Who taught you to drive?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bedlam, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

Of course some people never do [​IMG]

My dad taught me when l was 12.

2. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

my father taught me. my frist day of learning i went on a highway for 3 exits...i was 16.

3. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

my dad.

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

My dad, mostly.

5. dhs

dhs Senior Member

hmmm, my mother for the most part, but I can remember the first time I ever drove on my own in a car. I was 15 and went to a party with some friends one who was 16 who had a license and drove to the party. Well he and everyone else got drunk except for me, so considering that the decision was for me to drive home and his mother's car was a standard. Well, I had been playing this video game called hard driving at the local arcade lately, so I just pretended it was the game and somehow got us home safely never stalling once.

6. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Big Sister and my pops.

My Mom couldn't stand being in the car if I was behind the wheel.

7. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

drivers ed teacher taught me to drive a car, but my dad taught me to drive a stick.

8. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

This scary man in driving school. :D He was smelly.

9. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

My dad is the one who taught me to drive. He did a great job.

My dad is the type of guy who took each of us four kids out right away once we got our learner's permits and started us driving. It was made clear that there was nothing to be apprehensive about, just pay attention and do it. In my family it was a quiet, serious rite-of-passage that was not made a big deal of, and we all went through it, and we all became really good drivers.

I think that the best drivers are the ones who like to drive, and therefore want to do it well. I have great control over a car, and I am really observant of what's going on around me while I'm driving -- but that probably has to do with the fact that my dad was teaching me to fly a plane years before he taught me to drive a car. He also used to let me play video games (gave me lots of quarters) whenever we were out somewhere and there were games to be played. In fact, he used to join me and play games too, when we went to the mall and stopped at the arcade! :) I credit him letting me play all those video games with making my hand-eye coordination what it is.

So on the day I turned 16, we went down to the DMV and I took the permit test and as soon as I passed it, Dad drove us to a local high school and had me take the wheel in the parking lot. He had me start out in 1st gear (in an automatic Trans Am) so that the car wouldn't get away from me. We worked on starts and stops and parking, and then we went into Drive, and went out on the roads! It was way cool!

When the first snow came that year, we went to a shopping center parking lot and Dad had me drive around throwing donuts in the few inches of snow. He wanted me especially to learn a "feel" for the car and what it would do in snow, since this is crucial to keeping the car under control. So there I was, nailing the accelerator and throwing the rear end of the car all over the place. He even had me do that in reverse. So the end result was that I came to LOOOOOVE driving in snow, and I still do to this day. (Of course, now I drive a Subaru, so it really holds the road well even in snow. Thank you, All Wheel Drive!)

-Jeffrey

10. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

My mom tried to teach me, but just screamed and yelled the whole time. So, then my dad taught me. He only took me out twice cause he kept falling asleep and such.

11. lynsey

lynsey Banned

my mom but her nerves couldn't handle it so than my grandpa and I was so bad I even made him nervous so he got me a private driving instructor.

12. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

note to self: never be in a car with lyns being behind the wheel :D

13. lynsey

lynsey Banned

oh yeah you really don't want to. I amnot a good driver. I have wrecked every car I or my mom has ever had except her car now. I wrecked my brand new custom detailed car one week after I got it and I was on vacay that week so it was only like the second time I ever drove it. It hasn't ran the same since and they forgot to put the details back on one side and I didn't notice untill a year later and now I am stuck with these insane payments):

14. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

my brother's ex girlfriend took me to the cemetary where her mother was buried and taught me there. she figured i couldn't hurt anyone.

15. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i learned somewhat in a cemetary too.

16. hip_peace

hip_peace Senior Member

my friends

17. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

My ex-boyfriend.. first time driving... I popped his tire :(

18. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I took Driver's Ed. But, an old boyfriend taught me to drive a stick. My first car was a five-speed. :D

19. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

my parents, my ex boyfriend, my current boyfriend...

I still suck. I'll admit it.

20. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Folks being taught/learning to drive?

Coulda fooled me...*L*