Which was/is the BEST era for gaming?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dude111, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

In my opinion 8-bit all the way,Not even a slightest doubt about it!!

2. aceouses

aceouses Banned

I said late 90's just because you included computer gaming in it. I do like future gaming, like the PS3, but I get so tired of TV console gaming so easily, and definitely prefer and better enjoy computer gaming that involves MMO's

3. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

2013 - play station 4 (orbis) and the Xbox 720 (Durango) :p

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

90's/PC.

You DO understand that my 2007 computer has been better than the PS3 since launch, right?

And that you can play doom 1/2 on higher def than "high def" tv's?

Just saying... next gen consoles are not high tech gaming, they're high tech consoles.... and consoles are, especially nowadays, crap designed at being overpriced but still cheap enough to be very accessable, while keeping people convinced that they're cutting-edge. They can be good, when they don't pretend to be something they're not: the wii is awesome. It's a budget system that can do general media things, play fun games, and has a fun and easy user interface and pointing device.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

eh, i feel like i answered this in your other thread. they're different enough that it's hard to directly compare, so what is best pretty much depends on what you're looking for. they all have their merits.

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

This is true, too. It's nice to sit down and get involved in a computer game, or it's nice to hang out and play super mario with friends/drugs. But you can't switch the game and preserve the experience. It's not "better", it's "suitable".

7. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

I agree ROoR.
    Computers, are the best gaming system. You can even get the ps3 controller to work with any computer as well as download for free any game you can imagine

8. Zyprexico

Zyprexico Guest

I'd say, late 90's. They brought us DooM, Rise of the Triad, ...

9. hotasphaltblisteredsoles

hotasphaltblisteredsoles  

My bias is for older retro style games, so late 1970's all the way to the video game crash of 1983, and then again from 1987 to around 1992 when the fighting game trend started.

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Ummm....this one is the best. If i want to play atari i can. If i want nes i can play that if i want to play xbone i can play that. And i can play any computer game on my average at best system.

11. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

i tried thinking of one that's better than others but it's like comparing apples and oranges... whether it was 1987 and I was playing Super Mario or today playing Titanfall... I'm amazed where gaming has taken us... Though the era of micro transactions is a scary one... games are already expensive as is.

12. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

1993, 1994, 1995,1996, 1997, 1998

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I like my game & it's from 2014 (ps3). Also, n64 era gaming was leaps and bounds above the original 8-bit systems I knew when I was a lad...

[​IMG]

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Best age for gaming is as a kid or teen, so that might influence people's stated preference. I would also go with the 90s then.
    But if I would go by games and possibilities I go with the present day.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

now, obviously. i can still play any old game i want, plus there's new games.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

early internet, where you could have completely open free form role play, without it being invariably inevitable, that trolls would come along and screw them up.
    i'm talking, you know, when it was still a nerd ghetto, that was completely under anyone else's radar.

Asmodean likes this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I dunno. Each era had its titles that I don't even think if they could replicate to today's performance would even be the same.

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's the most fun enjoying classics (that are now aged, often terribly) at the time they were new or the latest standard.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

zork! text based in general before we had the graphix for anything else, and of course table top rule book and geometric dice rp games. which are of course still alive and well. (people still want to play nothing but simi-lawless raiding parties in most of them though, which is, if i could ever find anyone who wanted to do something else. (iron claw or gene storm or some combination?))

the great thing about games is that they have options like pause and quite.
    it occurs to me people who vote for narcissist regimes, don't seem to realize real life doesn't.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  20. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

I came here to post the exact same thing. Not only do we have tons of emulators for older games, in many cases you can still find working original equipment. And then of course there is all of the new stuff.