Whoring.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lode, Mar 19, 2008.

1. lode

lode Banned

So govenor Hooker McGee got me to thinking about my position on prostituion again. Hadn't really thought about it in years. Morally I don't see any problems with it in principle.

Someone wants to pay money for sex, someone wants to get money for sex. None of my business. That's always been my position. I wouldn't want to pay for sex because I like a girl to be really into it.

But reconsidering it... I realise that there are a lot of negatives to women being forced into the circumstances through drugs and poverty, where they feel they have no other alternative. And if this is the situation a lot of times, then I see the situation as whole lot more morally dark then I had before.

Random thoughts.

2. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Which is why, I agree with legalising prostitution. If it were legalised, it could be regulated for health and safety, and make it much safer for each party involved.

3. Waking Life

Waking Life Cool looking idiot

I could care less about the legalization of them, but as long as there are rubntugs around, I'm a happy guy.

4. secret_agent_amanda

secret_agent_amanda Member

cate8 is right.

5. Van_Gogh

Van_Gogh Senior Member

If a girl wants to bring that on to herself...her life.

but to do it because you feel like you have no other way of making money, and being forced into that. That'd fuck UP a girl.

how do you expect to live a normal life after that, even if you do get out of poverty. its a sad story.

6. lode

lode Banned

I agree with that. It should be clean safe and regulated. I don't even particularly care if my governor is paying for sex in his free time as long as he's doing a good job.

My concern is if the nature of prositution itself is taking advantage of people (women who might not have other opportunities), and still be a sort of coercion.

7. Waking Life

with a happy ending.

8. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

I agree no one should be forced into that, its totally sad. I dont know, I dont have any answers for that....every situation is different...but yea...regulate. I also couldnt care less about the sexual lives of people in the public eye. However, we are the minority in that.

9. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

I want to hear praxiskepsis' opinion on this one.

PS: all for it.

10. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

zen arcade I saw you in pennys vid of aura bday! Adorable.

11. Waking Life

When the hell did praxis become a RT muse?

12. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

A lot of the problem now deals with human trafficking from Asia and other areas to massage parlors.

The women are promised opportunity, but end up with huge debts and only the opportunity to work as a prostitute to pay it off

yep, saw it on the tv

If no one is being forced, and related violence can be eradicated, then sure I'd be all for legalization

I have no moral issue related to the paying for sex part, if thats what you want to do

13. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

while legalization may not take away all the exploitation involved in prostitution - i think legalizing it would be the way to go. with regulating it, there can be prevention services for girls (or guys) that feel they have no other options - were not a 3rd world country here, there are and can be social programs implemented for the young ones who feel this is the only choice they have. a lot of these girls have addiction problems. with legalization, we can combat this in 2 ways - we can legalize drug use (it goes together with prostitution) and legalize prostitution - which we'll then be able to help them out in treatment centers, therapy, rehab and what not.

then you got police who use the prostitue and get sex from her so she won't be arrested. the corruption on this level needs to be stopped.

a recent paper on this: http://economics.uchicago.edu/pdf/Prostitution 5.pdf
    by economist Steven Levitt and sociologist Sudhir Venkatesh
    i've read bits and pieces of it so far

14. Waking Life

Fucking, don't you think that even if there were laws , that the gals that are already doing shit clean and sober would be the only ones that actually abide by the laws? The dirty, fucked up, cheap gals aren't going to follow any fucking law. There will always be law abiders and law breakers, and realistically, the law abiders would probably not be any different than they are now.

No stopping criminal elements.

15. fitzy21

this is the abstract from the paper i linked

Abstract
    Combining transaction-level data on street prostitutes with ethnographic observation and official police force data, we analyze the economics of prostitution in Chicago.
    Prostitution, because it is a market, is much more geographically concentrated than other criminal activity. Street prostitutes earn roughly $25-$30 per hour, roughly four times their hourly wage in other activities, but this higher wage represents relatively meager compensation for the significant risk they bear. Prostitution activities are organized very differently across neighborhoods. Where pimps are active, prostitutes appear to do better, with pimps both providing protection and paying efficiency wages. Condoms are used only one-fourth of the time and the price premium for unprotected sex is small. The supply of prostitutes is relatively elastic, as evidenced by the supply response to a 4th of July demand shock. Although technically illegal, punishments are minimal for prostitutes and johns. A prostitute is more likely to have sex with a police officer than to get officially arrested by one. We estimate that there are 4,400 street prostitutes active in Chicago in an average week.

16. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I agree

Also I would think a prostitute would need a drug problem to handle fucking so many strangers

17. fitzy21

its actually really difficult to tell whether or not criminal activity would be stop or at least reduced in nature, because prostitution data is not all that reliable and with that, really hard to study. there isn't many models out there that take a look at it, because the reliability of the data the researches get is not good data...and considering cops partake with the ladies, we can't really make any clear hypothesis on whether or not criminal activity will go down.

18. Van_Gogh

Van_Gogh Senior Member

atleast for the dude

unless hes the governer and gets caught.

19. Waking Life

fuck that. laws are criminal activity.

20. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

hahaha, "thank you?". I still need to see it.