Where in Germany?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by jpbl68, Aug 28, 2009.

1. jpbl68

jpbl68 Member

I'll be travelling to Amsterdam on 1 September. I'll be travelling alone, staying in hostels or very cheap hotels. I plan to stay for about a week and then I'm thinking about heading to Germany. I'm curious to see what it's like but I have no idea where to go. At the moment I'm thinking about going to Berlin but only because it's the capital. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hi jpbl86,

depends on what you are looking for. Some say Berlin is great, I don't like it ;). You might consider Hamburg, the Cologne-Bonn area, Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Stuttgart. Freiburg in the south is a blast, IMHO. Munich is very popular among foreigners.

Regards
    Gyro

3. jpbl68

jpbl68 Member

I was thinking about going to Munich for Oktoberfest but decided against it. I posted this on another board:

"I want to experience a culture that is different to my own (I'm English). As I'll be travelling alone I'd ideally like to stay somewhere welcoming and friendly. I'm not particularly interested in visiting museums and taking guided tours. I don't speak German, though I feel confident that I could learn a few basic phrases, so I'd prefer to stay somewhere where the locals know a little English. I'd like to stay in the city but a day trip to a more rural area might be nice but by no means essential."

What don't you like about Berlin?

4. Gyro Gearloose

Hi,

then stay in Berlin. You will find lots of culture, concerts, readings etc. there. Insiders might know where you can find counterculture of all kinds. I'm sure nearly everyone can find the scene she or he will fit in in Berlin.

Knowing a few german phrases is fine and gives you good karma ;). But in general you can survive with english. Nearly all middle aged and younger people should understand basic english. But be prepared that only a few people are used to speak english and so they might act a little bit shy.

Well, IMO Berlin combines the problems of a huge city with the problems of the more rural areas. Their slogan is 'Poor, but sexy'. Last june I visited Berlin for the first time since the eighties. It gives nothing to me and I was glad that I could leave after a week ;). I can't explain it in a more rational way. But that's just me. I know a lot of huge Berlin fans, so you will like it, too.

Regards
    Gyro

5. nldn

nldn Senior Member

Cologne is only 2-3 hours away, whereas Berlin is a lot further.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It all depends what you're intersted in. Personally I'd ignore everything west of the Rhine and concentrate on Bavaria and the east. Better architecture, better culture and better food. Plus the Polish folks on the east and Austrians in the south are always fun. I'd start at Hamburg and travel down the east. Berlin, Wolfsberg, Magdeberg, Dresden. Then head west to Detmold and see the Externsteine and the Teutoberg Forest and then go do down to Munich. That's what I'm always telling people to do.

7. raz5

raz5 زینب

frankfurt is only about 4-4.5 hours away from amsterdam. I really like it there, and there is a lot for you to do. just like gyro Berlin is overrated, I do not enjoy going up to Northern DE it is a lot less fun :p

bonn is cool too that is probably like only 3 hours away, you could see beethovens birthplace and there is a bunch of sight-seeing stuff.

8. Gyro Gearloose

Dear raz,

ah, meine Worte wurden erhoert ;). I spent the last week in Berlin for an annual conference. Hadn't seen much except the way from the central station to the hotel to the conference venue and back. That's enough Berlin for me.

Regards
    Gyro

9. raz5

raz5 زینب

es ist langweil... the people are more stuck up also (in my opinion). the reason some are attracted there is because it is the capitial, but the capitals are not always the best place to go :p

:cheers2:

yeah munich is rad but it is quite a hike from the netherlands, but if OP is willing to go that far you should totally go south

10. Gyro Gearloose

Hello Irminsul,

hope you visited the monument of Hermann, prince of the cherusci? If you stay over night (wednesdays preferred) you can see him taking his sword into his other hand.

Regards
    Gyro

11. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

I guess the OP got lost somewhere on his journey. Too bad he can't tell us the war stories of his journey anymore. Especially his last story might be interesting :).

Regards
    Gyro

PS: You switched off your visitor messages? Too many 'dating requests' ;)?

12. Smark

Smark Member

i lived in Nurnberg for over 3 years was fantastic, its a city but not that big that it takes a couple of weeks to see everything compared to Barcelona. Worth a visit for a couple of days

13. lee20

lee20 Guest

You can go to Munich also. It was also an amazing place because it is a city that carries a warmth and charm unlike many other of Germany's major urban areas. You can visit the Neuschwanstein Castle on a day trip.

14. NurseSteve

NurseSteve Member

Bad Hersfeld has exploded since the end of the Cold War and has some really interesting cultural sites. Go when one of the festivals is on. You can get a train in any direction. Berlin is "cold" to some visitors, try Cologne or Munich for a fun city with a friendly atmosphere. (I know little of the east, haven't visited enough since the end of the Cold War) but Leipzig is a fun town.