who else thinks that...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Duck, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

JFK was the most overrated leader of a country ever?

what is your opinion on him?
    who do you think is the most overrated leader?

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

if youre going to dig up something old, why not be it a dead president.. :p
    I dont care for jfk conspiracy stuff..

Obama.... easy answer..

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Not sure I could say for sure that he was the most overrated though a case can easily be made that but for the assassination history may not have been so kind to JFK... who knows what dirt would have been dug up on him in '64 and how that might have affected the direction of American politics. Hell, we may never have had Nixon to kick around any more after all.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

I think when I was growing up, Ron Raygun was .. now when i look back it feels like a comic book or something.

History you have lived through, is weirder than history you have not..

6. antithesis

antithesis Hello

This is embarassing, but I don't really know that much about him, so I have no idea. I have a hard time being interested in more modern history. I only like ancient stuff.

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

True.

Reagan was arguably beginning to slip into the Alzheimer kingdom when he still had access to Missile launch codes but he had enough faculties to deliver speeches... he could orate if nothing else. I think the most overrated leader is yet to come. The worst leader will be whatever is serving when the Chinese decide to call our debt.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

Reagan did alot of things. The whole Wall deal .. hehe. even though he lost his marbles......

9. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

JFK?
    Nah.
    One of the forefathers probably.

10. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Reagan wasn't that bad, was he? Depends on how one looks at him.

[​IMG]

11. neodude1212

Reagan destroyed the country.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

my grandma hated reagan, but she did like kennedy..

13. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

JFK, I think he stood for change that was needed. I am not sure if it could have been maintained if he had of lived and that is something that will never be known. To be honest not many leaders can do that even if they survive their terms.

Worst, probably Reagan.

14. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Lincoln destroyed the country. Fact.

edit- That sounds racist, it has nothing to do with the freeing of slaves, but the fact that by doing so, he put the entirety of the American people into slavery. People used to be people before he decided to declare martial law and force the birth certificate and social security system on American citizens.

15. azucena

azucena vagina farts

i'd do him

16. neodude1212

lol what?

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

I be watching Bush clips and I still believe what he says.. Im trying to undo the brainwashing with massive amounts of cannabis..

18. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Just look it up, it would take days to even be able to explain it myself.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

I am too..[​IMG]

20. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Let's see... JFK... silver spoon son of Joseph Kennedy who rode FDR's coattails to political prominence but whose meteoric political rise was cut short when as Ambassador to Great Britain, his Nazi appeasement stance fell into great disfavor as Germany began plundering western Europe. The disgraced would-be elder statesman was relegated to living out his own presidential ambitions through his sons. His eldest son was killed in action during WWII so he lived vicariously through the political ascension of JFK- first as a Massachusetts representative elected in '46 then senator in '52. Ran for prez in '60 and beat then VP Nixon... Daddy Joseph was more than a spectator, who likely used mob contacts to turn over key electoral wards in Illinois and elsewhere.

He furthered an adversarial relationship with Cuba by covertly giving military support to a planned overthrow of Fidel Castro- likely setting the stage for the Cuban missile crisis. While it is argued that he planned to end our involvement in Vietnam during a second term, he actually supported the operation started by Eisenhower on the premise that if Vietnam became communist then it would lead to the world falling under communist rule... a domino theory.

Meanwhile, his brother, whom he made attorney general, set his sights on organized crime and corruption in the teamsters... and clashed with J Edgar Hoover on how to deal with the problem.

He averted another military operation in Cuba and a nuclear war with the USSR when he negotiated a peaceful end to a standoff which began when intelligence discovered Soviet missiles being installed in Cuba. Being a proponent of civil rights put him at odds with the south so ahead of the upcoming push for re-election in '64 he took a trip to his VP's home state of Texas in November to help assure that the democrats would take the white house. Frankly, he needed to drive through Dallas like he needed a hole in the head- he got both and LBJ got to run in '64.

Kennedy had wanted to establish Medicare- and this new entitlement may not have ever been voted in but not for his ascendancy to fallen leader... LBJ was able to get that passed in '65. Unfortunately LBJ did not share JFK's presumed desire to pull out of Vietnam so between that increasingly bloody and unpopular war and the fact that federal civil rights legislation flew in the face of the Jim Crow social order of the deep south and violated what some saw as states rights to run things as they see fit, the stage was set for what is seen as the unrest of the 60's.

But for an assassin's bullet, his presidency would likely have gone down as unremarkable- it's interesting to imagine how the decades would have unfolded had he not been shot... and how the products of that parallel history would have remembered him.