Who's in Alaska?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by MattInVegas, Mar 6, 2005.

1. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Anybody in Alaska? Anywhere? I'd like to talk at ya if you are...
    PM me, or reply here.
    Thanks.

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'm here!

3. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

Not currently there, have been twice though.
    My father and sister both live in Fairbanks.

4. MattInVegas

I was just curious about what it's like to live there. I've lived in COLD places and it doesn't bother me. I get along WELL with Native Americans. I'm sick and tired of Desert and Cacti.

5. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

I can tell you this, my father has lived their (in the Chena River valley) for 8 years and there is no sign of him departing anytime soon.
    Alaska is the most amazing place i have ever, and will ever see in my entire life. Its one of the last true wildernesses. There is something like only 3 percent of the entire state that is actually occupied by humans, and the state itself is bigger then twice the size of Texas.
    Its a different way of life up there. I do plan to own a piece of land there someday

6. MattInVegas

Shit! Sounds GREAT! I'd have to go to a small to medium size populus. Smaller than Fairbanks, but larger than say, a place with three or four shacks and one bar.
    I'm thinking a place with a population of about 2000 people.

7. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

Where my father lives is techically considered Fairbanks although he's not actually in the 'city'. He's like a 15-20 minute drive from it. I think its the ideal situation being in the middle of nowhere on some tiny dirt road yet your still able to go into town to pick up the necessities.... You don't want to cut mankind out completely in a place like Alaska.

8. MattInVegas

Anyone know about the Kodiac area?

9. MattInVegas

Nevermind the Kodiak area. I just learned the cost of living there is 130 percent of the US National Average! Fuck THAT!

10. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've never been to Alaska, Matt, but I have heard from a friend that has been there that the cost of living is somewhat higher than in the rest of the US because so much, esp. food-wise, has to be imported from other places that have longer growing seasons. Not sure what the numbers are, as this is hearsay information from a buddy...maybe dirtybongwater knows more...

11. MattInVegas

I got my figures from the STATE website. (Alaska.com)

12. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

The cost of living is a bit higher then the national average, but citizens of Alaska also recieve a check from the govenrment every year because of the oil revenue. If you play your cards right and are involved in the right profession you can live quite well.
    Quite a few of the citizens make enough money in 9 months out of the year to where they can take the remaining 3.

13. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I lived there when I was younger.... most beautiful state in the union. I miss it :(

14. prismatism

prismatism loves you

howdy. i live in alaska. the winters are pretty harsh but they're beautiful, and the summers are absolutely amazing. and the people are great too, but i live in a small town. actually, if you've seen Snowdogs, it's the town their town is based off of :). a tiny bit more populated though.

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hi Matt:
    Seward, Alaska our little bit of heaven. We are about 125 miles(by road) south
    of Anchorage. Simple to find, go south on Seward Hi way, when you run out of road your in downtown Seward. All 2 1/2 blocks of it.
    Seward sits at the head of Resurrection Bay, its an ice free port, so thats why the Alaska Railroad starts here. We are a commercial fishing port with 3 fish processing plants. Numerous charter boats for sports fishing.
    First thing you notice when you get here is the snow capped mountains(which will knock your socks off) . See moose wandering down the side of the road,or a fox or bear wandering along.
    I got here 3 days after I graduated high school in June of 1967. I grew up in west L.A. and went to high school in Mendocino County in northern Calif.
    As I tell the tourist, shit man I ran out of gas and am still here.Or Im on parole and they wont let me leave. Truth is I cant think of any other place I want to hang my hat.
    Since this is an old thread, I'll cut and paste it PM you and also post it.
    ...........................Alaskan aka..Dennis..............

16. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

hey, man alaska's awesome. i'm in anchorage. but i'v been to seward and hope and they're all rad. i lived here all my life. it's just groovy.

17. Alaskan

Hi Adrien: Hello from Seward. I havn't lived here my whole life, only about 40 years.
    Don't know if it's rad ? We dont have any fast food joints or traffic lights.
    The fishing is great and the view of the ocean and mountains are worth a million bucks. I think a young man your age would get bored to death living here.
    Come on down and enjoy yourself........Dennis.......

18. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

one of my friends works up on the slope for Conoco/Serverson... he says alaska is absolutely amazing.. but he still flys back to minnesota every two weeks when he has off... oh yea.. and he makes some serious cash up there too... 80K+ year

19. Alaskan

Jokerman:
    I to have worked in Prudue Bay off and on over the years. My first job there was building the pads for the first loads of freight and equipment coming to start work on the oil fields.
    My last work there was about 6 years ago running a tug boat at west dock, the main receiving harbor for the slope.
    The big problem these days is there is too many out of state workers there, taking the oil money out of state. About the only money spend here may be a couple of cocktails at the bar at the Achorage airport while they wait for their flight home.
    We dont have a state income tax so none of the money stays here.
    ..............Alaskan.....................Republic of Alaska............................

20. LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer Member

I live in anchorage, its not too cold as far as coldest in the us... well I take that back there are some really cold places up state. I have also lived in North Dakota.... it was colder there then here in Anchorage beleive it or not, the coldest constant temp was around -20 here and that was only like a few days, in Grandforks I seen it well below -40 for weeks and its consistantly below zero in the winter there. Here atleast its usually in the 10s to 20s all winter. Oh I was born in SoCal(huntington beach) grew up there for 21 years and I tell you what I love Anchorage I miss it when I travel to visit family in cali. I will keep residence for life here!