Who Are You?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by razy, May 28, 2007.

1. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

No - Happyhippy... But i'm sure you're loveable too.

2. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

you should start your own Karma thread so people can get to know you. then everyone will ask you silly questions too. :)
    Welcome to the forum.

3. razy

razy Fazed and Contused

[​IMG] thanks a lot Aquarian, I'm sure you're a very special person :)

4. razy

razy Fazed and Contused

In a shameless attempt to resurrect my Karma thread ;), I thought I'd add in a few philosophical points that interest me.

Free Will is something I've often wondered about, do we have it or not?

I'm taken with another quote from Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground where he is arguing against the scientists who think in time be able to account for and predict all human behaviour down to the last twitch:

"Reason is a fine thing, there's no question about it, but reason is only reason and only satisfies man's rational faculties, whereas desire is a manifestation of the whole of life, that is of the whole of human life, along with reason and all our head-scratching. And even if in this manifestation our life frequently turns out to be rubbishy, it's nevertheless life and not just the extraction of a square root. ...man has been continually proving to himself the he's a man and not an organ-stop."

Psychology is based on the principle that behaviour is predictable, which is obviously true to an extent, but whether we can be reduced to the level of Dostoevsky's organ-stop remains to be seen. I.e. are we human beings with free will and perhaps spirituality or just human machines that are slaves to the laws of cause and effect?

I personally think we are more than the sum of our parts, and I do have spiritual leanings, but I'm still working out what I think about this.

5. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

Have you ever balenced a spoon on your nose?
    Which season is your favourite?
    Has Lithium asked you a noel edmonds Q. yet?
    Whats your favourite citrus fruit including melons?

[sorry if these have already been asked]

6. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

Have you got any further with your land management qualification?? Cos I'm looking into that line of work.

How did you think up your user name?

7. razy

razy Fazed and Contused

Yes, as a kid, I also put a bread knife in a toaster when the power was on. ZING!
    Winter, I like walking in the countryside on crisp sunny days
    No, still waiting
    Clementines, but I prefer apples and bananas

8. razy

razy Fazed and Contused

Hi nynysuts, thanks I completed the course in December and am now doing 2 days voluntary conservation work a week.

I've been checking environmentjob.co.uk for opportunities - you might want to look at it to get a feel for what's available in the industry.

Also East Sussex County Council run a trainee ranger scheme which I might try to get on in September.

I chose this username because I wanted something that sounded a bit playful and cheeky ;)

Unfortunately I have realised a flaw in it - you just have to add a c to become (c)razy, and as I have schizo-affective disorder I hope that doesn't come true :eek:

9. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

Whats a schrizo-affective disorder?

10. razy

razy Fazed and Contused

11. The manticore

The manticore Member

do iu support a football club

12. razy

razy Fazed and Contused

well "in theory" I support Chelsea because my sister told me to (!). I have actually been to a match there, against Birmingham and it was 0-0, the one and only football match I've been to in my life. But footie isn't really in my blood, I'm more of a cricket fan.

13. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

Why'd you change your name?

14. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

thanks for asking Nyika, I just felt like a change, and wanted to identify myself with a name that meant more to me and where I'm coming from.