Why do raccoons love trash so much?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by deleted, Apr 26, 2019.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

why do humans love cleche's so much?

as for trash, nothing in the universe generates more of it then humans.
    (at least that humans have discovered so far)

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

" You old Coon " , she said to me funnily . Yep .

Orison likes this.
  3. Raccoons get food from trash. I know that.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

If you see a raccoon eating trash, be a nice human and take them to a fine restaurant..

5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

A pizza place dumpster on a Sunday morning is so fine . Hey ! Wash your food . Nope , ain't
    washing my pizza .

Orison likes this.
  6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I cannot remember the last time that we threw any food out. We just buy and cook whet we need. Meat left over after a roast, is either served cold with a salad the following day, or used to make sandwiches. Finally what is left is used to make soup, or used in a quiche or omelette.
    We probably inherited all this from our parents. Jane has 13 brothers and sisters, so money was very tight in her childhood. Being born just after WW2, food was still rationed when I was a child.
    Fortunately Jane, myself and both of our daughters enjoy cooking using fresh ingredients.
    Our eldest daughter hired a few friends, ordered fresh food, including herbs and supervised how it was to be cooked at her wedding reception for 70 guests. The results were probably better than you would expect from a top London Restaurant.
    The one problem is that she now expects me to build a state of the art kitchen for her, so I will be spending even less time on HF, she is a hard taskmaster.:yum:

Orison likes this.
  7. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Being Single I Only Cook What I Can Eat......And Iv'e Been Doing A Lot Of Cooking In The Last Month

And A Half......No Takeaway For Nearly 6 Weeks......And If Perchance I Do Have Food Scraps They

All Go To My Rather Large Bird Population...:smileycat:.....Even Things Like Watermelon Skins Disappear

Over Night......Chicken Carcase's Go Way Down The Back Paddock So My Cats Don't Eat Cooked

Bones.......Crows And Kookaburras Love Them......Nearly All My Garbage Here Is "Bloody Packaging".....

Everything I Buy From Cat Food To Whatever Comes Nowadays In Layer After Layer Of Packaging... :mad:.

Cheers Glen.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  8. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Raccoons are scavengers. It's what they do. And humans waste a lot of food.

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

My dingo dog eats baby raccoons . We live on a farm . Baby rabbits are candy .

10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

We do not have Raccoon's in London, but if we did, I am sure that our daughter would feed them. She loves all animals and they just seem to be attracted to her. When she was about 4 (30 years ago), she kidnapped the neighbors dog and put him in her bedroom. When Jane found out, she was petrified (she was is afraid of dogs until Christina persuaded her to let her have one).
    You can imagine Jane's reaction on that day, when he went Christina called her to see her 'doggy' and she went up to her bedroom to discovered a massive rottweiler asleep on the bed.

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I have a soft spot for them. They are too smart and wild to be a pet for most people but that will not stop me. I'm well aware of what I need to do to care for one properly. It's not an animal for everyone but they are for me. If I can fix him he will not go into heat and get feisty. You can bribe them with food when they steal your shit. They learn this quick and how to trade.:blush:

They are welcome to my trash.

12. Nicomorphinst

Nicomorphinst Members

wilsjane likes this.
  13. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Raccoons are overgrown squirrels with fingers and a sense of touch that can be a thousand times more sensitive than our own. Normally they use their clever little fingers to pick bones out of fish. Bears prefer dumpsters because they are easy to open cans for them. Dogs prefer trash cans because dogs will eat anything. In Hawaii, you always know where the dumpsters are by following the sound of cats.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  14. wooleeheron

I_Luv_Tacos likes this.
  15. wooleeheron

I just bring them kitty litter, and let nature take its course. Dump a little right outside their house. In the southwest, they still get cases of the plague, so its especially helpful there, and biodegradable. Ranchers and farmers have a different sense of humor about animals.

If you want to get exotic, you can check with your local zoo for things like tiger poop, that will drive anything with four legs away.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    I_Luv_Tacos likes this.
  16. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Why don't you love your trash so much, man

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I went to UCSB for a short while in 2008 or so... they have a massive raccoon/skunk population. Right on the beach, that school... :sunglasses:

18. wooleeheron

Yikes! Sticky fingers and stinky butts!

soulcompromise likes this.
  19. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

Raccoons do not have salvia glands. To eat , they need to dip their food in water. Or find food that is damp/wet already.
    Most food in garbage bags are damp. It is also a easy spot to find a steady food source.