Which Do You Value More ~ Intelligence or Creativity? Why?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 23, 2005.

1. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

Last year I asked this question as a survey project in my pyschology class. I surveyed about 200 people and my results were pretty interesting. I don't want to post them from memory because i think i'd mess up the results and misinform everyone, but if i do come across my old psychology folder i'll let you all know.

My Question in more detail:
    ~If you had to pick one or the other, hands down, which one do you think is more important and why? (Please don't say things like 'you can't have one without the other' or 'they're both equally important', although both are very valid points, because I'm trying to see what people think is more important than the other...)

My Answer:
    ~I believe that, overall, creativity is a more important characteristic because without creativity nothing new would ever be constructed/composed. What good is intelligence if nothing new (is created) comes out of that intelligence? I suppose i'm all for innovation though; i do live up to that Aquarian personality trait... Considering that this is a site for 'hippies' i am going to guess that most of you will say creativity but i do get some arguments for intelligence...

2. Ellied

Ellied Senior Member

i think i would rather have intelligence.....it would improve your life alot more than creativity in the long run...id rather be intelligent, because who wants to be stupid? and creativity may be a good outlet or way of life or what ever but you cant do anything without a bit of intelligence!

3. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I'd rather have creativity... only being intelligent, and not being able to do fun things, would suck ass.

4. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

I don't like this question.

5. TattoedAquarian

~Thanks for your replies!

~Ellied - Good points. A few people actually gave similar reasons when i took my actaul survery. Thankyou for arguing for intelligence - i was afraid few would on this 'hippy' site...

~Soulrebel51 - (I love you screenname; I also strongly agree with the theory that rebellion and freedom and other such states are things that can really only be attained emotionally/intellectually. You?) On your reply - my thoughts exactly.

~lover/young peace - Sorry... If you want you can tweak it and then answer it or forget about it completely i suppose...

6. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

Ahaha... honey, don't take me seriously. :D You seem like a strong, sweet person. You'd probably be best to ignore me. :D

7. stranger

stranger Member

the soul is like pure creativity i think... so doesnt everything including intelligence essentially fall under this? who created the concept of intelligence? is everyones concept the same? o_O

8. LadyOfTheFlowers

LadyOfTheFlowers Member

Well,crativity,def. because i am crative person : ) ,and...i thik if someone is intelligent,he can not do anything without cretivity,and....well,that's it...

9. novarys

novarys Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

hmm, well if you had creativity(as i think we all do in some way)others would view you as 'intellgent' in that category.I think I would want creativity over all. Why?
    well with creativity comes using your mind probably just as much as you would if you were to use it thinking about how to solve a math equation. You're just using a different side of your mind. Tho with creativity, you have more fun and you probably seem more relaxed and laid back. You get to use your imagination alot more as well.

10. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

“Imagination is more important than knowledge.” Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I value creativity more, and also want to say that I didn't take the question to mean that by choosing one, you had to totally dismiss the other. I value intelligence, but just not as much.

11. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

I would choose intelligence. Ultimately, you need intelligence for survival. Who says an intelligent person can't have fun, anyway?

12. TattoedAquarian

~ALL - Please Read The Below Paragraph... (Clarity)
    Novarys asked me why i had asked the question...
    ~novarys - Yeah, i think that i get what your saying. 'Why?' you ask. - Just wondering i suppose... It started as a project in my psychology class when we were assigned to do a survey to find out something about human nature. Everyone in my class pretty much did things along the lines of surveying people about their sex lives, drug use, etc. but i was much more interested about finding out something about how people think and since the question of intelligence vs. creativity is usually one of my 'getting to know you' questions, i thought it would be fun/interesting for me to do my project on it, and since i really enjoyed hearing what the people surveyed had to say, (I went to places like my local B+N, mall, and library, and stood by the coffee stand/food court/seating areas with a sign that said "Please tell me your thoughts on Intelligence and Creativity", then when someone would come up to me with some interest, i'd sit with them and listen to what they, and whoever they were with, had to say... - It was a really great experience...) So i thought it would be pretty cool to do the same thing here; to learn about what everyone thinks and to also get to know them a little better...

13. redresonant

redresonant Member

i am pretty sure they go hand in hand but i would have to say intelligence if i had to choose

14. gdhmomchild

gdhmomchild Duct tape abuser

~* Damn, this actually ended up being a very tough question w/o more particulars, lol.. do you mean higher than a normal intelligence? It would all depend on what you mean by intelligent because I sure couldn't pick creativity if I were at the level of an idiot savant. And really, higher intelligence would find an outlet of some kind. I cannot picture intelligence without an outlet. Creation of theories is not much more than an educated guess,lolol...and here I spin to and fro on such a question as this.*~

15. TattoedAquarian

~redresonant - Tough question; thanks for answering...

~gdhmomchild - When i wrote the original question, i left it broad because when i did my actual survey i was told by my psych teacher that it's better to leave it broad because i don't want to influence people's answers. I didn't agree with that but after much trial and error going back and forth between giving people more exact definitions/subquestions i really began to see that i was influences people's answers. People aren't really seeming to get that on here, so i apologize for not being more clear... Perhaps if you read Post 12 it will help you a little more but i really don't want to say more than that yah know... Thanks for your comments though! Peace and Sunshine...

16. gdhmomchild

~* I just really enjoyed the whole thought process it put me through. It seemed a relatively easy thing to answer at first, lol, but the more I thought about it, the harder it got.*~

17. Crazy Bob

Crazy Bob Member

Well, it all depends.... do I lose anything?

18. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

i would rather be surrounded by a lot of imaginative, creative people with low IQ's, than a bunch of boring, unoriginal genii.Salvador Dali, Picasso, EE Cummings, Bucky Fuller, etc.
    Or, Carl Sagan, Werner von Braun, and some 200 IQ Calculus whiz?

19. gdhmomchild

LOL, won't disagree...i just wouldnt wanna pick creativity if it made me an idiot savant, of "normal" intelligence i'd definitely pick creativity over genius

20. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

isn't it the same?