wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ImaPeach, May 19, 2004.

1. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

hey ya'll. I just started getting what i'm pretty sure is a wisdom tooth. It was hurtin really really bad for about a week. I mean it felt like my jaw was caving in! But now it's stopped and hasn't hurt for a while. So my question is, does anyone know if you're supposed to absolutely get these little buggers removed? It ain't hurtin anymore, but i'm not sure if it'll start up again. and my dental coverage has just been cancelled, which is why i'll only go to a dentist if i really need to.
    Ta!

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Hey! Wisdom teeth grow in little by little. It hurts like hell, stops, hurts, stops, etc. By the time I got my third one, i realized I needed to take a trip to the dentist. It hurt so bad, I couldn't open my mouth. I didn't have enough room for them to grow in properly, so they became impacted. On the xrays, I saw the two that were REALLY bad growing sideways towards the back of my mouth. I had two pulled, and two surgically removed. Ow. My face swelled up to gigantic proportions. It is kinda expensive if you have to have them cut out. Mine was like $250/tooth. But, an initial visit for xrays will tell you what you need (if anything) to do. If you have enough space in the back of your mouth, it should be ok.

3. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

I guess I'm lucky, I had all my wisdom teeth removed at the same time I had my jaw brought forward. :)

4. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Yeah, I waited too long. One had abcessed and I couldn't open my mouth w/o horrible pain. I was very unlucky. My face was swollen for a week!! i missed work for like 4 days because I was so embarassed! I lost 5-10 pounds because I couldn't eat anything but applesauce and soup.

5. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

You should get them removed....but if they r impacted the dentist cannot do it....You would have to see an oral surgeon...I work in a dental office and see this stuff everyday.....:)

6. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

All four of mine grew in... They weren't impacted or anything... However, my toothbrush couldn't reach all the way behind them and I ended up getting a big cavity in one. So, the dentist thought it would be best to take them all. So, it was a nice, easy trip to the oral surgeon, for me... :)

Chewing on something helps. Think of babies, what do they do when they are teething? Chew chew chew... I rubbed them with my fingers a lot and chewed on wads of wet paper napkins (sounds gross, but it worked). The eraser idea is a good one, though I never tried it, that I remember...

7. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter Member

If you have to have the misery of your wisdom teeth removed (I did), first of all, go to an oral surgeon and have a general anesthetic; please believe me when I tell you, you don't want to be awake for their removal.
    And make sure your doctor is plenty generous with the Vicodin. The first few days after the surgery the agony is so great that at times you'll be positive you're dying. It's kind of like a pair of rusty railroad spikes twisting into your jawbone. Just keep popping the Vicodin until you get that Mr. Rogers type of euphoria where you think, "Ohhh, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!"
    And only take antibiotics if you really need them, those things trash your immune system horribly.

8. TheMoroccan

TheMoroccan Super Un known

Lol
    Man, cases are different from one another..

Ya said it doesn't hurt any more, that's a good sign.. Believe me. I'll give you 3 options..

1. You are afraid and worried.. Go see a Dentist.. Not to have it removed but for an X-ray.. there, the dentist will tell you if ya Have to remove it ( and when) or only to remove it if it's painful again..

2. second option is.. you are careless, when it hurts, it hurts, when it doesn't, it doesn't! Well, you can do that.. If it ever hurt ya again, Go see a dentist.. The dentist will tell ya if ya'll need an X ray before removing it or/and if ya need an oral surgeon..

3. third is.. to choose one of the options 1 or 2.. [​IMG].. My advice, choose number 1.

God bless..