Will this work?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by KyndMama07, Apr 11, 2007.

1. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

My hair is just above my shoulders. I have very loosly backcombed most of it. Do you think that if I just wash it that these over time will form to be dreads? I ask because I have tried doing the just no brushing and using dr. bronners for like a year and nothing happened. I have very silky, thick hair.

Also, does wearing a tam have any effect on the dreadlings? Like does it help or inhibit the dreading process or does it have no effect at all?

2. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

you washed your hair and left it alone and had no noticeable changes???

3. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I was going to ask the same thing...it seems hard to believe.

4. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

... are you using conditioner? i'm so confused.

5. beautiful_freak

beautiful_freak Member

hmm yeah odd.. I think it will knot up now that it is loosely backcombed though..

6. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

Yeah I have been so freaking frustrated with my hair. I have used Dr. Bronners peppermint and lavender soap over time. I haven't used conditioner. There have been a few times that I used Burts Bees shampoo. I think there was one time I had an itchy scalp and I put aloe in my hair. Other than that, nothing. Sometimes I have a tangle or two but they seem to come out over time. I wish I knew what the problem was. Everyone says just leave your hair alone and it will dread. But geez, no real tangles even after this long? ALso, I have backcombed my hair before but the knots started slipping out a whole lot but this was before I decided to leave my hair alone.

7. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Do you wash regularly?

If your hair is oily, it will not knot...

8. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

yeah, annies right, if your hair is oily its going to keep it from locking, you should switch to a tea tree oil based shampoo, and wash frequently with it, the tea tree will strip the oils right out of your hair, works wonders, and I don't think it's overly damaging like salt.

9. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

I typically wash every other day. So no it doesn't really get oily. I just hope that this super loose backcombing/little tangling makes my hair more likely to dread.

10. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

ill post a pic of what I have so far in a bit

11. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

Well yeah I wondering the same thing but I use whats left after buying that super kit shit from like a yr ago. And there shampoo is making a difference my hair is like 5-7 inch long and it's seperating atleast (in one day amazingly and I have same hair as you) strip all them oils out lol.

12. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

what shampoo are you using?

13. Barstar

Barstar Member

I feel you with the super thick silky smooth hair. I havent brushed my hair in probably 4 years (that includes no running my fingers through it) and just use bronners. Its annoying for trying to dread but nice when you want to look more pulled together and typical american(yuck).

14. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

I use Dreadheads shampoo. But from having my old set it helps lol. But yeah I would loosely backcomb it will unravel ofcourse but it will knot up...

15. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

i can understand that your hair is not knotting up. i had hair about that length and i would wash it with a bar of soap and never brush it or anything and it just stayed the same. i wasnt trying to get dreads, thats just hoe i took care of my hair lol. i guess it was habit left over from having my last set of dreads. but i think its just the length, it unravels itself if you dont have the right hair texture.

16. sped

sped Member

My hair wouldnt knot up naturally =/ But it could be because Im half malaysian and half caucasian... and so my hair is very thick and slippery

17. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

ok, now i have knots underneath and it's like one big mass of hair "under" my hair. the hair that's on top of all the knots is straight pretty much. I'm doing the wool rubbing thing.

18. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

After about a week...yes it works. But now I am worried about what to do after my dreads get too long. Like what happens in like 10 years if I don't want them anymore. My hubby won't let me shave my head. I think this was a bad idea.

19. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

If you decide you don't want them anymore, you'll have to cut them out, not quite shaved though, you'll still have an inch or 2.

20. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

Do dreads get insanely heavy after many, many years?