Why people believe conspiracy theories--and in the conspiracies behind them

Discussion in 'Conspiracy' started by Okiefreak, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I'm opening this thread because there seems to be interest in the subject, that was under discussion in a previous thread on the pertrodollar conspiracy that was closed, and that came up on another thread on which it seemed off topic. There are a number of articles out there that shed some light on the subject:

Why So Many People Believe Conspiracy Theories
    The 6 Reasons People Believe in Conspiracy Theories
    Why Do People Believe in Conspiracy Theories?
    https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/conspiracy-thinking-and-the-need-for-certainty/
    Beliefs in conspiracy theories and the need for cognitive closure
    Here's Why People Believe In Conspiracy Theories

Maybe you know of others that are relevant. I do believe in conspiracies. I'm sure that multiple conspiracies are going on every day in the corridors and back alleys of the rich and powerful--some maybe even involving the Freemasons, the Federal Reserve Bank,Trilateral Commission, the Bilderberg Group, the Illuminati, the Elders of Zion the Anti-Christ and/or the lizard people. I just don't think I'll ever be able to figure them out, because those folks are so good at covering their tracks. I must say, I'm dubious about Pizzagate, the 911 "truther" theories, and the "fake" Moon Landingsand the "evidence" presented thus far that petrodollars is the root of three wars and will lead to our imminent collapse is underwhelming.

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Conspiracy Theories as Conspiracies.

I think many conspiracy theories are themselves conspiracies. Take the infamous Pizzagate, for example. That has been traced to some Alt right trolls at 4chan who were inspired by a passage in one of Loeon Panetta's emails from a pizza parlor owner who was a Hillary supporter.: Ping Pong pizzaria. The conspiracy alleged that the proprietor of said establishment operated a pedophile ring that held children as sex slaves in the basement of the establishment, and that Hillary and Panetta were part of the ring. Actually, there was no basement, but who cares? Picky, picky. The story went viral and some, even on these forums, swallowed it. What was the motive for circulating the story? Obviously to discredit Hillary. 'Pizzagate': The fake story that shows how conspiracy theories spread

Or take the one about the kids killed at Sandy Hook and their parents being crisis actors. Alex Jones and InfoWars are being sued for that one. Sandy Hook Hoax Theories Explained: Why Newtown 'Truther' Arguments Don't Hold Up | HuffPost Why would anyone concoct and circulate such a theory? To explain away an inconvenient fact that was leading to public outrage against the NRA and its minnions. Some theories seek to promote politically or economically advantageous views of reality: e.g., the fossil fuel companies will tell you that climate change is a hoax cooked up by radical environmentalists who want to control our lives; Trump tells us that the bad things we hear about him are products of a conspiracy by the liberal media and the Deep State; Islamohobes claim that Muslims want to come to this country to subject us to Sharia; and every Republican knows that the Dems want open borders so that a bunch of Hispanics will come in and vote illegally for Democrats in the next election. Much policy information that we encounter in the media is from Think Tanks like the Heritage Foundation, the American Enterprise Institute, the Federalist Society, and the Cato Institute--all with a conservative or libertarian slant. I've noticed that a lot of information on the internet on petrodollars comes from four kinds of sources: a. Russian sites like Pravda and Sputnik that have an interest in sowing seeds of distrust and panic in the U.S. population; b. Anti-Semitic sites like Realjew News, which link it to an alleged Jewish international banking conspiracy; c. Christian evangelical sources warning against the New World Order and predicting imminent doom; and d. the Mises Institute, which seeks to discredit Keynesian economics and the Federal Reserve Bank in order to promote the Austrian school of economics. The libertarian politician Ron Paul fits into this category, although he may have his own axe to grind in promoting the investment advice of Stansberry and Associates for whom he did an infomercial on the currency crisis. Connoisseurs of conspiracy may appreciate the irony that I've just advanced one of my own in blaming these groups for the petrodollar theory. But at least I have no personal interest to promote, hold mt beliefs tentatively, and insist on substantial evidence before giving them credence.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Why People believe Conspiracy Theories

Why do people believe in conspiracies like Pizzagate,Sandy Hook, and the 911 "truther" conspiracy? Surely not because they're privy to "what goes on among powerful men in the US."

Cognitive Closure. "Some people may latch onto a conspiracy theory because it is the only proposed explanation and it offers cognitive closure. I do think that even when cognitive closure is not the primary reason for falling into a conspiracy theory, it is a major psychological feature of conspiracy thinking. Conspiracy theories provide a dramatic narrative that can potentially explain everything. There is no uncertainty or ambiguity. In fact conspiracy theorists use uncertainty as an argument for the conspiracy. Conspiracy theories are largely based on the argument from ignorance – the inability to provide a proven explanation for every tiny detail of an event is offered as evidence for a conspiracy." https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/conspiracy-thinking-and-the-need-for-certainty/

Poitical Disaffection and Distrust of Authority.
    Nearly all conspiracy theorists demonstrate hostility to authority figures, presumably because these figures have the power to exert control over them. As lacking control feels unpleasant, authority figures are indirectly blamed for causing that discomfort.... It's likely that many conspiracy theorists have suffered at the hands of an authority figure in the past, such as a parent, teacher, or employer. For some, this suffering may have less to do with power being wielded, and more to do with kindness being withheld. A lack of love or intimacy from parents could be a key precursor to disliking authority figures, and it has already been linked with anxiety, mistrust, and independence." Imhoff and Lamberty (May 23, 2017), "Too special to be duped: Need for uniqueness motivates conspiracy beliefs.European Journal of Social Psychology:"Being the one who sees through the smoke screens that hide the incredible truth might not only give people a sense of greater control (because they see through the plot) but also the sense of being special, of being one of the few people who see the truth. They may think, 'If it is just me who understands the real dynamics behind important events, I am not only in control but also special and unique.'https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ejsp.2265 https://doi.org/10.1002/ejsp.2265
    Why believe in Pizzagate? Possibly because believers a're alienated from the political system in general and Hillary in particular, so it makes sense to them she'd be involved in a pedophile ring?There are millions of people in this country who believe that Barack Obama is secretly a Muslim who helped plan the attacks on 9/11, and comparable millions of equally disadvantaged people who believe that Donald Trump plans to build concentration camps and fill them with minorities who disapprove of his policies. What all these millions, then and now, share in common is a sense of the lack of their own power—and when you feel you don't have any political clout, you tend to overestimate what real political clout can actually accomplish (at least, in a functioning democracy)." The 6 Reasons People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Self-image.
    "Research shows that people who feel socially marginalized are more likely to believe in conspiracy theories. We all have a desire to maintain a positive self-image, which usually comes from the roles we play in life—our jobs and our relationships with family and friends. When we know we make a positive difference in the lives of others—as parent, spouse, friend, teacher or mentor—we see our own lives as worthwhile, and we feel good about ourselves. But say Uncle Joe is on disability and hasn’t worked in years. He feels socially excluded. However, he does have plenty of time to surf the internet for information about conspiracy theories, and he can chat online with others who hold similar beliefs. Thus, belief in conspiracy theories gives Uncle Joe a sense of community. Furthermore, his research into conspiracy theories has given him a sense that he is the holder of privileged knowledge...You may offer counterevidence in an attempt convince him to give up his conspiracy theories, but you’re unlikely to succeed. This is because you’re arguing facts, while Uncle Joe is defending his sense of security and his positive feelings about himself. And for all of us, self-image trumps facts every time." Why Do People Believe in Conspiracy Theories? Douglas, K. M., Sutton, R. M., & Cichocka, A. (2017). The psychology of conspiracy theories. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 26, 538-542.

Last edited: Yesterday at 3:21 AM

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Okiefreak likes this.
  6. I find that "conspiracy theorist" is an ill-defined term. If I espouse a belief in a single conspiracy, am I a conspiracy theorist? Or does it have to be a hobby of mine?

No distinction is being made. Therefore, if you believe in any conspiracy, you're lumped together with Alex Jones and David Icke (?). It does seem to me to be a deterrent from holding any opinion that is divergent from the official record of events. And I think this is intentional on the CIA's behalf, as well as in the minds of many who are simply opposed to any-and-all conspiracy talk.

In 1967, the CIA Created the Label "Conspiracy Theorists" ... to Attack Anyone Who Challenges the "Official" Narrative | Zero Hedge | Zero Hedge

I, personally, enjoy conspiracy theories. I find them fascinating. That isn't to say I believe in them all, but they are interesting. And I don't think they're dangerous, either. No more dangerous than the official version of events, anyway. There are always crazy people who take things to the next level, and that's true whether they're inspired by a conspiracy theory or the nightly news. Freedom of speech is a God-given right, and people should be allowed to discuss whatever they want to discuss.

The way things are going, though...we're close to regarding conspiracy theories almost as thought crimes.

I think the really sick individuals are those who always take the government at its word and react so adversely to anyone who questions their leaders. Questioning authority is why we're a nation in the first place. But I suppose questioning authority alone isn't enough to make one a "conspiracy theorist"? Or is it? I'm not sure.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I believe....

Because it annoys people. :p

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Because they can't handle the truth...

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Actually I think it's the opposite of that. A conspiracy theorist to me is someone who isn't comfortable with what they've been asked to believe or told to believe. If you're just going to take at face value everything the government and religion and science tells you, then you're just a slave to their system and you keep that ball rolling for them whereas a conspiracy theorist is like a flat spot on that ball and you know what happens to good conspiracy theorists? They miraculously go missing without a trace which tells me they were on to something that somebody didn't want out in the open. There's distrust there. So nope, I'll never believe what they tell me.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There's only a few conspiracies I get into.

The first moon landing I reckon was a crock of shit.
    I reckon they've found shit on Mars and won't tell us
    Maybe ancient aliens but I don't think that's a conspiracy.

And the problem is all people will tell you, well if it's all fake then why aren't there people out there to disprove? And the answer is there are, but they're only known as conspiracy theorists, and conspiracy theorists have been declared to be, well, fools so they are never taken seriously. But they're really just truth seekers. They find something that doesn't add up and they want to know why, which I think is much more appropriate than throwing your arms up and saying "yeah well, my government says this so it must be true".

Oh and I don't believe the area 51 was a weather balloon. :p not saying it was aliens, but I don't believe it was a balloon either.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This is not necessarily the truth...

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Ajay0 likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I believe the theories I do because I can see the motive to lie about them and the data that shows this lie.

It's often a world full of emotion and politcal division. It's a world where the truly hateful and mentally ill can speak. For this reason it can attract some very bad ideas and people who don't see the big picture. What they do see is their own narrow agenda. But, if we label all this discussion as a mental illness it's a disservice to knowledge.

You have to look for the real data. There is a lot meant to discredit and make the average person laugh and take no interest in the topic.

For example do you notice how much Flat Earth people are the punchline of jokes now? I see that as purposeful. If you think all us conspiracy people think the Earth is flat then why do you listen to us about other topics? The "man" knows this. Disinformation and goverment plants are the best way to silence us. We are not all that stupid.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well conspiracies, otherwise known as networking, when its more innocently intended, do happen, baaaaaaaut, when a rumor is OBVIOUSLY politically motivated, well, logic says take anything you can't confirm by your own observation, with a very large grain of salt.

18. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

con·spir·a·cy
    /kənˈspirəsē/
    noun
    noun: conspiracy; plural noun: conspiracies
    -a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.
    -the action of plotting or conspiring.

The reason people believe in conspiracy realities is because they are smart enough to question the official narrative. They realize that the media lies and the government covers up their tracks, and history books are revised. The conspiracy reality of the government wiretapping all our phone calls and reading all our emails was just a "conspiracy theory" until Edward Snowden blew the lid off of that one. The media vilifies and mocks such people who question the narrative, because they see us as a real threat.

Irminsul and neonspectraltoast like this.
  19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Some people have a knee jerk suspicion of their own government, and reflexively attribute bad things to it because it furthers their counter-cultural narrative that their own anit-establishment views are correct. There certainly are real conspiracies, but belief in them, like belief in anything else, should be based on a preponderance of evidence, not a hunch. Some people, of course, like to circulate false narratives for the purpose of stirring shit.