Which colleges are best out of...

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by KParker730, Apr 3, 2007.

1. KParker730

KParker730 Member

Alright well i am going to be a senior in high school next year, and i am trying to narrow down my college search to about 5 or less that i am seriously interested in, but unfortunately the ones i am thinking about aren't hugely popular around here and i don't know many people to talk to in person about them. I want a school with a varsity skiing team which really shortens the list, and i would also like to major in environmental sciences or studies. anyone's insight or thoughts are greatly appreciated! thanks.

all right heres my general list-

Montana State (bozeman)
    Whitman College
    St. Lawrence
    University of Vermont
    University of New Hampshire
    Colby College
    Bowdoin College
    University of Utah

2. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

3. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

Bowdoin and Colby are excellent colleges and are heads and shoulders above any of the others on your list.

4. KParker730

KParker730 Member

Haha those two are definitely in my "hopefully will be admitted into" category. you have to be pretty smart, and they are pretty exclusive.

5. SilverClover14

But they're pretty awesome. I would have gone to one were they not so "remote"ish. If you're not going to have a car, they're kind of annoying to get to airports and such.

6. KParker730

KParker730 Member

yeah but i like the remoteness, i dont need to be near the city really

7. SilverClover14

I like remoteness too but I needed ease of getting to an airport more. :(

8. KParker730

KParker730 Member

has anyone here gone to bowdoin? i might make another topic askin about it specifically

9. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I heard that UNH is amazing.

10. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

My freshman yr roomie was accepted to Colby. She said when she went and visited the school that's all it took for her to know that wasn't the school for her. She said the people and the school were really cold and this is coming from a girl who doesn't usually talk any bad about much.

I don't think it should matter which is the best more so which is best suited for you. I've atteneded a large University in a remote area and a small private lib. art school in the big city. They are two entirely different worlds of schools. If you prefer the large school with lots of activity, I would lean more towards the Universities. And vise versa with the small private schools.

Other things I would consider when looking into a school is the gen. ed curriculum. Some are CRAZY. Also, do you know what major you are most interested in? Different schools have different programs, some in which are better then others.

Also, I wouldn't attend a University out of state because of the outrageous tutiton costs. Private schools may cost more, but they usually have more funding available. It actually cost me less to go to a $32,000 of year school then it did for a $18,000 a year University. Of course, if money isn't a issue for you then this doesn't hold much relevence.

Also, I would defintely plan trips to each of the schools for a tour. Most of the time the tours themselves are boring, but it gives you a feel of the school.

Good luck

11. SilverClover14

UNH is the one college where I would not get out of the car for. We drove up there during my trip to New England for colleges and ALL I saw was parking lots. I got such bad vibes that I told my mom to turn around.

But then again, I have very low opinions of most large state schools because people go there to party more than to get an education.

12. KParker730

KParker730 Member

Yeah my mom is a single mom with not much support from my father and she makes less than 25000 a year and i have a sister in college so i hope that the financial aid will cover most of my costs. the major i am most interested in is environmental science or environmental studies. any opinions on the programs at these schools? i know all of them offer the majors.