will reiki help "phantom pains"?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kitty fabulous, Dec 28, 2004.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

my mother recently lost her leg to diabetes, just above the knee. she is currently in a nursing home for rehabilitation. she has been getting a lot of "phantom" pains, and the painkillers her doctors are giving her aren't helping. she's in agony.

i was wondering, will reiki help her with the pain?

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

maybe. it wont hurt her, anyways. it might not take away the agony, but she might find it relaxing so that it's a bit easier to deal.

sorry to hear that your mom's in such pain.

3. willow83

willow83 Member

what is reiki??

4. Mui

Mui Senior Member

My mom and aunt do reiki, when im in pain my mom will do reiki on me and it does seem to help for headaches and toothaches... its worth a shot !

5. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Reiki is a chanelling of the energy that is all around us for use in hands on healing. a big part of it, I beleive, is the 'patient' believing it if it will work or not. It certainly won't work if she doesn't believe that it will.

6. Mui

Mui Senior Member

i didnt think itd do shit but it stillw orked for me, i dunno

7. element7

element7 Random fool

Yes. A must for the Reiki process is the permission from the patient to help. At least that is what I was taught.

As far as phantom pains and body memories it can't hurt because the process is simply assisting the flow of the energy and helping to direct it to the needed major and minor chakras in order to help unblock them or to get rid of negative. There are also techniques designed for a person to do upon themself on a daily basis with little or no experience. Also one can do reiki on food and then give it to someone who is ill or in pain. With something like what is described I'd reccomend a master both to do the reiki as well as teach some basic self healing techniques.

I wish the both of you better days ahead.

8. ophelia68977

ophelia68977 Member

Since phantom pains are psychological in source, I definitely think that the reiki could help her, as long as she believes in it. Sort of like the placebo effect. Plus, any kind of attention and care, such as reiki or any other kind of gentle healing, helps a person to feel better and recover- even if the pain is nonsomatic