win an Arguement with a meat-eater

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by squawkers7, Jan 1, 2005.

1. minjeig

minjeig Member

i think many vegetarians do know that it isn't for everybody, and most wont start a fight over diet because a) its none of my business what someone else eats and even if i thought it was my business i wouldn't say anything because b) people think you're a fanatic if you say anything about it (which for some reason doesn't happen when omnis run around freaking about about how much they looooove their meat). really, when i was an omni, i think i had one vegetarian ever make a comment about my food. since i've become veggi there's been no end to it.

and as for the arguing, i just let it go; there's no point. as someone else said, you win by not arguing at all. people can think what they want about you, which is great because it means you can think what you want about them too...

2. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

LOL, I agree... 'poor animal' when it's the meat but what do they think, the animal just *shed* their skin? I see the opposite too, by the way. I work in a history theme park. We of course use lots of skins on the benches, beds, etc... Not just leather, but skins with the hair on. Many times we get 'poor animal' comments from people wearing leather shoes & belts -way too many city folk don't realise that nice, clean, store-bought leather came from an animal just the same. And quite a few people who exclaim 'poor animal' when seeing a sheep skin even eat meat! Both of those types of people I will often argue with, or at least question their motives. (not al vegetarians are veggies 'cause of cruelty; some do it for their health only... then wearing using leather does make sense)

Otherwise I don't argue with vegetarians, why in the world should I? Everyone should be free to chose what they eat or don't eat. Even those who aren't consistant, I rarely *argue* with... I often point out the flaws in their logic -there really *are* city kids who don't realise where meat and leather comes from! :( - but what they do with that information is their own choice.

Btw, I'm not vegetarian, but I don't eat meat daily and when I buy it myself (instead of a burger on the road or whatever) I usually buy eco meat... the animals are still killed, of course, but at least at eco farms the animals have a lot more room to move around as long as they're still alive, and aren't given all that chemical junk -I don't know how it is in the US but the laws for carrying the eco brand are pretty tight here in the Netherlands.

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

What is the big deal of winning or losing arguement? Life is not a contest.If you lose an arguemnt with someone , you should be thankful towards them for having taught you something about life.

4. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

I always found this laughable, I'm not a vegetarian and wouldn't argue with anyone who was in an attempt to get them to start eating meat. If anything I find it the other way around, alot of vegetarians seem to be elitist wankers who look down on everyone else who eats meat and has no problem in lecturing people who eating meat and about the poor animals and how only a vegetarian diet is the only truely healthy one and all the rest. I'm sure their are meat eaters who probably would argue with you like you said, but be under no illusions, vegetarians are just as bad.