Why aren't there any degrees without essays?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Dragonvine, May 13, 2009.

1. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

Fuckers.

I can't write for shit, and I'm petrified about my dissetation. I'm only in my first year at uni IN AN ART COURSE for fucks sake.

A ceramics course SHOULD NOT have essays. Bastards. I want to make stuff. I don't want to write.

2. caliente

caliente Senior Member

I understand what you're saying, but I think the idea is that being an "educated" person includes the ability to express yourself in writing. Otherwise, you could just go to a trade or specialty school.

When I was a student I said the same thing about math and foreign languages, which I'm terrible at. In my opinion, the ability to write is more useful and important than either of those. But I managed to get by, and now, 20+ years later, I have to say I'm glad I did. I'll bet that someday you will, too.

In the meantime, hang in there. Like marriage, a university degree means soooo much more than just the piece of paper. It will affect you the rest of your life.

3. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

i take it your in a conventional college, non-traditional colleges, will give you a degree baised on your creations with ceramics; it is a body of work, that shows you know the subject matter. traditional colleges are not the most innovative of instuitions!
    as for your term paper, find someone whom is a good proof reader and, ask them to help you improve your paper. pay them if you have too, or barter with them.
    i did that all through college.

4. Vana

Vana Member

Perhaps you should be a tad more read. Writing would be easier. I think the world would be better if people read more books. People are quickly falling into what could easily be described as illiterate.

And I should mention that there is a direct correlation between reading and better grammar.

5. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

Many universities have writing centers, places where you can get some free help and some tutoring. They won't write the paper for you, and they won't "fix" it for you, but they should be able to help talk you through your problems.

6. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

What would you be writing about?

7. Sebastunes

Sebastunes Member

The purpose of education is to condition your brain with rules and regulations of the standards of society.

The standard of a University Graduate is the function of being able to write Essays that nobody will give a fuck about. The problem you are having is that you know its pointless to your overall career(Except for passing the course) The School want you just to know that you are still their bitch and can do whatever they want with you ...

You are slowly being standardized to fit into the graduate model.

And yes is the answer to your question; however that degree is not for you .. its a degree without a degree .. and since your already aiming to get a degree to become successful and to make your parents/family/friends proud at your achievements... the other degree without eassays .. is not for someone like you.

8. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

I second the earlier response: to be considered an educated person, you should be able to express your thoughts in writing. Writing is my biggest talent, so I may be biased here. But still.

9. Xac

Xac Visitor

Listen in class when the tutor/ lecturer is talking about writing. See if you can get as many print outs of conventions they want you to follow (and any on grammar if you can get them). And finally, see if you can get yourself a book on writing, specifically about art if you can, if not you should be able to get a good book on grammar, constructing an essay and referencing/conventions.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there probably are degree programs, or something more or less equivelant, that instead of writing, require a great deal of hands on lab work, use or even design of machine tools, design of experiments, and/or creative use of bizaar technology.

of course you'll still need to express your designs/creations in some manor.

actually if you can do all that stuff, and can somehow prove or demonstrate that you can, and in ways that other people, more then just yourself, can bennifit from your doing so, an actual degree itself becomes something of a moot point i should think.

just don't expect the one thing to be any 'easier' then an other, other then in the sense of whatever is more to your inate inclination, then that will sort of keep/put you in the goove it takes to do/get there, with.

of course i may be dreaming too.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

just plagiarize the shit..

12. Xac

Xac Visitor

yeah but by the time you know what you're talking about, it's not much more effort to reference it.

13. Padme

Padme Member

I don't mind essays, I hate the fact that there are not any M.A or PHD without any courses. I have spent the last 5 plus years busting my ass to get good marks and the last thing I want is to take more courses (They're mostly at night too :mad:) I would take some English courses on writing or get a tutor to help you with writing.

14. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

thank you for bringing this issue to light i hate essays they make me beligerent, the only motivation to finish them is takin a blast of coke

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think you could probably get an associate's in drafting without one. also portfolios for art and demo reels for animation.

16. candys

candys Visitor

True story. I hate all these paper works, for me it's real nightmare. I study Computer Science and I don't want to waste my time on writings. Thanks to the online writing service PapersOwl I got good grades in English and I've finally got a degree.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
  17. Patricia Maynard

Patricia Maynard Members

I understand you, I had a similar story. When I was in college, I was given the task of writing an essay, but I absolutely did not understand why it was for me, because my specialty was not related to it. Therefore, in order not to waste my time on meaningless things, I turned to the service papersowl.com. These guys wrote everything very quickly and professionally, and I just pay for essay and I liked it. After all, it saved my time and effort.

18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I was just about to add my suggestions.
    Then I noticed that the OP has not logged onto HF since 2014. :yum::yum::yum:

19. RobertEdwards

RobertEdwards Members

If it were so easy to get rid of it, I would have done it long ago, during my college days. I didn't really find an application for this such as top cv, although I have a humanitarian specialty

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  20. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

My engineering degree didn't require many essays, but writing skill was important for technical papers and such.