why is my computer still so slow?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by soulrebel51, Aug 26, 2005.

1. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

its now virus-free, and as of 5 minutes ago spyware-free too..
    but it seems to be slower than before i deleted the virus! :confused:

its not like theres a whole bunch of useless processes running, i know which ones need to run and which ones can be terminated, and its not that there's not enough space left on here (over half of the hard-drive is free).

whats wrong and how can i fix it?

2. forest_pixie84

forest_pixie84 Senior Member

push ctrl +alt+ delete, go to task manager, then on the "processes" tab right click and end as many processes as it lets you... not the best thing to do but it always works for a while... by the way DO NOT do this to TASKMGR.exe, explorer.exe, or IEXPLORER.exe

you'll close every program individually, including the ones that are giving you problems, then just start back up the ones you want

3. soulrebel51

I said...
    :p

4. forest_pixie84

forest_pixie84 Senior Member

Oh oops, (guess I should have finished reading that.) Oh well, as far as I know your screwed.

5. explorer sometimes starts eating space once you've fixed a computer because windoze is designed to use 100%, the virus showed it new space, so it's probably using that space

at least that is what I always thought, I could be dreadfully wrong......

explorer.exe is kinda important so I don't really know how to fix it, my computer has the samish problem

6. mircuser

mircuser Member

ok dude, first u need to clean ur registry files somehow with a "registry mechanic" of some sort, then perform a disk cleanup, along with a defragmentation...then it should speed things up a little.
    Just remember when you get a new computer, Get to know your running processes as they introduce themselfs as you install new software. Its the best way to detect when somthing is wrong...Or better yet look for a cracked version of WebRoot SpySweeper...Click my Avatar and look around. See what you can find that will enhance your computer experiance :)

7. raysun

raysun D4N73_666 4861786f72

hi....
    I supose you already took these steps: (disconnected from the net)
    1)scan + remove virus
    2)systemclean up with a prog like ccleaner
    3)spyware scan with adaware + spybot
    4)systemdefrag +diskcheck(with auto repair etc..)
    sytem reboot...
    a windows update
    hope it helps...
    Code:
            I also use house call online scan nice vscan (choose complete scan):
            [url="http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan"]http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan[/url]

Code:
            security scan (trojan ports scan etc...)
            [url="http://www.pcflank.com/"]http://www.pcflank.com/[/url]

Code:
        antispyware scanners...one scanner doesn't cover all the tracks.. I think
     [url="http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/"]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/[/url]
            [url="http://www.safer-networking.org"]http://www.safer-networking.org[/url]
           [url="http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp"]http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp[/url]

8. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

On that subject, ALWAYS keep any CDs that came in da box!!! Save ur Azz!

9. soulrebel51

heh, i think I just need to buy a mac. :rolleyes:

10. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

11. altarlight

altarlight Member

You didn't say just what kind of "slow" you were referring to...initial bootup, many programs, only intense resource hog programs, web page loading, or simply everything including little things like context menus, etc.

You said you understand which processes to keep running...but didn't say what processes you checked or eliminated. Could a process that would normally be considered wanted, but not critically needed have a corrupt file? Viruses are not simply problems in and of themselves, but create problems by corrupting files in various programs. Getting rid of the virus does not guarantee there is now no problem related to that virus. For some program files being corrupted, you might not notice anything, for others you might notice slowdown or quirky operation execution, for some you might have a complete program failure in the defective program, and some corrupt files may eventually contribute to additional files becoming corrupt from the OS trying to read what is not longer there in clean logical format. You may just get system instability. Do I have the expertise to be detailed on that? No, but I've experienced at least some of them, and either figured out a workaround or ended up having to wipe the hard drive...a process I hate.

If you have a screen saver, these have been known to cause system problems, slowdowns, etc. I imagine that applies more to older screen savers. Back when I learned it was a problem, I stopped using screen savers. There is a market for screen savers, at least partly created by telling people that their monitor screen is in danger of becoming etched by the CRT gun traces...which is true, but not true of the typical home computer user today. It was a symptom particularly problematic in businesses that kept a menu on the screen at all times, whether the computer was being used for hours or not, and the guns kept retracing the exact same graphic lines and text in MSDOS or other. Today, with modern windows, this is usually less of a problem area.

Another big slowdown hog, slowing down both bootup and running, is your typical anti-virus program such as Norton. Having stopped using them years ago, and then being forced to use them by constant virus attacks, I recently researched what was being said on message boards, etc., and because some gurus said they swear by it, I purchased Norton SystemWorks 2005 (which includes the anti-virus software). Upon installation, my bootup speed quickly went further and further south until it was taking anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes (or more) just to get to a non-hourglass desktop with all tray icons loaded, etc. So, I uninstalled it and have a refund from Norton being processed right now. The program came in a twin pack that included their Personal Firewall, so I uninstalled that also.

For my anti-virus, I tried Adelphia's partner...which is free for both AV and firewall. It seemed to work okay, but I didn't like how it interrupted my work to give me needless reports (and their support people said they have no patch or workaround yet). So, I heard about a good anti-virus from a talk show host guru, and tried it. It is called NOD32 which uses a different type of virus detecting for most detection routines. So far, I haven't had any problems with it. The guru said his has never missed a virus yet, after 7 years of using it, and further stated that he has run machines side by side with Norton on one and NOD32 on the other, trying to get them to find viruses, and NOD32 found viruses that Norton missed. For the firewall, I just turned my Windows XP firewall back on. I've been told by a shop tech that since I'm running Adelphia cable broadband, I don't really need a firewall anyway, as they don't use fixed IP addresses.

Another notorious software that can slow down things and also cause system problems in a big way is America Online. I've been using it since version 2.0, and some versions are worse than others. The current version 9.0 and its updates became very problematic and I uninstalled it and installed 7.0 which seems to have less issues and runs more stable (but not without problems). Some of the things I do make it helpful to have AOL, even though I hate it. I do not use their broadband.

Other software that have been problematic, creating system problems and slowdowns are Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, especially in its earlier build versions...subsequent updates have made it a much more stable software, but not without fairly regular problems. Also, Windows update and Service Pack installations have created system problems requiring undoing the update, and redoing it at a later date.

As someone else mentioned, a registry and system clean-up and optimization program can help, along with hard disk diagnostic scan (used to be called scandisk) and defrag.

Even though you know what processes to keep, etc., it might still be a good idea to use MSCONFIG or whatever and turn off all non-system-critical processes and tray icon applications...see how it is running thereafter, and add them back in one at a time. (Upon telling it not to start these programs, you may get alert boxes telling you the system can't find the program it assumed would be running, but you can change that if you decide to leave any of them off for good.) Remember that you might turn one off that is not usually a system slower, but which has a corrupted file making it problematic...so, uninstall-reinstall might help with such a program or process, rather than having to just do without it altogether.

When you install programs, often they install myriad other programs along with the main install program(s), and those programs are sometimes BETA or otherwise not as resource friendly as the main program. If you can watch that they don't get installed unless wanted, or if you review what programs are actually on the hard drive, you might find that eliminating some of these may help a little.

When you uninstall a program, often the uninstall is incomplete, with various files, libraries, etc., still hanging around and being run. Finding and eliminating these can help...and some system cleaner and registry cleaner software can be helpful with that.

Running some older versions of programs can cause system problems and potential slowdown as new operating systems gradually support them less and less optimally. This also applies to hardware peripherals, printers, and their related drivers.

An excessive quantity of fonts installed in Windows can radically slow down the system overall.

Having a lower resolution setting for your display monitor can slow the system down on some systems. Why? I have no clue, but it is very demonstrable.

Anyway, now my computer boots up in a minute or so, and most programs run reasonably fast.
    =====
    When all else fails, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling everything usually helps (being careful to not allow programs to install a bunch of stuff you won't use anyway).

Prior to such a major undertaking as starting from scratch (above), you might want to try using Windows' System Restore, and have it go back to an earlier point in time when the system was running faster. You can go back a ways, and see how it goes. You can undo the restore I believe. Then you can go back further if the first trial didn't speed things up. A drawback is that programs, shortcuts and settings installed or modified during that period will seem to disappear, requiring reinstalling or resetting or remodifying, etc. But that can be a small price to pay for speeding things up without wiping the hard drive.

12. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

Just reformat and reinstall. That's pretty much the only real solution with Windows systems.

13. altarlight

altarlight Member

While often enough, going back to square one has been the only solution...it has also been true that such a solution often wasn't necessary. Since the original post was about NOT going to square one, offering some ideas to "check on" other than that seemed a good idea. Perhaps you have some ideas like that?

14. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior Member

Burn all important stuff onto CD's. or save it on a slave drive.
    I reformat twice a year. Clears all kind of nasties that hang around to give you headaches and grief+ waste your time figuring out what the problem is.
    Runs like a new machine every time.

15. altarlight

altarlight Member

Yes, reformatting the hard drive is a good technique, and usually clears all problems at least temporarily. However, with today's large drives and if one is installing zillions of programs, techniques helping one to NOT reformat every time there is a system problem is helpful.

If one has software capable of it, doing a low-level format regularly can be helpful and does not entail the need to reinstall all your programs each time you do it.

Additionally, once you DO reformat back to ground zero, and do reinstall all your programs fresh, that is a good time to create a backup image of the entire hard drive from which one can come back to that same ground zero much more easily in the future. Norton Ghost is a good program for that. While it can create this updatable backup on the same hard drive if there is adequate space for both the backup and updates, it is always better to use a different (non-operating system) drive. I recently went to a system like that and bought a 160GB external USB hard drive that I use for Ghost backups, and other space hogs like video files, etc.

By the way, since I don't hear the author of this thread responding, our convo probably isn't assisting him, but it's still good to put out there for ideas. FYI-I resist reformatting because it is so time-consuming. Used to be I hated it but it was a raw reality of using Windows 9x, etc. Today, I simply abhor it and avoid it at all costs. Using System Restore has helped me out of that necessity several times, necessitating only reinstalling the newest programs and having to save new documents on a separate media beforehand, etc.