why be vegan?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by willow83, Dec 31, 2004.

1. willow83

willow83 Member

besides animal rights, is there health reasons for being vegan? what does dairy and eggs do to your body?

2. John221

John221 Senior Member

I've been told that although vegetarians are generally healthier than meateaters and tend to live longer, vegans actually have a shorter life expectancy because it is difficult for them to get all of the nutrients that they need.

3. Mui

Mui Senior Member

meat, dairy, eggs, all are arguably bad for you...

it does seem weird that we are drinking another animals milk... eggs have always brought up health issues in the news before..

4. ninny

ninny Member

john221: im not positive whether vegans having a lower life expectancly is true or false but i do know for a fact that you can get all the vitamins, minerals and numerous other things you need from plant based products, you do not need and animal based.

As for the question about being a vegan people do it because it is so much more healthy. For example meat contains an incredably larger amount of pesticides and unnatural hormones because of what the animals r injected with. this is bad for humans no matter what. Vegetables, fruit, grain, etc r sprayed with pesticides but lack the hormones, the difference is in the amount of pesticides as well. You see if a cow eats 15 pounds of grain all sprayed with pesticides to produce one pound of beef all the pesticides from those 15 pounds of grain r accumulated in the one pound of beef. Therefore a meat eater is getting much more pesticides into their system than a vegan. (In case your wondering pesticides do cause cancer) The same applies to eggs and dairy. Vegans have much lower rates of cancer and heart disease as well. sry to be rambling on ;) .
    Finally man is not meant to eat meat, if you compare our digestive tract to that of a carnivore they look 100% different, same for our teath. Anatomically we are better equiped for a vegan diet and with the elaborate grocery stores of today all is takes is a little research to find out exactly what your body needs and you are all set.
    Hope this helps, again sry for babbling on.
    niNnY

5. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

vegans main source of foods are wheat, grains and vegetables, right?

Q:how do you think they harvest wheat and grains industrialy?

A:combines

Q: whats the problems with combines?

A: Combines dont know the differance between field animals and corn. indescriminant animal death. way to fail vegans, way to fail.

so if you are vegan, dont buy comercial wheat and other grains.

grow your own corn and vegetables, and eat vitamins.

6. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

hunt for your own meat and milk your own cows, and you should be good.

hunting is good as long as your doing it for food. people are allowed to enjoy hunting, weve been doing it since the dawn of time. so all you pussies out there who whine about "OH NOES!! YOUR HURTING DEEERZES!!!" and other bullshit, suck it up. thats how nature works. animals rely on other animals killing them to counter over population.

btw, im not a hunter, never killed anything bigger than a spider.

7. willow83

willow83 Member

well, I am vegetarian but not because I think we aren't suppossed to eat meat. If it were true that we shouldn't eat meat naturally then how would people from alaska, Russia, Greenland, and other cold places survive?? there is nothing that grows as far as protein based foods in those areas for people to survive. Seals in the north contain a variety of nutrients to allow humans to survive in those climates. I agree with the macrobiotic stand point to eat what is natural to your area , so I'm sure there are some climates where it isn't nessessary to eat meat. No, I dont eat meat because of the way the animal was treated, if someone hunted and killed a deer I would eat that probably....but what I wanted to know was specifically why dairy and eggs are bad for you. if anyone has a good website or knew some sturdy facts on the subject that'd be great. Oh, by the way....Jack Straw thanks for having our website on your signature, thats cool! :)

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Could someone give me an example of a scientific study showing that vegetarians live longer that omnis?

A study by ML Burr and PM Sweetnam called "Vegetarianism, dietary fiber, and mortality" published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1982, 36:873 showed that although vegetarians had a slightly lower rate of heart disease (0.11%) , the overall mortality rate for vegetarians was actually higher.

9. PriceCheck

PriceCheck Senior Member

The only info I have and trust states that vegans and omnis are about equally healthy (if they eat right), and lacto-ovo veggies are the worst off. Reason stated was that most veggies replaced meat with dairy and that stuff'll kill ya. There are a ton of reasons why but I just don't care enough to memorize them. Ask the healthies!

(oh, I guess that's what you're doing, hmm?):p

10. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Mad Cow disease & E Coli don't come from veggies

When my kids were little and the Dr said they had an ear infection or stomache flu, he would tell meto keep them off dairy products for a couple weeks.

11. minjeig

minjeig Member

"Q: whats the problems with combines?

A: Combines dont know the differance between field animals and corn. indescriminant animal death. way to fail vegans, way to fail."

i think if i were an animal i'd probably just run away...

plus there's no failure there - we're trying to minimize suffering. although i do agree that growing your own food is ideal.

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

this is a red herring argument. what harvests the cattle feed... duh...combines?