Why Did Native Americans Practice Slavery?

Discussion in 'History' started by Motion, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm not sure that was the issue. It is perceived and delt with differently in conversation because the influence it had on culture and society still has an impact on current western society (mainly american).

2. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Our slaves were the children of our enemies.

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

'Our'? You owned slaves?

4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

So at what point does slavery become different due to time? A decade? A century? A millennia? Almost no black person alive in America today knows anything about what it is to be a slave. The same can be said for almost every demographic here today.

5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I can't answer that; I'm not black.

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I have given up on threads like this one for similar reasons. It's like i dunno :expressionless:

Noserider likes this.
  7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

What does blackness have to do with it?
    Blacks were not the only race that experienced slavery

8. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

I was only seekin' to understand why you implied that in your previous post.

9. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

my family did.

10. Noserider

No. But black Americans are living in the country that enslaved them. They are being shot by police for traffic stops and the president of this county looses his shit when football players kneel to protest all of this.

I have no idea what that must feel like.

GuerrillaLorax and eggsprog like this.
  11. Noserider

Because the OP is African American. I was saying there was no way for me--white--to understand her sensitivity to the issue.

It's like straight people pretending they "get" the American gay experience.

eggsprog likes this.
  12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There were plenty of Native Americans throughout the United States who welcomed escaped African slaves into their tribes including the Seminoles in Florida, and the
    Wampanoags in Massachusetts (who greeted the Pilgrims in 1620) and even today it’s tribal council and leaders are a blend, a racial mix of the two cultures.

Chairman of the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe

[​IMG]

GuerrillaLorax likes this.
  13. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Ignorance at the very least and malice at the worst, is why anyone would practice slavery. Every ethnicity, religious group, non-religious group, etc has the capacity to be either.

14. 6-eyed shaman

Slavery now being illegal is one of the many reasons I'm grateful for the Industrial Revolution

15. Noserider

Slavery is illegal?

16. 6-eyed shaman

The 13th amendment made it that way

17. Noserider

In one country. A country that still has slavery...

themnax likes this.
  18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

most didn't. trying to generalize 574 individual nations and cultures is just wrong. a few in the north east did however.
    this was a matter of why waste the potential of captured enemy. if a man was strong or a woman beautiful, why kill them?
    and in time, and again you can't legitimately generalize everywhere, in those cultures that did,
    they might become adopted in, to where they would be just another member of the same community, their 'slavery' forgotten.
    yes, that also did happen.

another one of those false assumptions is to equate slavery exclusively with people kidnapped in parts of africa and shipped under deplorable conditions to the u.s.

i hadn't realized that assumption was being made in this thread.

slavery may have first appeared in egypt, we know rome captured red headed irish for slaves.
    and even the first transatlantic slave trade was in the other direction, native americans being sold in europe.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  19. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Exactly! The amount of people on this thread acting as if all the hundreds or thousands of different Indigenous nations are one single monolithic group is sickening, and racist. Indigenous tribes are as diverse as any of the other millions of human communities who have existed around the Earth.

I know a few on the west coast of canada took in slaves after warfare, and the trajectory followed what many have already stated, the conditions of slavery withered away. But you look to other nations and in some cases you can hardly even see a hierarchy, let alone a system of slavery.

The Indigenous nation I live in now had a system where the people always had more power than the clan chiefs. The clan chiefs were just the spokespeople for the clan members, and straying from this would lead to banishment or death.

themnax and soulcompromise like this.
  20. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Where are you living? No worries if you don't want to share on here, just curious.