Why I Will Not Be Buying A Copy Of How Not To Die.

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Bilby, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Dr Michael Gregor who has recently released book How Not To Die is selling quite well. I for one will not be buying a copy.Somewhat surprisingly it was featured in a Dr Mercola newsletter as they are from different camps.. I only get his Nutritionfacts.org into my FB feed to find put his latest misapprehensions. Some of his remarkable claims are:
    1. Conjuncted trans fat (naturally occurring) is just as bad as the other trans fat. Is this claim based on extensive, rigorous, peer reviewed academic research? No it is based on one person's opinion. This is dogma not science. Considering myocardial infarction is a disease of the 20th Century and conjucted trans fat has been in the human food supply for eons, it seem unreasonable to blame conjuncted trans fat for myocardial infarction. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/trans-fat-in-meat-and-dairy.
    2. Eating eggs gives you cholesterol that causes heart attacks. I this theory was discarded years ago.
    3. Eating animal products causes obesity. I think it safe to say the medical and nutrition consensus accepts the research done by Dr Robert Lustig on fructose being the main cause. Dr Gregor appears to have some outdated ideas.I wonder if he believes in using leeches for blood letting.
    4. Everyone needs to minimize their salt intake, even people like me who have hypo-tension (naturally low blood pressure).
    5. There is no safe level of consumption of saturated fat. I thought this idea was dead and buried long ago.
    I think that Dr Gregor has a case of cognitive dissonance.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Ummmm.... everybody dies. Silly doctor should know that.

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Going by some of the comments on the FB feed of Nutritionfacts.org it would seem some people see Dr Michael Gregor as a guru. This is totally against my way of thinking. Everyone should learn to think for themselves.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

You'll live...