Why and how do you define (yourself as) 'hippy/ie'?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by alexanderbean, May 9, 2013.

1. alexanderbean

alexanderbean Guest

Helly everyone,

I guess the question's in the topic.
    Just wondering if the word 'hippy / hippie' has the same meaning for everyone (and if I'm correct to think it applies to me).

So how do you define the words, and/or why do you define yourself as a hippy/ie?

Thanks.

2. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Outsider

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It doesn't have the same meaning for everyone. For instance I don't define myself as one because I consider a hippie someone that was part of the hippie subculture. If someone would succecfully mimic all the characteristics of that hippie subculture in these days we might think that person is also a hippie or want to be one. That's all perfectly ok of course, who am I to say how others define themselves. But in my book, by my definition, that person is not a hippie. I would be highly dissappointed if they would care about my opinion though (only in this particular matter of course :D)

4. alex1ftw

alex1ftw Member

Hippy to me means happy,free and without anger, everyone calls me a hippy but i dont know if i am, how can i have no anger when i look at the world around me and see all this hate

5. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

I acknowledge the label of Hippy as indicating someone who lives a life of Self Responsibility, Self Reflection, Peace and Self Reliance. I know there is going to be all kinds of arguments for and against this as well as so many alternate definitions - but; to me - the term and identity springs from the timeframe of what I would call the first real modern (post industrial) attempt at breaking the homogeneous norm in the western culture. Civil Rights, Sexual Rights, Childrens Rights, Equality, Self Determination outside of the 'Box'. All these beliefs and traits are a part of the Hippy identity.
    For me - it all springs from a well of an inter-connected idea of live and let live, protect the weak and shelter the needy. Defend against the tyrannical and instruct the ignorant. Strive for a world where as many as possible have the ability to if not reach - at least explore the basis of their true potential.
    Homeschooling and co-educating, Back to the land and urban self sustainability, non violence and self defense, DIY and local trade, Equality, Humbleness, Self Reflection, Empathy, Questioning of the norm and the Mass produced society - Individualism in Community - This is Hippy.

6. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

Free thinkers and explorers of all kinds.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't really define myself as a hippie but people have been calling me a hippie since I was 18 or so. I guess I give off a pretty free-spirited vibe.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4YpqRPLIWc"]Almost cut my hair

9. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

I've considered myself a "hippie" for almost 50 years, but I couldn't give you an exact meaning of the word. It's an attitude of freedom and tolerance and anti-establishment ... plus some indefinable spirit that makes you one of us.

Not a very good definition, I'm afraid.

I'm pretty sure, however, what a hippie is not. It's not your music or your clothes or taking drugs. Those things are something, I guess, but they don't define what being a "hippie" is all about.

10. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I agree with Granny Longerhair. I also think there is something genuine about being a baby boomer and being a hippy----after all---our generation was an anomaly in all kinds of ways and we truly shaped the social, cultural, philosophical, political, and economic realms, and we still do.

However I would not deny anyone who is younger than the baby boomers to call themselves a hippy, especially if they model themselves after the older hippies and their concepts and philosophies, and I enjoy seeing young hippies out there.

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

This.

One reason why people call me what the do is the music. I listen to a wide variety of music but I started my journey with the music from the Woodstock generation.

12. Sixpence

Sixpence Member

Hard to say, but I guess it would have to do with the inner self.
    I have a hard time calling myself a hippie. I have many of the same "general traits", but I wasn`t there.
    It`s all relative in the end I suppose.

13. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I just define myself as me. I am me. You are you.

Fuck labels.

14. Micha Faith

Micha Faith Guest

the day i truly acknowledge myself as a hippy, my true goal, will be the day i without a doubt understand everyone and there opinions without hate and accept there opinion on the topic. the day where i find myself meditating with my friends in the back of my combi. i lust for peace and for people to not resort to violence. in my opinion for being a true hippy you should feel deeply about peace and not war. accept everyone for who they are. do not judge anyone untill you know them. hippies are nice and kind people <3

15. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Micah, just recognize yourself as yourself, and love yourself as yourself. Then you'll reach enlightenment.

16. outonthetiles

outonthetiles Member

I have always been a free spirit and have always leaned left. and as I get older I realize that I relate and identify mostly with what some people would consider to be hippie ideals. Some call it being a "liberal".I think someone mentioned self responsibility earlier in this thread and I agree. Also, as the poster before me mentioned-becoming a parent to 4 kids has made me more eco and socially conscious. I feel responsible for my children impact on this earth as well and want to be sure to raise them to be like minded.

17. unedited

unedited Member

hell i ain't a hippy but i have (what i think of as) a hippyish attitude to life - relaxed, live-and-let-live (on certain conditions), never been part of the herd mentality, non materialistic (which isn't just an excuse for not having material wealth, i've never chased it and never felt the need to), a certain idealism...

...plus a lot of my younger days were spent chasing trips... and i still enjoy the occasional toke.

dunno. i don't know that i'm a hippy but i do know i'm not a lot of other stuff.

peace out. :)

18. ImperorTrip

ImperorTrip Guest

I define myself as a hippy because I love a lot of things. But the encompassment of it all would be called, Life. I love life and I love a lot of the people that share it with me. I believe in peace and talking about problems to solve them. Verbal arguments deserve verbal solutions, not violence. I also love psychedelics, I've tried shrooms 3 times, Acid once, DXM many many times, benedryl (crazy hallucinogen if you didn't know) many times, LSA many times ( I actually make it haha), And some crazy ass Spice haha. I want to try DMT so badly. But yeah I just love everyone and like to talk to everyone I see. My Social circle is so big. And I like that :D.

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I was a tie dye diaper baby. Born to flower children. My rebellion was to join YCL.

I had a child, and he, too was tie dye diaper, so generation three for us.
    His rebellion is death metal.

Hippie is an odd term for me. I answer to it, but don't seriously own it. It is what it is and I am what I am and we are all together...or some such.

I'm here dancing in a circle round the sun, trying to leave this old world a better place by my works.

Eta: I should own the term. I own "freaks," my exhusbands term for the hippie sorts. And I own "hippie"in a joking way, so maybe I'm not all that attached to the word. It is, as rev says on the next post, good shorthand.

20. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Economy of speech. It takes away a lot of explanation when I try to explain my reactions to shit.

C/S,
    Rev J