Who was it that wanted hydranea for their wedding ?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by hippietoad, May 22, 2004.

1. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Since we lost the old board I forgot who it was who were using hydranea for their wedding. My plant is doing awesome this year. Yaaaaaaay.:p

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

is yours flowering yet? Mine arent. Is it my imagination, or can you change the color of the blooms by changing the nitrogen content of the soil?

3. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

4. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Yeah mine is doing awesome. Purdy pink/purple blooms.

5. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

IT WAS ME!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehe ahhhh i came to the forum just now to seek you out hehehe. rob and i were looking at our hydrangea bushes yesterday and had minor panic attacks cuz there seems to be no flower action what so ever!!!! oy vey.... do the flowers just show up over night? it looks like only big beautiful leaves so far... *sigh* the wedding is july 24th and i'd LOVE to send you money fer shipping when the date gets closer :) i spent yesterday afternoon potting 60 various herbs in little terra cotta pots. we're gonna use potted herbs and purple flowering plants for our centerpieces. just can't deal with spending tons and tons of money on cut flowers that have to be tossed out days later. least with hydrangea and rosemary, you can dry em and keep em for everrrrrrr :) i'm so thankful my herbs seem to have survived the monsoon thunderstorm last night. our peony bushes out front collapsed to the ground. hopefully it stops raining long enough for us to tie em up to the railings....

6. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

i heard the higher the acidity of the soil, the more blue the blossoms...

7. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

This year the flowers on it are pink and I mean bright deep pink. Last year they were lavenderish blue. Hummmmmmmmm........I think we're watering it to much as the flowers are there but not big puffy bunches. Told the old man not to water for a few days and see how it goes. Hopefully they will get bigger before you wedding date.
    Don't worry about any postage as they can't cost to much to send. Not as lite as they are. Hugs.

8. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

you rock sister friend!!!! i love how this wedding has become such a communal effort from all over the country :) thank you sweetie!!!!!!!

9. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

there is a 60 year old one in the corner of my house, it is huge, and blooms purple/blue/ and sometimes pink or white flowers, right now one of the blooms is blue on one side and purple on the other, i took pics of it with my digital camera but my camera is messed up, i will post them if i ever get them off of it.

also, in the winter it will die back and leave sticks, do not cut these sticks, because my dad did that one year and it screwed it up, they look and feel dead but they arent, the leaves will come right back out of them. But its doing great now.

10. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Yeah they do come back each year. There was one at a friends house like the one you have just mentioned. It was real old and man was it huge. Just gorgous.

11. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

i am just so baffled by our plants.... shouldn't i see at least the beginnings of some sort of buds on it? rob and our upstairs neighbor and i all looked hard at it and couldn't figure out what the heyll is going on with them. might i add that none of us are exactly gardeners.... i try... lorrrrrd how i try. but i'm just learning by trial and error.... nothing seems to be growing as fast as last year *sigh*

12. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

If it hasnt bloomed at all since you got it, the plant may take a couple of years before it will bloom, kinda like it takes apple trees forever to make apples.

13. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Yea!! My first bloom!! it is a beautiful purple. I think since I just planted it last year, it has taken a little bit longer to bloom that one that is fairly old. I'm so happy.

14. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Mine are looking funky.

15. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

update.... my sister called and said that between her and all my brother in law's sisters.... she's got enough blue and purple hydrangeas fer the weddin' :) yayyyyyyy. so everyones off the hook hehehehe. hope the restof yer garden is going sweetly toad!!!
    francie pants

16. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Hey Eyes,

So glad your sister ended up with enough. Mine started to bloom these awesome pink flowers then right smack dab in the middle of the bunches, the flowers never formed. Dang the luck. Guess my green thumb turned brown !! Anyways, hope you have the most awesome wedding and life with your hubby to be. Cheers.