Why are you opposed to privatizing Social Security?

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Pikachu, Jan 24, 2005.

?

Why are you opposed to privatizing Social Security?

1. George Bush supports it, so that means I have to be against it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I already trust that the government will safely securely my SS money for me.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I don't want to make my own investment decisions.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I would rather set my money on fire, than invest it in a bank of corporation.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't think people should have a choice where they put their SS money.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. I support it, so bring it on!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

Or do any of you even care?

2. alB

alB Member

To put it slightly differently, it's called SOCIAL Security for a reason. It represents something of a compact between generations with the older generation educating the younger and the younger insuring a minimal degree of comfort in retirement for the older. Privatization would simply reinforce the Social Darwinist attitudes exemplified by GWB et al.

3. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This a stupid survery. It's biased in its wording and therefore useless.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

Talk about loaded questions...

5. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

Add one more person who really, really doesn't like the way the options are phrased!

This privatization scheme seems like a way to reward Dubya's rich friends on Wall Street. The best way to "fix" Social Security is to raise the retirement age and to get more people paying into it. I haven't got that much money to invest, and I have so little investment experience that it's better that I have the government invest it in a guaranteed plan.

6. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There are many flaws in the way they want to do it now? For instance my father retires in about five years, for those people like him if they bring about this system he will loose all the time he has put in. He will not have enough money to invest in the new program to get hardly any social security when he retires, with the system that is right now he would be getting about 1000 dollars a month. The new system comes in that will be down to not hardly anything.

Another thing i saw them debating about this the other night, Some professional analissis people were talking to senators about it. They said the way it is set up the lower incomed people wont have enough money left to invest to really do them any good at retirement time. The wealthier people will be fine and dandy as they will have plenty to put in but the poor and some of the middle class people wont get much benifit.

This is just another system to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. And if you think there cant be coruption in a system like this you are wrong. Trust me no matter what route you go the government can do whatever they want. They have proven that after stealing money out of the current system. Trust me there will be a flaw there that they will find or make up to where if they need that money they will take it. They will come up with a way to dip into it. I dont trust any government or corporate system. There fore might as well stick with the system we have and figure out a way to get the money put back in it. no matter what route you take there will be crookedness.

7. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

i don't think anything should be privatized...

8. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

I believe social security should be a public concern because private businesses can run into financial trouble and they need to make a profit and I fail to see where the profit is in running this.

As regard to the quote above some things need to be privatised so that you pay less tax.

In an earlier topic you said about income tax not being fair. Income tax is used to pay for your public services. The more public services there are the more tax the private sector has to pay.

Schools, Colleges, Police etc are all examples of public sector services. Over here in the UK we used to have the phones, electric, gas, rail etc all under the governments control. Think how much it costs to run all those using a tax system.

Fortunately the phones were privatised and there has been no loss of service and I don't think my phone bills have gone up dramatically because there is healthy competition in the market. The same goes for gas and electric although the French appear to be hiking the gas prices over here.

The rail system privatisation hasn't worked so well because the track in the first place was old through years of neglect so the privatised rail companies have had to invest heavily and therefore had to hike prices for train companies who have passed on these costs to the passengers.

To privatise something you should look where the company can make profit so that there will be healthy competition keeping prices low and productivity up.

9. guy

guy Senior Member

privatisation can be good thing or a bad thing. in australia privatisation means companies make their profits private and their losses a burden on the tax payer