who doesn't like gold or silver wedding bands?

Discussion in 'For Sale or Trade' started by alabamagetaway26, Jan 8, 2006.

1. alabamagetaway26

alabamagetaway26 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was just wondering. I just made a ring for my wife a few minutes ago out of an old white oak tree that fell on my house 4 days after I bought it. At first I was bummed about my house but now I'm just glad it gave me some wood to work with, without having to cut anything down for crafts. I don't think I could do that, but since it is already here..... Just wondering if anyone would be interested in having some rings for you and your mate that show off your true "nature", lol! I can't really make designs on them yet, but they are beautiful as they are, my wife and I think. I love to trade and not just sell my stuff, so if anyone is interested or think this is a cool idea, let me know!

PS: I also make necklace pendants, and coasters and incense holders, all by hand for the enjoyment of people that love nature and wood, I'll try posting some pics up in my gallery.

2. alabamagetaway26

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hope this turns out alright!

3. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Oh, I love that ring! If you learned how to do little designs in there, I'm sure you could make a market for yourself with them. I would love that. No risk of your finger turning green, low-cost, handmade. I guess that tree was a bit of a blessing in disguise? But, I am curious, how did your house fair?

4. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Member

i think they're great. i think i want one....yup yup i do. i'll be PMin you soon! sorry about your house, but it all works out in the end!

6. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Cool work. How big is it? The trefoil detail looks realy nice. Did you carve or whittle? What kind of finish is that?

(I know 1/2 zillion woodworking questions.)

7. alabamagetaway26

[​IMG]

The celtic cross type thing is a little large for a necklace, maybe, but I'd sport it if it wasnt a gift for a freind! And her new ring is a size 6 1/2. She loves it as much as I do! There's nothing better than making something that symbolizes your love for someone and have it turn out nice. I am about to work with a much larger piece for a set of coasters. They will be in the form of a recessed design, most likely "steal your face" designs and then have the depression fille in with clear epoxy, dries to a smooth, hard, waterproof finish, and it's clear as glass! The finish on these peices is nothing more than some polyurethane just to bring the colors out and protect the wood. But I think I'm going to try a couple of rings with just light staining so it'll have a smooth satin finish. I never thought I'd be doing this, but it's great to make people happy and meet new folks! Thanks for checking in!

8. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Nice stuff.

9. alabamagetaway26

My house had some roof damage, of course, but I'm so glad we had insurance! We had to get a whole new roof put on and we also found out that the previous owners had stripped the chimney's guts out so it was useless. So we just had the roofers knock the chimney down to where the top is under the roof and they redecked it up there and put down new shingle over where it used to come through the roof. Cost like 500 bucks for the deductible. But the insurance company had pity on us and gave it back to us! How cool is that!

10. alabamagetaway26

I cheated and made a printout of a stealy and made it into a stencil. This is the first step, I'll post more once I get some more done this evening! Oh yeah, it's one of the coasters.

11. alabamagetaway26

[​IMG]
    I cheated and made a printout of a stealy and made it into a stencil. This is the first step, I'll post more once I get some more done this evening! Oh yeah, it's one of the coasters.

12. ydnim

ydnim hiya

Did you draw that skullish looking design on the coaster? If not that is just really beautiful. I hope someone else sees what I am talking about!

I would be interested in your work once you get it going. You should set up an Esty or something.

13. alabamagetaway26

it is turning out nicely! Thanks for all the kind words everyone, this is so cool considering that my first piece was just made yesterday! [​IMG]

14. paix

paix Senior Member

wow, amazing! You had carved wood before, right?

so, what are you interested in trading for? Cause I'm for sure interested in your work!

15. alabamagetaway26

nope, never really carved anything before. but I got on this site and my creative juices started flowing and I had the big idea of carving wood! I had just had to purchase a bunch of tools a few months ago to reinstall a new floor and complete kitchen in my house, and well, I don't need them to work on it anymore now that I'm about done. You must be a head too. It's great to make a tribute to a band that means so much to me, and represents a lifestyle I left behind and am trying to rekindle!

16. knitin.chick

knitin.chick Members

your work is great! i really like the wooden rings! make sure to check your inbox *winks* :D

17. gruvenmama420

gruvenmama420 *sweet sugga mama*

i'd love to do a trade with you! do you make bead also?

18. Acorn

Acorn Member

that is AWSOME