who here juice fasts? tips? recommendations?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by JerryWobbles, Jul 27, 2013.

1. JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles Member

any tips for juice fasting? i think a part of this should go under recipes section too but....any good combos? what do ya'll think about fruit and veggie combining with your juices? who has done a juice fast? how long? :)
    all things juicing :) id love to hear about them :)

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Nah, this is great in open forum. Good choice.

I juice occasionally, read as months as often as I should, and blend the juice with kale and other leafy greens. My juicer, an Omega 1000, doesn't do leaves well.

So a base is a cucumber, some celery, an apple or citrus. I'll toss in ginger if I have it.
    Add greens in blender.
    The base actually makes nice Popsicles.

My version of fast is usually 3-7 days of juice and broth, with a couple days of really light eating leading in and out of it.
    And one 10 day Master Cleanse back in... 95?

3. JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles Member

wow!!!!! popsicle green juices!!!! i dig it!!!

4. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

I'm curious ... do you continue to work out while fasting?

I've tried fasting a few times but I get very weak and just have to eat something. Maybe I'm not going about it the right way.

5. JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles Member

I keep active.. Lemme ask this granny... How long
    Did you try juice fast for? First few days
    Pretty much suck lol because of detox and yea
    You will feel weak!!! I'm on day 2 right now
    ... Think of it as a recharge or fighting an addiction

6. drumminmama

I lay off during rigorous fasts, and I'd call any first fast rigorous.

But a longer term juice and smoothie fast? Yeah, probably wouldn't train for Ironman, but what I was used to doing? Sure. Maybe scaled back a notch...more yoga, less running.

7. JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles Member

id definitely work out on a juice fast......#1 itll keep your mind off food, just intake a lot more water.... and #2 youre probably trying to get in shape or lose weight...and honestly....id say do more running or bike riding :)

8. drumminmama

To clarify, I'm assuming a fast is a lot less calories, and some detox, both of which can cause tired feelings, especially in women over 35.

Now, on a long term ( think the Joe Cross level stuff of 30,60,90 days) start at just under your normal and ramp up.

9. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Hey Jerry, You can always do a google search for juice-fast/ raw food juice recipes.

Usually I like adding cucumbers, celery, kiwi & apples into my juice. I saw a recipe somewhere using beets but i have not tried it yet.

10. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

11. cozmo_g

cozmo_g Is Out Of This World

I've done a couple of juice fasts, and I highly recommend them if one is otherwise healthy. There's tons of great juice recipes out there, but one of my favorite sites is thejuicenut.com.

The experience is a little unsettling the first time, and I would recommend practicing meditation to keep the hunger pangs from reaching unbearable levels. My experience was that I entered a really peaceful state of mental calmness and clarity and physical relaxation after about 48 hours (your results may vary). Depending on your diet, you may experience some side effects or unusual symptoms as your body detoxes.

If it's your first time, you should probably restrict it to 72 hours at the most.

Good luck!

12. drumminmama

Cosmo, do you do a certain number per year?
    What spurs you to one?

13. cozmo_g

cozmo_g Is Out Of This World

I've been trying to keep a schedule of doing them once a season for the past two years or so.

14. M.Delaney

M.Delaney Guest

I recently bought a Breville Juice Fountain (because it was on sale, not because I have actually watched the documentary that made it famous). While I normally eat both fruits and vegetables without a second thought, I've been having some dental work done so it hurts to eat them so decided to try a juicer. Here's the problem though: I have never liked vegetable juice and most of the advice I found (when I was looking for recipes, not advice!) was that it's not good to juice much fruit, juices should be mostly vegetable-based. So it's definitely a challenge for me as I'd be perfectly happy to drink fruit juice but am struggling to drink veggie juice. :)

I haven't done a juice fast--I'm still looking for any vegetable recipes I can tolerate enough to get through a day. The main things I've learned so far are: while I like celery in the juice, it can be overdone; cucumbers seem to go with all juices. Ginger really helps the flavor (in my opinion, since I don't like vegetable juice).

My favorite combo so far has been a couple carrots, three stalks of celery, three Persian cucumbers, a bit of ginger, and a small-medium beet thrown in for good measure. I was thinking an apple would be nice instead of a beet but I don't have any apples and haven't tried that yet.

15. drumminmama

Delaney, to max the veggies but get some moderation in taste, juice some pineapple ( or make your juice into a smoothie/blended drink with a few chunks of pineapple).

16. M.Delaney

M.Delaney Guest

Thanks for the tip! I will try that.

17. stenhjarta

stenhjarta Guest

I love juicing :)
    My favorite fruit juice is watermelon and grapefruit, Very simple!
    I also throw in a bunch of apples and watermelon into my veggie juice, makes it taste better, At least for me I think it does

18. Deboraher

Deboraher Guest

Hello to all forum people. Quite an interesting discussion here of the current problem. It should be noted that recently, I myself began to apply the fresh juice diet. Result I was really surprised. In just a couple weeks, I lost 10 pounds. It's simply an incredible result for me. I had never sought this short period. I want to share with everyone one of my favorite the best juice for weight loss Health Juice Recipe: 1 small to medium beetroot. Beetroot greens can be quite potent. Should you choose choose to use them, make an effort to get youthful greens and use only 2 or 3 3 leaves at the same time. 1 red tomato 4 carrots, discard greens as they are toxic 2 firm yellow pears 2 red apples 3 thick slices pineapple (wash before cutting) 4 brussel sprouts 4 white or purple cauliflower florets 2 arugula (rocket) leaves 6 Broccoli florets Technique of preparing: Wash and prepare Vegetables and Fruits: Trim beetroot ends, peel thinly, and slice into chunks. Quarter tomato. Trim carrot ends and discard greens. Quarter the pears and apples (don't peel, but discard all seeds). Peel pineapple slices, discarding rind. Reduce slices into strips. Bunch up arugula (rocket) prior to juicing. Juicing: Add all of the vegetables and fruit to your juicer or perhaps juice extractor and juice. To discover the best results, apple, cauliflower with carrots, broccoli and add arugula. I hope you like my favorite recipe!