Why is it that *some* hippies...

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by amberfilter, Jan 19, 2005.

1. amberfilter

amberfilter Member

.... come off mean or meaner ( sometimes ignorant too ) then other people. This does not make any sense. Can anyone explain this? Are these people just assuming that I am a typical babylonian when they talk to me? What is the point of being a hippie if you're gonna be bitter.

thanks.

2. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

because people are generally pretty negative.

but we stay positive and that's what makes us "cool" hippies! J/K

plus a lot of hippies are teens and slightly older folks who are trying to find their place and sometimes adolecent anguish gets the best of them.

3. lemon714

lemon714 Member

as with most things, there is the "than thou" factor.... one of the funniest things to come out of the "hippie" lifestyle is the "Dreaddier/deader than thou" then there is the love-er than thou... i love more than you... im more peaceful than you....

4. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

my friend pulls that shit all the time

his music is better
    he's been to better concerts
    he's done better drugs
    he looks headier

I just don't get it and people like that DO drive me nuts!

5. goldmund

goldmund Member

thats why I love Phil and Mike. The two bassists for arguably the best bands on the planet, total dorks. Alot of that vibe is a militant rasta influence. I can't stand it either. Its been that way for a long time, at least since the early 90s.

6. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I was just reminded today, that the best way to rise about the negativity is to not feed it any energy. If you starve it, it will dry up and blow away. Even as you defend yourself your fueling the fire that drives the bad energy back to you. Best thing to do is let them blow, they're only showing how imature and un-hip they are. It would be to your benefit to just let it roll off and land in the sewer where it belongs, alone and dirty. With you standing tall and shining your brightest love light. Yes even Bless them as they try to stumble you for they as the ones that follow will be a test of your strenght and fortitude. We can learn Tolerance from these ones and mercy. What we let them put us through is our own choice. We can play their hurting game or refuse to play. Life is a game of chance and we must learn how to play. The only rules being, Be true to yourself and treat others as you would treat yourself. Other than that there is only what you yourself precive it to be.

7. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

I love that..everyone should be more tolerant of each other. Just be thankful you're not like that, and do your own thing.

8. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

because hippies aren't necessasarely peaceniks,they're just people. We love,hate,shit and fart just like everybody else.

9. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

Gate, you've said some truth there. Most people think/thought of hippies as total peace freaks unable to retain their backbone. We do love peace and harmony and non-violence, but we were/are not cowards. We faught, we also sat and were beaten and draged off to jail, some were killed.
    I would not like to think of what would have happened if we were as armed and radical as the youth is today. I know there was dis-cord in the streets but were didn't have axcess to the artillery that's so easy and plentiful on the streets of today. I pray for the city dwellers when the shit comes down. I pray for us country folk too as the city dwellers will be on top of us when the city is in flames.
    I can only hope for better days and more positive attitudes, to keep the hounds at bay. I don't know when it will come or how bad or good it will get, but I know change is in the air. We all, as one race of human beings should make an effort to be more positive and show love and caring for their fellow beings. Pull closer together in unity and bring about a peaceful change, for the good of the ALL and not the good of the few. It can happen. Blessed Be

10. goldmund

goldmund Member

I think the posters are talking about the style or front of being rude. its an arrogant, egotistical, holier than thou thing. has a lot to do with fashion. you see people in the forums all the time asking how to "look like a hippy" or how to dread hair, etc.

I remember when dreads became popular on the dead lot in the 90s. Everyone had to have them. If you didn't, you weren't really a head. Moreover, the longer your dreads were, the more respect you had. There is this conformity to standards of dress, lifestyle, and thought that I cannot stand.

11. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

I agree. I've faced this before because I put out the hippie vibe but don't always "look" like a hippie. It used to piss me off that I would get that "oh, you're not a real hippie" look. It's an elitist attitude if you ask me. I used to try and rebel against it by one day dressing like a hippie and the next day dressing like a soccer mom. :) Now I just don't care. I do and dress however I want now and keep tring to send out that positive energy like Shameless Heifer said. That's what is really important. Now when I see someone with that "holier than thou" attitude, I just offer them a smile and realize that they are probably dealing with insecurities and everyone is evolving at their own rate. Remember to shine your love through and lead by positive example, not style.

12. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

People will be people. We all go through shit and need to let it out every once in a while. That doesn't mean it has an effect on what we stand for as individuals. It doesn't mean we can't express anything but joy, either. That's just being stubborn, I believe. But, you are who you are. We're all different people.

13. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

woo orsino2, you tell it like it is!

14. peace6070

peace6070 Member

mainly bc they are just that way. wether your a hippie or not doesn't mean you are always mellow...like you and me!

15. rainbowkid

rainbowkid Member

Te He He He He. 'Cool Hippies' I supose we are.

16. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

I'll sit at the top of the grade and pick them off as they come up...that is if they make it thru the pass.

17. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

Ya, Phil is kinda a dork. And I agree with the rasta thing. :mad:

18. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

bein a gangsta is very popular amoung the "headier than thou" crowd. they just frontin' yo!

19. gdhmomchild

gdhmomchild Duct tape abuser

people are people, don't matter what label you stick on them, and some tend to be rather cliquish. Look past the label they are trying to embrace.

20. littlemistymop

littlemistymop Member

being a hippie is a state of mind i believe.
    I know a whole lot of people from highschool who dress all hippy-like but theyre probably the furthest from hippies youd find.. and then i dont really dress all that hippish, just simply. its all in your mind and as long as your happy you dont have to prove anything to anyone!