Who do you feel strongly about for President?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dhs, Sep 24, 2004.

1. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I have a bit of a hang up here. In 2000 I was pretty gung ho about Nader, I was very active in his campaign. I knew he wasn't going to win, I felt that his position was well aligned with my own interests, but my primary concern was offering support such that the long standing two party system might be a thing of the past the next time a primary election came around in 2004.

So, now 2004 is here and I'm torn up a bit. I want change from the current situation, but I also desire the entire system to change - better candidates from all aspects.

If you aren't going to vote for Bush or Kerry, I'm interested in hearing who you do plan on voting for and why.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I am voting for Michael Badnarik in this upcoming election, who is the Libertarian Party's presidential nominee. The reason I am voting for Badnarik is because I can identify with libertarian politics, unlike the politics of the two main parties. Nader is great, but my political philosophy is more in line with the libertarian mindset than Nader's, who, like Badnarik, does not stand a chance of winning anyway.

Unlike most people, I do not believe in a "lesser of two evils." After all, they're both still evil. When it comes to voting, I believe in voting for who you feel strongly about, versus voting for someone because they are slightly better than the other guy. That is just not very critical thinking, I am sorry. Even in desperate times like these.

Because, let's face it, Iraq is probably the most important issue facing this country. Is there any REAL difference between candidates on this issue? No, there is not. You can't help but ask yourself what is to come of all of this.

We are going to continue to see many of the same problems, regardless if Bush or Kerry is elected. This is not enough for me, and I am certainly not going to support somebody who is a puppet for the same corporate system as the other guy, which is really all they are.

For me, it comes to what I believe in. I am not swayed by minute differences from two self-serving elitists.

3. dhs

dhs Senior Member

Do you have any coruption concerns with the Libertarian party Matt? Is it the lesser of the lesser of two evils or do you feel it to be pure?

4. Pressed_Rat

Of course, I have corruption concerns about ANYBODY who wants to run for presidency -- or any seat of high power -- regardless of what their political orientation is.

Please, I am not that one-track minded.

But I do know that third-parties aren't half as corrupt as the Dems and Reps, nor do they have the ability to be (nor do they have the ability to be elected).

It's kind of ironic that it appears to be a reality that the more corrupt a political party is, the more electable they are.

5. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

Any party that gets their candidate elected as president and holds seats in Congress is going to be corrup, whether it's dems, reps, whigs, libertarians or greens. Power corrupts, and if you're surrounded by power 24/7 like the major parties are, corruption is inevitable.

6. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I know, Matt, your affinity towards 8-tracks doesn't go unnoticed.

7. dhs

dhs Senior Member

on a more serious note - for what reason do you feel they lack the ability to be corrupt? If they had the ability to be elected (this is financially driven obviously), do you feel that they would become more corrupt? Do you feel that for a third party to become elected the only choice would be to whore themselves out? Kinda like a great band selling out to the music industry?

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

The corruption comes with the power (which most...erm, all third parties don't have), which doesn't come until the party actually gets elected.

9. Pressed_Rat

Yeah, but even if a third-party candidate is elected on a national level (which will not happen anytime soon, I am sure), they still wouldn't be as intertwined with globalists and big-business as the Dems and the Reps. Not for awhile, anyway. Of course such a drastic change would probably result in a total economic collapse of this country, which might be the best thing that could happen. (I am being sarcastic.)

Let's face it, with power comes corruption. Period. But still....

10. dhs

dhs Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of trust to me Matt - do you HONESTLY, know this to be true? Sorry playing the advocate part here, but couldn't the third party's Koolaide be very similar to same Koolaide that the Dems and Reps are feeding the majority - the uneducated dumbed down souls that constitute the majority of society?

11. Pressed_Rat

Hahah....

Stop trying to back me into a corner. Of course anyone that is in power has the ability to be corrupt.

BUT AMERICANS DESERVE MORE THAN JUST TWO CHOICES!

I don't care what you say, it's going to be a long time before a third-party becomes as corrupt as the two corporate-owned, corporate-motivated parties which OWN THIS COUNTRY.

But vote Kerry. Vote for globalization. Vote for one-world governement. It's going to happen anyway. There's certainly nothing I can do about it, except open people's minds the best that I can.

12. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

do you think that anyone could stop the behind the scene workings of the modern world?

I'm pessimistic...I don't think the true powers that be would allow for a sweeping overhaul.

13. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I couldn't agree more, that's why I'm voting for you as a write in candidate - just promise me you'll put ice in my Koolaide. If you're gonna serve it up, please serve it up to me cold and honest :p

14. Trotsky311

Trotsky311 Supporters HipForums Supporter

...and now, Mr. Douglas Adams?

"....
    The major problem - one of the major problems, for there are several - one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job......"

15. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

So we should all just sit back and be content with incompetent fucktards as presidents, just because "anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job......"?

16. I'm NOT gun hoe but have always been a fan of Liberal principles, but these two candidates....ugh

Trump = dirty money and more dirty stuff...more than others....and I'm not a fan to SUPPORT the rich.

I don't like the way Covid was handled, so I'm stuck....

17. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Us has alot of cased but I watch the people in my town all crowded in stupid restaurants what could we really do about it ?

Australia is nuts right now.

Australia's COVID-19 epicenter extends hard lockdown till late September

Melbourne’s stage 4 restrictions, which had been due to end on Sept. 13, shut most of the economy, limited people’s movements to a tight zone around their homes for one hour a day and imposed a night time curfew.

From Sept. 14, the rules won’t be quite as tough, as the curfew will begin an hour later at 9 p.m, and people can go outdoors for two hours instead of one, while those living alone will be allowed to have a visitor.