Wholefood -more expensive?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Bilby, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

In my experience eating wholefood in overall terms is not expensive, especially when you factor in not paying for tobacco anymore. Where I am you can buy 2kg of generic brand butter for the same price as a packet of cigarettes to give an example. Dripping that I use for meat pan frying is cheaper than even the cheapest vegetable oil.This is usually cottonseed oil, with the last squeezing obtained with chemical solvents (these are chemically very similar to gasoline/petrol. In fact it you could probably run an internal combustion engine on it.)

Buying ready made ghee is a bit pricey but it is not that expensive to make your own.

2. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Buying local or at a food co-op is much cheaper than Wholefoods...

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

When I wrote wholefoods, I meant it as generic term not the US chain store. IMO they should not be allowed to use a generic term for a store name but since I don't live in the USA I cannot do anything about it.

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yeah, i dont reeally get the 'wholefoods' store thing either. whenever i refer to eating whole foods, i mean foods that look like they did when they were still growing, not some overpriced, overpackaged artifact food from a specialty store.

around here, shopping at the farmer's market at the end of the day can be verrrrrrrrry inexpensive, especially this time of year

love and health,
    nimh

5. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Yeah dude you can get free organic food @ the farmers market so easily if you go toward the end of the day when it's all getting thrown away...Plus it's more fresh and vital and nutritious than any organic food that's packaged in plastic and coming all the way from California.

Learn to ID wild food too. That's more nutritious than even organic food and it costs you absolutley nothing. Growing your own garden is a great way to go to.

And hey..if more people start buying organic food, it will eventually be as cheap as conventional. I've certainly bought my fair share and the only place I shop @ these days is my local co-op. My body is almost 100% organic by now haha ;P

Support organic food while you still have the option, and feel lucky to even have clean food still available. Some places in the world don't have that luxury. You are buying your well being when you buy organic food...and you are buying a healthy vital future for this planet whne you buy organic food. Really..what is more important than that? It's activism on a practical level that we could all commit to easily with a little mindfulness and planning.

Peace love and a lot of organic wheatgrass,
    Avocado