Why do you read books?

Discussion in 'Books' started by seafort11, Oct 14, 2009.

1. seafort11

seafort11 Member

I read because I am deeply unsatisfied with the world I live in.

2. Sarah_Again

Sarah_Again Inspires Irrelevancy

I read because I want to gain information about a certain subject.
    Nonfiction. Yes.

other than that, I don't.

3. Mr. Frankenstein

Mr. Frankenstein Malice...in Sunderland

A mixture of the above, I guess.

The majority of books I own tend to be non-fiction, covering my varied interests. The majority of fiction I tend to borrow from the public library.

Yeah, it allows you to mix with a better class of people :) Trouble I find is that it's a depressing come-down when having to deal with the majority of people you meet in "real" life:mad:

4. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

I read because I'm interested in the variety of descriptive finesse that people possess.
    It's also a relaxing, leisurely, and cozy way to be introduced to new ideas.

5. Tormentations

Tormentations Member

I read to be finding things out. But I dig audio books best particularrly ones having to do with R.L. STINE.

6. MBintheOC

MBintheOC We're all mad here..

I read because it's a way to time travel until someone actually does lol. It also is a way to make the unreal real.

7. LostOne

LostOne Member

To expand my mind and commune with the great minds of the past.

8. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

Because there are some amazing stories that have been written; plain and simple. The beauty and poetry of some of the ideas being presented is just astounding. I'm talking more about 'literature' than your standard drugstore novel, obviously. It's a great way of conveying subjective experience and showing different philosophies in action. It's a great escape from reality, but perhaps more importantly, it allows one to step into a different reality which one finds interesting. That's why I read.

9. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Great mind candy

10. noela

noela Member

To better my intellect and to widen my thought with what goes on in other peoples heads.

11. Lone Wanderer

Lone Wanderer Member

Its like asking
    Why do you watch Tv?
    I read because it satisfies me and takes up my spare time. Its entertaining as well.
    =]

12. Orison

Orison my dog is full of stars Staff Member Super Moderator

to see if anyone left money in them.. :D

13. I read books because they're more interesting than the back of soup cans.

14. knottygrl

knottygrl Member

Escapism, and the quest for knowledge.

15. Venatrix

Venatrix Member

I read books to better my writing, mostly. I mean, sure, I still love reading, but there's definitely an ulterior motive of self-improvement there, and if I decide a book has nothing to offer in that area, there is a pretty fair chance I'll stop reading it.

16. nldn

nldn Senior Member

Me too.

17. wild-flowers

wild-flowers forever arbitrary

Because books unravel a world we wish we had. Some books dive deep into our imaginations where we can be free just for a moment while we turn the pages. Others inform us, and beter our understanding. I read books to inspire me to live everyday as an adventure like the character in many fictions.

18. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Thats what video games are for.
    I just read books when i want to feel smart.

19. only 1 of 2 reasons.

For enlightenment. -To learn something I did not already know.

or entertainment. Because movies are summed up dramatized versions of the book they were scripted from.

20. Valdis

Valdis Member

I think I began as an escape from the scary world and people I lived with. Now it's more just for fun!