Which version of On The Road should I read?

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by cc_brewster, Sep 21, 2008.

1. cc_brewster

cc_brewster Guest

I've never read On the Road, and just when I was finally getting to it, the "original scroll" version was published. From descriptions, it sounds like the scroll might be better than the possibly overworked 1958 version. I'd like the reaction of someone who loves Kerouac. Which one should I read (first)? (Not ruling out later reading the other one.)

2. veiled1

veiled1 Member

The original is alwaya better,but in this case I bougght an audio cd set of Matt Dillion reading it and it is the best ever!!! A girl couldnt ask for much more than a good looking guy reading a good book!! I also have read the Subterrainians and The Dharma Bums. Loved Dharma Bums didnt like the other so well....I love to hear Jack himself read his stuff though,you really get a feel for what hes trying to say when you hear his voice.

3. Arnar

Arnar Member

i read on the road ( the orininal verison) for the first time a year ago, and i just reread it, and now im currently readin the oriningal scroll, hoenstly, both are really really really good.
    there just a little different, mainly the names and few random happenings here and there...

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I say hit the library and check out whichever one they have.
    I have owned a lot of copies (they tend to go on the road, heh.). My current copy is a trade paperback size, and while great for reading at home, it is a bit large for transit reading (on trains, at bus stops, etc.)
    I plan on checking out the Original scroll version, since i'm trying to be good about book clutter.

5. h3athrow

h3athrow Member

I wouldn't call the original edited version "overworked." He was practically automatic writing while hopped up, after all. I've read a late-'60s paperback printing several times, and it's wonderful. The scroll was published for an anniversary or something and will be important for people who've already read the book or for completists more than for first timers, is my take.