Why don't we have anything better to do?

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Digital Underpants, May 27, 2004.

1. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

I am just curious about why some people have nothing better to do than spend all there time worrying about what is in there food.We are so spoiled in america it makes me sick. At least you have food. And running water and eletricity unlike some countries. Please if you have a beef about something corporate that is one thing but Oh nO not evil food products I don't know what I am gonna do! Be more concerned with the important shit is what i think. Now I am also a vegetariam but I don't spend all my time running down meat eaters or trying to decipher hidden ingredients.Eat whole natural foods and you don't have that problem.
    Give me convenience or give me death is a motto some of you should adopt.

2. Digital Underpants

I am just saying really we could worry a little less about food around here.

3. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I'm sorry, I do worry about what is in food. I have two children to feed and I need to make sure that they are not eating crap. It seems you should heed your own advice and not bitch about other people who are worried about what they do or don't eat.

4. Digital Underpants

don't act like you are the only one with children. I make sure my daughter eats well. Of course there has to be a measure of concern for what you eat but I am tired of all the threads about it so meh. Also I do heed my own advice lady.

5. Tô®n

Tô®n Member

If you want to worrie about food, well read my signature, that shows where I stand on the issue....

6. Digital Underpants

Awsome quote that song is in my mind all day today. Go System!

7. WhatIs

WhatIs Member

The news of the last 50 years is full of stories about food and drugs introduced into the world by man that never existed before. Things that were supposed to be good, and turned out to be really bad.

Here's a simple test - if people haven't been eating it for many generations, don't put it in your body.

I suggest that if any company wants to introduce something new for ingestion, the board of directors and their families should consume it for three generations before the are allowed to release it to the general public.

8. Tô®n

Tô®n Member

So people aren't like "wtf his signature is a picture" I thought I should post the song lyrics of which I quoted in my sig...

I've been walking through your streets,

Where all your money's earning,
    Where all your building's crying
    And clueless neckties working,
    Revolving fake lawn houses,
    Housing all your fears,
    Desensitized by TV,
    Overbearing advertising,
    God of consumerism,
    And all your crooked pictures
    Looking good, mirrorism,
    Filtering information,
    For the public eye,
    Designed for profiteering,
    Your neighbor, what a guy.
    BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM,
    Every time you drop the bomb,
    You kill the god your child has born,
    BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.
    Modern globalization,
    Coupled with condemnations,
    Unnecessary death,
    Matador corporations,
    Puppeting your frustrations,
    With the blinded flag,
    Manufacturing consent,
    Is the name of the game,
    The bottom line is money,
    Nobody gives a fuck.
    4000 hungry children leave us per hour,
    From starvation,
    While billions are spent on bombs,
    Creating death showers.
    BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM,

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM
    BOOM/BOOM/BOOM/BOOM/BOOM/BOOM/BOOM
    Why, why, why, why must we kill, kill, kill, kill
    Our own, own, own, own kind...
    BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM,
    BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM
    BOOM/BOOM/BOOM/BOOM/BOOM/BOOM/BOOM
    Every time you drop the bomb.

9. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

Consumer Advocacy is not just about food. It's about anything that we, as consumers, buy. Anything from toys to clothes to food to computers to cars to whatever you like...
    Consumer Advocacy is just a way of making people realise the consequences of the things that they buy. For instance, Nike and Adidas use sweatshop labour in the production of their lable clothes. So therefore, I'm not going to buy their clothing and I also try to tell my friends why I don't buy it... because I don't agree with letting huge companies benefit from child labour on the one hand and consumer ignorance on another.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

simple answer to the first post is that whole natural foods are not sold in convenience stores. period.

now why people go out and protest what they themselves create a market for instead of simply not doing so, well i think that has to do with the one real flaw of our species and that is our collective gullibility.
    if some company knows you're out there objecting to the crap they put in their products so it can sit on the shelf long enough to get their price for it without too obviously killing everybody, they also know people are out there buying them.
    voting with your pennies does move markets.
    of course a lot of people live in situations where they don't have complete flexibility to do this
    but every bit of doing as much so as we can counts
    there is such a thing as doing your homework and knowing what you are objecting to and why
    i'm not saying that to criticize anyone for not doing so
    but to encourage everyone TO do so!

11. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i was on food stamps when i first started buying natural foods. my food budget was stretched, but because of lifestyle-related health problems in my family, it was a priority for me. the first step i took was vegetarianism. this was also an economic choice: grains and beans are some of the cheapest foods in the world. the first thing i bought organic was fresh tomatoes, and soon after that was canned tomatoes. as my situation imporoved, i gradually added organic items to my grocery list, and did my best to learn about the products i was buying. the last item was milk. actually, often the milk we buy today is still not organic, but it is at least hormone-free. i learned how to save money by using sunflower milk made in my blender for baking, and replacing the expensive organic eggs with flax seed and soy flour in some homebaked goods. we are now almost completely organic. it has been worth it.

12. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

Amen To That!