Wind Farms Killing Eagles

Discussion in 'Endangered Species and Ecosystems' started by Motion, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

2. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

Sounds more-so a set back for eagles.

The only reason this is even news is because they are protected. All different types of birds and bats are getting killed by these things. Still they are so much less harmful than traditional forms of energy production.

3. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

No it just means green energy isn't wind farms.

4. broony

broony Banned

Too bad the wind turbines don't some kind of cage around it. I'm no birdologist but i would imagine wind turbines would kill any kind of bird.... ?

5. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

It's an idea, but impractical for a number of reason not least because it would act as a wind barrier and create all kinds of turbulent effects inside.

People will maybe realise one day what the problem is, but it'll be too late.

6. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

I don't see how they could kill penguins, but i suppose its possible.

7. broony

broony Banned

^ Well then, they might get decapitated.. :p

I'm sure that we have the technology to harvest wind without hurting wildlife. Its not using it, its getting support from those who can finically help the most. Which hardly if ever happens.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

Id like to see some news choppers gets chewed up.. more wind farms, less assholes blowing hot air out their fucking mouths!!!!

[​IMG]

9. ronny25

ronny25 Member

This killing of birds by wind turbines has been going on for years, and yet it is a story that the left stays mum on, until now, that is. They don’t give a wit about the Golden Eagles being killed at Altamont Pass, and I have a hunch that the left wouldn’t be a bit bothered by the extinction of the Bald Eagle. I’m surprised they haven’t burned it in effigy as they have the flag. Of course, that would make them appear cruel, and they are concerned over appearances.

10. willedwill

willedwill Member

It's just that the birds are often suicidal like the dolphins of New Zealand years ago. We should capture these birds or let the time pass (scientists should know how to answer these questions); and tell them to forget their objective migration routes:D

11. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read (and gets more stupid each time I read it again).

Here's a news flash for those lacking critical thinking skills... Birds die from flying into manmade stuff everyday... not only just the physical like the smokestacks from coal fired plants, but also the toxic shit that comes out of them.

That toxic shit... isn't just in the spot the plants are built either... it spreads throughout our atmosphere and into our ecosystems where the humans are also damaged by it.

The arguments against wind farms over this stupid shit are like someone bitching that because stupid people ride bicycles in front of trucks on occasion and die that we should all drive hummers.

You want to save some birds?

USE LESS POWER.

Simple eh?

12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Why wouldn't the left care about the death of Golden Eagles? Let me ask you something, do you make this shit up as you go along or did you really spend time thinking about it and this is the best you came up with? If I were you, I'd try reading a book and stop watching Fox.

13. willedwill

willedwill Member

Everyday? The Schyzoids counted.

14. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I think we're talking about endangered species here, not just a few daft pigeons not looking where they're going.

But I agree with the use less power idea, which is what i was hinting at.

Maybe the nanny state could put up a sign on each one with a diagram of a bird getting battered to death by one of the rotors, see if that works. We all know how effective the government is at protecting our interests.

15. willedwill

willedwill Member

Must make a V-LINE for the nearest chat line. Evolution, my foot.

16. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Here's how it happens.

[​IMG]

Birds fly around a wind farm in Chalmers, Indiana.

17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think it would be the easiest thing to cure there is. If you have lived in the San Joaquin valley as I have, you have seen the strips of what looks like soft brightly colored aluminum strips moving with the breeze ,hanging from some fruit crop trees to keep birds away. I thought of this the first time somebody bitched about the turbines killing birds years ago. Just attach the same things to the blades only much larger and made stiff instead of loose. They are very reflective and would warn the birds away from the blades because they could be seen from a distance. Maybe I should patent this.

18. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

I understand why people may be upset because of visual harm caused to endangered species... that doesn't change the fact that the damage we cause to ALL species, including ourselves, is many times greater then the threat from something running into a windgenerator.

It's like the people who bitch about the sound they make... The other choices are killing all of us... don't like the sound, put some fuckign ear plugs in...

19. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

We have to come up with something better than wind energy anyway - it's not very efficient and... you guessed it, sucks when there is no wind.

If scientists could finally sort out fusion power (one could use helium 3, a resource that is quite plentiful on the moon) it would be a win-win for everyone, including the eagles. Unless of course they fly into the power plant... but then they deserve what they get. Silly birds.

20. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

The solution is for people to use the power they need responsibly, and use ALL natural, non-polluting sources of power to supply those needs.

That includes windpower, just as it includes solar power, geo-thermal, tidal, microhydro amongst many others.

This idea that we have to come up with one solution that makes it possible for us all to keep wasting what we have is the cause of the problems we have now.

Well, that and the inherent stupidity of people.