Wheres The Homeless?

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by buddyjohn, Jan 24, 2017.

1. buddyjohn

buddyjohn Members

I've lost several homeless friends since 2008, they just disappeared and some of them lv known for twenty plus years, they never would've just gone off and left do much stuff behind at my house or w/out saying a word. l'm wondering if any old hippies can tell me anything about these disappearances, lv also read that hundreds possibly thousands have been taken by the government-any truth to that to?

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Probably dead or in jail. Or living on skid row in LA

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Maybe they got a home

4. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Working for the Russians

Logan 5 likes this.
  5. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

At any given time there are only five states in the US that actually pay the federal government more than they get in return and keep the entire country financially solvent. For example, I live on the streets in Seattle WA where homeless are coming from all over the country because the building and business boom going on is providing everything they need. Minimum wage here is already $15.oo/h and real estate values are going through the roof with the state wanting to encourage low wage workers to stay and discourage all the rest. Washington ranks 50th in the nation for things like mental health, but are scoring high in providing for the homeless. Seattle has its cold days, but snow is rare and daytime temperatures even in the dead of winter are frequently above 40 degrees.

For its part, the federal government was just embarrassed in the middle of an election year when the news got out that half the homeless men on the streets are veterans and the VA had been cutting off many of their benefits. Now the VA is rushing to repair its reputation and help homeless vets get off the streets, but they're still just another giant bureaucracy many vets no longer trust or want anything to do with. Many of the homeless are also the walking dead and injured, people with cancer or who have just had a limb amputated or whatever, and discovered themselves homeless in the process of attempting to save their lives. Hence, the reason many people now relying upon Obama care are also afraid of joining the swelling ranks of the homeless and people across the country are struggling to deal with what is threatening to become a serious situation for countless people. According to a recent survey half of all Americans no longer have enough money saved to deal with emergencies.

1 person likes this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

most of the people who experience it, have the good fortune, one way or another, for it not to become chronic.
    i've BEEN homeless, and as often un as employed, my va is the pension i'm living on now.

my guess would be the op's friends managed one way or another to become un-homeless, and didn't want to go back for the memories of having been.
    or too far away to afford to go back for their stuff, stuff they may have forgotten having to leave behind long ago, and with no certainty they could reclaim it if the ever did.

(i can think of several places i've had to leave stuff behind in my life, and i have no idea if the places are even still there, this being the 70s and 80s we're talking about having done so)