Where will Scout Council be?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by Gardenbear, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Gardenbear

Gardenbear Member

I have some general questions about the council process I'm hoping to get answered.

First, do I have this basic information correct? As far as I have learned, there is Vision Council on July 7th, then Thanksgiving council, then Scout Council, then Spring Council, then the National Gathering. I would assume that the locations of the next council would be decided upon at each council, or else things could get very confusing later on when the time comes to have the council.

So, is the location of the Thanksgiving council decided upon at the Vision Council? Is the location of the Scout council decided upon at the Thanksgiving council? Is the location of Spring council decided upon at the Scout Council?

Typically how does everybody keep up to date on the council process? Welcomehere.org calender? I see an arkansas gathering on there for April that talks about scouting, but I have no idea if a council will be happening there. Does anybody know where scout council will be?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :indian_ch

2. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

i would check out welcomehome.org its a little outdated but he posts those kinds of things like councils

3. Gardenbear

Gardenbear Member

I can't find anything like that there. I've never seen anything like that before at welcomehome.org. Where would it be on the site?

4. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

if its not there yet it hasn't been posted yet spring council is usually in late may

5. Brad2571

Brad2571 Member

My past exp is that spring "council" is more or less a holding camp and there is very little actual decision making or counciling. Most of these decisions are pre-determined in my exp. But as long as they are good decisions I can't complain. When they are bad decisions I could argue for greater transparency.

6. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I haven't tried to log on to welcomehome for a while, but I understand Rob is having problems with his server.

7. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

he just doesnt update anymore except for the directions every year

8. Gardenbear

Gardenbear Member

I'm asking about scout council, not spring council.

As far as I understand, scout council is usually the end of April. I got this information from welcomehome.org: http://welcomehome.org/rainbow/sites/selection.html
    Is that actually the way it happens or is it less organized?

"Typically how does everybody keep up to date on the council process? Welcomehere.org calender? .... Does anybody know where scout council will be?"
    ????????

"So, is the location of the Thanksgiving council decided upon at the Vision Council? Is the location of the Scout council decided upon at the Thanksgiving council? Is the location of Spring council decided upon at the Scout Council?"
    ????????

Thank you

9. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

LOL...I just love how no one ever wants to answer this stuff. :lol:

Best answer I can give, and this is only my view, is that when you are dealing with such diverse folks, anything can happen. Us here at the hippiestead have only had the tiniest of experiences with councils...just not our thing...but since TX is where we live & is one of the 3 states chosen in Vision Council last year, we did go to thanksgiving council in Nov.(on thanksgiving day anyway...other folks were there all weekend) It was very non-organized but a place & date was chosen for a scout rendevous; April 16th at Haley's Ferry in Huxley Tx. The 4-20 Gathering in Arkansas is also a good place to go to be a part of focalizing & scouting for 2007. But as far as I know, neither of these are 'scouting council'

C

10. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

yeah exactly what hippiestead said. its pretty not organized but somehow a gathering happens every year and things all work out. you'll hear where scout council is when it gets a little closer someone will post directions up

11. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Last scouting I did a circle affirmed that there were no scout councils; scouts rendevous on their own, after exchanging contact info at T-Day council or even vision council the year before. Then, together, a date and location for spring council is determined. This is not always the best way to do it if you want to avoid "hijacking process", but it (sort of) works for now until YOU :) or YOU ;-) or YOU :p change it.

12. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

Actually from my experience the "inner circle" knows all...

Sounds sinister I know, but it's not my intention to make it sound that way... but I went to all the councils and scouting councils last year naively thinking that it was an open process.

Boy what a well maintained illusion. From what I remember, Scout Council is decided at the Thanksgiving Council, but that also depends on who is attending the TGC, if the " main scouts " aren't all there networking is done via other communications...

We've "been advised" to be "tight-lipped" as who knows what kind of LEOS and such have "infiltrated"... nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

13. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

It may seem like the 'inner circle' knows it all & I can especially see how it could have easily been that way in CO but having done seed camp at 11 different National/Annuals, I think I can safely say that usually no one really knows where the site will be until the last minute. One bro we're tight with says the Gathering will be where ever the first A-camp vehicle breaks down at...;)

C