wish is equality and keeping distinctions in gender to a minimum...which is the healthier way to equality... it is about making men= women = men= women in status. It is NOT trying to make men= women>= men<= women... thank you.

17. hippie_au

hippie_au Member

well if it does happen, out cames the hippie and anti war people and the feminists... it will be like vietnam, but instead woman will be protesting there right not to go, and if pregnant woman cant go... ENTER THE NEW AGE BABY BLOOMERS.

18. Phrivolous

Phrivolous Member

If women are drafted and there are exemptions for mothers and pregnant women, I predict an immediate increase in the population. If the easiest way for a woman to get out of the draft is to get pregnant, then so be it. I believe it's the sad truth. I call it the "reverse baby boom."

This is why we have to get out there and protest the draft/war NOW!!!!

Why don't we organize a million (or smaller number) person march?

19. xthevalkyriex

xthevalkyriex Member

I think the idea of a draft is ludricous for men or women. We should be able to choose whether we want to fight for our country or not. But the whole issue of a draft is honestly NOT really an issue, it was a bill that was brought up in 2001 (by Democrats no less) and essentially was forgotten about until now, election year. I'm not worried, truthfully...even Rumsfeld has said there are no plans to institute a draft anytime soon.

20. neoteny

neoteny Member

You believe Rumsfeld?