why would you not?

Discussion in 'Recycling' started by ROLLINGALONG, Sep 22, 2011.

1. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

....i recycle...my town has a 3 bin plus trash deal going on...

each home gets 40 1-bag stickers for the 26 pickups during the year..every other thursday...1 sticker per big trash bag

each home gets a green bin for organic waste.i yellow bin for anything that is a comtainer...and a blue bin for fibre such as cardboard and paper

in my house you get told pdq if you mess up my bins or my garbage...i am militant about it...almost ocd...i have a teen so even redistribute his gross teenboy trash from his room.....

maggots can be a problem if you throw meat in the green bin...flies and wasps are constantly trying to get me...i endure because i believe:)

i am interested in what they do to recycle in your town?

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

we are allowed 3 bags per week..unlimited blue box and we do have those stupid green things but no one uses them ..organics go in the compost pile in the back yard

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

I only give the garbage man what isnt worth much money.. all metals I usually keep. Even if its pots and pans..

4. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

We have 26 pick-ups a year too and are allow to fill up a garbage can sized container. I once filled it full of iron including an electric table saw motor. It must have weigh a couple hundred pounds. :D

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I am not 100% absolutely sure what happens in town re trash pick-up; but, I have been told you get your trash picked IF you have it in the exact right kind of container. There are no bins, no stickers, no nothing.

In fact, you have to have a special pass on a special day at varying hours if you even think you are going to take something to the county landfill.:bobby:

If we leave too much stuff (or extra stuff) we have to pay extra to get it picked up.

I think this is the most wonderful, forward-thinking trash pick-up/recycling plan I've ever heard! Sounds like I could really get some serious cleaning done if I had somewhere to "put" the junk & etc without fear there wouldn't be room in the trash for it either! :p (that is, until another week...or Wait For Them/try to catch the pick-up ppl and pay them +)

It would be a GOOD thing if each county had something like this readily available (and encouraged) for all ppl. I know we all certainly have to pay taxes each year.

6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

LOL ^ how funny. :D

That sounds like something I would do.

7. Scrogs

Scrogs Member

Here we have a three bag program.

Green for compost which goes into landfill (yes it gets maggots in the summer time too)
    Blue for recyclable items which goes to the recycle depot
    Clear for everything else, which they ship to a landfill out of the municipality.

Each bag is transparent so you can see through it and if you try to throw anything in the wrong bag, the waste collection people won’t even take it. You get a big orange sticker on it saying ooops. They will do it for something as minor as a q-tip in the wrong bag. This system either forces you to recycle, or you have to pay each week to take the garbage to the dump yourself.

8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I like your sig. with the cat. Plus, you have TNG on T.V.:2thumbsup:

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

steel?..you should have brought it to the scrap place..all metal is worth the trip espcially a few hundred pounds (unless its too far to drive)

we get stickers here if we put out more than three bags a week they wont pick up the extra one and leave a nasty sticker on it with the rules ...same if over weight...they would never take a bin that was heavy

10. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

True, I probably could have gotten money for it. We have trucks with hydraulic arms that lift the containers so there is no weight limit. Although it does make a lot of noise when it falls in the truck.

11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i knew bbad would say something about the scrap metal haha....

.the attendant at our dump smokes doobies...he is now a 'friend' and would likely let me dump a body if i had too

12. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

If Everybody did a little, then a lot of a little makes a something, and from that something, saving becomes habitual and from those habits the degree of such can increase and move (hopefully) in the right direction for the future - meThinks
    ;)

13. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

:D ROFL :smilielol5:

14. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

1 22kg bag of garbage, unlimited recycling, and unlimited organics(compost)

when I found out my kitty litter could go into the organics, my garbage bag size dropped lots!

now I only need to put out my small kitchen garbage!

I feel good about consuming less :)

15. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I'm the same as you, blue bin for containers (they take ALL plastics now), grey bin for paper/cardboard and plastic bags, green bin for organics. The bins are collected on alternate weeks.

We have a 2 bag garbage limit (52 weeks) that I have never gone over, then you have to buy tags. I don't know what they cost because I have not needed them.

I keep a 4L ice cream pail in the freezer for meat bits in the summer, and just pop the frozen block in the bin on pickup day. Keeps the maggots down. Winter of course, is no problem. ;)

16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

not a god dang thing. and thats not just my town, thats all the surrounding towns.
    they do have what they call convenience centers where you can bring all your trash and they have separate bins for everything there.

17. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We have to drive our stuff to our county recycling center, pretty much the same as pensfan13, I guess.

18. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

it takes MORE energy to pick up the recycleables, sort it, reprocess it into a bulk state and then return it into something useful than if you were to just extract more of the junk in the first place

so in that aspect, recycling sucks.

the only reason i do, is because it seems like a shitty thing to put shit in a hole somewhere, expecting it to just disappear.

we have blue bin recycling, but i don't think they take glass.

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Recycling doesn't pick up here but there is a recycling drop off a mile from my house so I take it there, everything but organics