Where is the media on Sri Lanka? 70,000 killed!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jaycola, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jaycola

jaycola Member

The media focuses much of it's reporting on the events in Israel and Gaza all the while ignoring longer and more deadly conflicts raging around the world.

I understand there were more media representatives reporting on the events in Gaza than there were people killed in the conflict.

Here is a report on the events in Toronto from Indian press. 50,000 Tamils protested peacefully the ongoing civil war that has killed tens of thousands and has left hundreds of thousands homeless. I can't find mention of it in any major international media.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...am_Toronto_in_protest/articleshow/4056198.cms

Another link from a Toronto Newspaper site http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/579834

Here are some of the other conflicts in the world that are for the most part ignored. Included is the starting year of the conflict and the number of presumed deaths as a result. See the attached link for a more comprehensive list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ongoing_conflicts#cite_note-0

1983 Sri Lankan Civil War Sri Lanka 80,000 (+/-)[2]
    1997 Kivu conflict Democratic Republic of the Congo 4,000,000 (+/-)[3]
    2003 War in Darfur Sudan 500,000 (+/-)
    2004 War in North-West Pakistan Pakistan 11,345 (+/-)
    1988 Somali Civil War Somalia 300,000[4] - 400,000[5]
    2000 Second Intifada Israel & Palestinian territories 7,315 (+/-)
    2006 Mexican Drug War Mexico 8,400[6]
    1948 Kayin State Conflict Kayin and Burma ~7,000
    1964 Colombian Civil War Colombia ~52,000
    1969 Communist and Islamic insurgency in the Philippines[7] Philippines ~160,000+
    1975 The Secret War Laos 2,000 - 3,000
    1984 Turkey-PKK conflict PKK (Kurdish militants) and Turkey ~37,000
    1987 Second Ugandan Civil War Uganda ~12,000[citation needed]
    1989 Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir India ~60,000
    1993 Ethnic conflict in Nagaland India ~43,000[8]
    1995 Insurgency in Ogaden Ethopia ~125
    1996 Naxalite-Maoist insurgency East Central part of India ~4,483
    2000 Second Chechen War Russia and Ichkeria ~90,000[9]
    2002 Insurgency in the Maghreb Algeria, Mauritania, and Morocco ~6000[citation needed]
    2004 Balochistan conflict Balochistan and Pakistan ~9,000[10]
    2004 South Thailand insurgency Patani and Thailand ~3,500 [11]
    2004 Conflict in the Niger Delta Nigeria unknown
    2005 Fourth Civil War of Chad Chad ~1,400[citation needed]
    2007 Second Tuareg Rebellion Mali and Niger ~350[12]

2. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

It's a conspiracy...

3. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I heard that too. There were also constant streams of video provided by AP. Here in the UK the BBC said they could not get in. True, perhaps.
    It should not have prevented them from showing an endless stream of video and constant reports from those there. BBC's ego dictates if their dude aint there it aint happenin'

4. Jackillin

Jackillin Member

5. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

6. Jackillin

Jackillin Member

I once read that at any one time there are an average of 50 wars going on around the world and we usually only hear about a few. And I guess those we hear about are only the ones that directly affect the politics and finance of our own countries...thats pretty crappy :-(

7. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

Granted I don't follow the news much anymore for obvious reasons.However before I read this thread I did not know there was anything even going on in Sri Lanka.But if some Hamas Palestinian terrorists contact lens fell out of one of his eyes there would be a 100 reporters covering it.

8. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

I don't know about your media, but since the Sri Lankan government started it's offensive to finally defeat the Tigers the BBC has been covering it a good deal

9. polecat

polecat Weerd

yeah, I've been watching that.

And the real conflict that no one knows about, and wasn't even mentioned in that list, is the Second Congo War. It has almost no coverage despite the fact that it's the most bloody conflict of the 21st century, with over 5 million(!) people killed.

10. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Honestly, I'd put in my two cents, but SOMEONE would probably call me a conspiracy theorist and we all know once someone is labled THAT, they no longer are credible, nor are they welcome here... So, let's make sure to keep this in the realms of superficial chit chat. :)

11. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

12. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

I've never heard of that war either.But of course there are no Palestinians living in the Congo. I guess 1 Palestinian is worth more than 5 million people.Well at least according to the media that is.

13. Hiptastic

Hiptastic Unhedged

Its the old philosophical question, if a tree falls in the woods and there's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?

If somene dies in a poor country, and they weren't killed by an Israeli or an American, does it matter?

14. jaycola

jaycola Member

1997 Kivu conflict Democratic Republic of the Congo 4,000,000 (+/-)[3]

It is on that list just by another name.

Toronto, in fact, has the largest Tamil population outside Sri Lanka so we do likely get more news about the conflict than people from other countries.
    I have known a little about the Sri Lankan wars for a long time, from having employed many expat Sri Lankans over the years.

Many of these guys told me of their affiliation to the Tamil Tigers. Some claimed they were forced into allegiance with the so named terrorist group, and some admitted to being willing participants. None admitted to any outright murder but one in particular had been party to arson and fire bombings (malatov cocktails) on government buildings. They claim that they are badly treated by the ruling Sinhalese government because of their culture and would like independant rule.

The Tamil situation seems somewhat similar to the situation in Israel and Gaza but the death toll has been much higher and the media reporting nearly non existant in comparison.

Is it that the Palestinians are better "media players" than the Tamils? or is it that our western focus is and has long been mainly on conflict in the Middle east because that is where we have the greatest economic connection?

Oh, and Earthmother...please join in with your opinions, just please, in order to comply with the forum rules, try to keep your comments out of the realm of the shadow governments which insidiously control the media with the final goal of global domination.
    But feel free to share!

15. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Che Guevera fought in The Congo. 60's

I'll bet he could bring the media there!

:lurk5:

16. polecat

polecat Weerd

oh ok. I did think it was a little odd that they'd leave that one out.

17. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Probably the most valid explanation.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ce.html

18. odon

odon Slightly Popular

We are free to talk about pretty much what we like on these forums it seems.
    What do we all focus on and why?

19. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Doesn't money set the priorities these days? I hardly think it's humanitarian concerns. After all China held the last Olympics.

20. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Does money motivate you to discuss one subject more than another?
    I'm sure some characters around here would say we are all being manipulated to follow one concern over another...a little bit of a cop out IMO.
    If it is true reporting one subject over another does generate more revenue - for media outlets - then who's fault is that? OURS.

In any case, Sri Lanka is being reported on by our news networks..Sky ITV BBC. But, I do appreciate there is more of a prelevance on one subject than another...I'd put the blame for that on us, too.

I can see that your monetary explanation is slightly different than mine...perhaps you could explain it further.