Why new music sucks

Discussion in 'Music' started by backtothelab, May 21, 2004.

1. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

We need more instruments! Look at all these bands out, guitar, drums and bass. I am in no way saying these instruments are bad, but what about the trumpets and flutes and double basses and synths and harps? People think that because an instrument is considered "classical" or "jazz" or "techno", thats all you can use it in. I think alot of the reasons why people are so uncreative with their music now a days is that they are simply playing the same instruments over again. I love playing new instruments, things i've never touched before, the creativity flows so well.

2. KJ is cool

KJ is cool Member

maybe you should dig a little deeper

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I agree you should dig a little deeper... There are many bands/artists today who are extremely creative and who don't ONLY use the basic guitar/bass/drums/and maybe a keyboard.

Check out Godspeed You Black Emperor or Sigur Ros... and those are not the only ones...

4. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

5. daymuse

daymuse Member

I do suppose this is how it's always been, but I think the problem is that are too many rip off bands and not enough bands to be ripped off. Also, lots of bands today get bamboozled into letting a producer have creative control. Which leads to one-hit wonder bullshit and overly played radio hits.
    Though, It seems that trend is changing. Lots of up-and-comers are addin' a lil flava to the shit-stew.

6. HappyHaHaGirl

7. daymuse

daymuse Member

Guster are dicks. The music is ok, but the people making it...nah.
    We like to call em buttguster.

8. HappyHaHaGirl

I don't like the singer. Brian, the drummer guy is nice. My friend is friends with him and we've hung out a couple times. He's funny. The dude with the afro seems like a dick, though.

9. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Im talking mtv emo pop fm radio crap.
    Most of the music i listen to involves instruments that are far from anything considered conventional.
    I have no need to dig deeper

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

But who cares about that stuff?

If they did incorporate such instruments, they'd probably do it in a way that is very conventional and not all that creative.

11. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Ohhh and I always thought it was the lack of soul, talent and balls. Superficial lyrics wouldnt have anything to do with it would it?

12. FREE

FREE Member

i tell you what man

i aint one for new music at all
    but i noticed that the white stripes song"seven nation army"was pretty allright,i even went so far to listen to the black eyed peas man.some are good and some aint...sue em
    FREE

13. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

there's lots of good new stuff out there to be found

14. dropacid_notbombs

dropacid_notbombs Member

the reason new music these days, sucks and seems like its so marketed and not really a form of creativity anymore is because it is. People found out that a lot of money can be made from muisc and again human greed took over and buisness started to invent bands that all these little teen girls and guys want to hear. Like how else could most rap and pop because so popular. Its all because of human greed and marketing. They give people who know jack about music something shitty and say its cool, and all of a sudden its like a fashion statement. Either you listen to it or your not cool. While to hell with that, i love my classic rock and i wouldnt trade it for anything.

15. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

It seems more of the bands today (not all of them) focus more on lyrics than the instrumental part of music. Like Seven Nations Army by White Stripes. The guitar and bass in that are very simplified. We won't have another Jimi Hendrix. I think this could be because of what rock is competing against. Basically rap and pop music (Britney Spears). Those are mostly lyrical not instrumental.

I think people back in the 60's and 70's either focused more on instrumental or just were better at it. I don't know. Grateful Dead will always be better than the newer stuff in my opinion.

Just my thoughts.
    -Peace

16. greasytuesday

greasytuesday Member

I know exactly what u mean... check out the music in my sig, its just music of randomly mixing genres... u'll probably think its a bit silly but I don't have the most advanced music-making equipment!

17. sassure

sassure Member

There's some new music out there that's creative, but we're pretty much still in the it-must-have-a-guitar-to-be-good rut. The next wave of new music may well move away from the guitar-based sound.

But can you move rock in a new direction without the guitar?

18. butterfly

butterfly Member

For fucks sake, why do you need to classify this into old music and new music. Plenty of old bands used just a few intruments. And as for the bands who do play like this, I'm sure THEY like their music the way it is. If you don't like it go and find bands more suited to your tastes, or better yet, start your own band.

And don't say all new music is crap, you're just being lazy, go out and discover some amazing new bands.

19. butterfly

butterfly Member

And the number one album over here is by a band called Keane, who are drums, piano and vocals, they're not my favourite new band, but they are quite sound, so no it's not all about guitars.

20. sicko

sicko Member

New rap also sucks because everyone is rapping about bullshit now.