Why do young people listen to oldies?

Discussion in 'Music' started by punkrocker_chris32, Oct 27, 2004.

1. punkrocker_chris32

punkrocker_chris32 Member

This one baffles me. Oldies is music for the people who were growing up in the old days. It was the songs they loved and the songs their parents hated. So why are the youth of today listening to it? Please answer this question...give me a few reasons why.

LISTEN TO UNDEROATH

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. GD Cat

GD Cat Member

i feel as if i relate more to their lyrics and what they represented then i do with todays musicians.

3. MBintheOC

MBintheOC We're all mad here..

That's true. I also feel that the music was just plain cooler than most of today's music

4. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

First of all, how can you say that certain music is only for a specific age group? Isn't that a sort of age discrimination? Good tunes are good tunes, regardless of era.

I listen to older music because it has a groove to it. It has soul. It flat out fucking rocks. Those guys were real artists, not always chasing cash everywhere--even though times were rough. Most times, it took a special talent to write the songs. One cool thing about them is that you can hear the actual complexity on a turntable.. mp3s and mpegs cut the humanity out of songs (literally, the music is ripped up and data is lost).

I don't want to speak for others but I would say that they just don't like the new stuff (to me, it sucks). Some of us are just as passionate about the oldies as you are about your new music. Maybe it reaches out to them more.

One last thing: Music doesn't get old. It just gets dusty! ;)

5. Skelter

Skelter Helter

Exactly. Good music is timeless

6. forest_pixie84

forest_pixie84 Senior Member

I dunno, I like oldies. People shouldn't have to restrict themselves to the products of their own generation. It's all good.

7. TarHead

TarHead Member

I asked this very same question on the "YES is the only band to ever EXIST" thread (or some such malarkey)...

Why do today's kids (on the BOARD at least) like the music of their parent's generation, and ignore some very viable music being made today?

Some belligerent child chastised me for not liking Yes, and because I had suggested some more "current" music...

There are some more reasonable responses in this thread... It is a testament to the staying power of older music, that many of these kids like those bands the most... I mean, to each his own... And in the last 15 years of my musical development, I have deviated a lot. From Grunge (before it was Cool) to Goth Rock to Industrial to Jam Bands to Blues to Bluegrass to Americana and Alternative "country" (bands like Wilco, Son Volt, and the like), I have been a musical chameleon. And these kids will be too...

Personally, my two favorite "studio" bands are currently making music.

Wilco
    Radiohead

In my little opinion, everything else just pales in comparison.

Whirled Peas,

TarHead

8. water_baby

water_baby Senior Member

because the music of today and the 80's and 90's sucks. it is not as deep and genuine as the oldies. i not only listen to the oldies but i dress in the fashion of the 60's and 70's. the music of your generation doesn't do it for me.

plainly speaking, the 60's and 70's had much better music.

9. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

HEY CHRIS! DO YOU LISTEN TO ANY CLASSIC PUNK BANDS FOR THE 70s OR 80s, you could almost consider that oldies now!

10. JanaXGIRL

JanaXGIRL Senior Member

I 100% agree.

11. water_baby

water_baby Senior Member

the baby boom generation was the coolest generation of all time. your generation with your ugly baggy clothes sucks. you can never be as cool as the baby boomers. your generation is very lame and when you get older you will get more lamer and no one will care of your generation because the baby boomers have already stolen the show. it's too late, you produce shitty music and dress in ugly wrinkled clothes.

12. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

are we forgetting the 20s..... they had bad ass clothes then too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sheeesh!

13. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Haha yeah the 20s were cool too...

14. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I enjoy both music old and new. i think someone else put it great.

Good tunes are good tunes

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

As do I.

16. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

not as genuine as oldies????? have you listend to some of that 50's lovey dovey crap, its like some of the songs sound like the only reason the words were there was to make the song rhyme, I am not saying all oldies are like cuz i know a lot of new stuff is like that too............ you can usually hear a song and tell if the lyrics are meaningful to the person who wrote it!

17. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

I listen to new AND old music (new when I'm in Germany, old when I'm in America! ;) )
    I listento the oldies from the 70s and 80s...and 90s...if those are concidered oldies....

18. Floris

Floris Member

Why is this such a point? Why am I even writing a reply to this? For me, it's just all about the quality of the music... Today's music is very good (okay there's this mentality of the hotter the better, but that's not music, that's just business and marketing...) Just listen to bands like radiohead, coldplay, and a lot of underground experimental dance music artists like Nathan Fake, James Holden, Petter, etc. They're great... not to mention countless prog and psychrock bands...

Old music is great too, the only difference with toda's music is the mentality of the music industry... back in the 60s music was popular when it as good, now the opposite seems to be true...

19. Floris

Floris Member

Oh I forgot to mention the Monkees, they were musicprostitutes as well, put together by the industry, because thattype of thing was popular... just to prove that musical prostitution is timeless...

20. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

an old outdated notion IMO :p