Why can't I write anymore?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by la Principessa, Aug 8, 2013.

1. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I posted this in the Writers Forum but got no replies. I've always had an annoying experience posting in that sub forum.

I started writing stories and poetry when I was around 11 years old, and I wrote at least one new poem or story every month up until I was 19. I have my collection written in a notebook. Everyone who has ever read my work, teachers, friends, family, etc. have told me I have great talent.

I always was kind of a depressed kid, and then I was into some hard drugs for a while which contributed to my being miserable, but it made for great writing (and I didn't only write about depressing stuff, I wrote about beautiful things in nature, etc.). But since I moved out and started my own life, I'm more content and for some reason I can't seem to find inspiration to write anything anymore. I haven't written anything decent in the past two years. For me, a line would come to me and I'd just write down whatever was flowing in my mind around that line or word. But now it just doesn't happen naturally. So then I tried to sit and think about what to write but nothing comes.

When I force it I just end up with a shitty poem that sounds hokey and stupid.

Have I just lost it or what? It pisses me off.

2. nz male

nz male Senior Member

Why not share a few of your poems here - love to hear some!

3. la Principessa

I've shared quite a few in the Writers Forum but rarely got any input. They seem a bit snobbish there.

4. nz male

nz male Senior Member

Ok, here's a starter - add your words to it ?

My life has it's really good moments ....

5. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

maybe you need some misery

I find most of my best writing comes from a broken heart or other tragic things in life

6. As you grow older you realize that people are mostly stupid assholes and it's hard to want to do anything for them. Maybe that's your problem.

7. nz male

nz male Senior Member

Prove him wrong & show us your talent - we all have hidden talents - well some of us do.

8. RainyDayHype

I'm confused. I don't think she said she was trying to do anything for anyone...

9. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

Why can't I write anymore?

Think Less, Write More

10. RainyDayHype

I agree with that

think less, feel more
    then you'll write more

11. nz male

nz male Senior Member

My eyesight ain't as good as it should be but it works well when I want it to or I find ways to make things look readable or more visible if I can.

12. nz male

nz male Senior Member

Life is hard at times & the harder it is - it challenges our abilities to either cope or improve ourselves. Life can be a huge struggle at times but that's what we have to try & put right as well - if we can. Tears can be from hurt or enjoyment & the more enjoyment you get while you are on earth, the more we wish it was for much longer.
    Cancer is something that we have all either had, or have lost someone thru its tragic forces we have no control over & its so hard to see loved ones being taken by its strength & we don't always get to tell them just how much we loved them till its too late. So never put off telling someone you love them and regret it afterwards by not showing them before they are taken from you. TRUE ?

13. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

14. nz male

nz male Senior Member

See . I do have other things I can talk openly about as well.
    I have gone thru some bad things in my life that I hate never occur again.
    Some cant be changed - family loosing their lives to illness or accidents.

15. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Sometimes life gets in the way. Also you are still young. I find there are periods in my life when I write a lot and other times not so much.

Have you ever read any books by Natalie Goldberg? I found her book "Writing Down the Bones" when it came out almost 20 years ago. I also read some of her other books and find her to really be inspirational.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Sounds like you need to get back on to hard drugs

17. la Principessa

Maybe that's my problem. I used to be more carefree and mellow, and then when life got hard I poured into writing and drugs because I never had anyone to talk to. I have people to talk to now, and I'm so much more analytical than I used to be. I think about things more, maybe too much. I'm just not the same.

I'll have to look into that. I really haven't been able to find any inspiration.