Where have all the hippies gone?

Discussion in 'Hip Arts and Culture' started by ~Zen~, Aug 16, 2021.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I say they are still around, all around you if you could but perceive them.

[​IMG]

This could be any summer day... and it was, in the 1970s.

Some say they are all gone, but I've seen them in the oddest places. Here are some examples from a recent story in the Guardian News:

The last nomad hippies – a photo essay

The author journeyed across southern Portugal following caravans and car campers on the beaches during the pandemic. None had cell phones, wore a watch but lived with nature, from sunrise to sunset being ALIVE!

[​IMG]

"Lili and Misha chill in his motorhome in Lagoa do Santo André, Portugal"

[​IMG]

"Jade Lotus, from London, swims naked on the ocean near Praia do Amado, Portugal."

[​IMG]

Laundry day... converted van is now a house.

rhoodd, scratcho and DrRainbow like this.
  2. ~Zen~

I have met many hippies around the globe, how about you?

Any stories to tell?

I am all ears, and I am sure there are a few of us out there with tales to share :)

scratcho and DrRainbow like this.
  3. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Where have all the hippies gone? Some moved to Canada, some to New Zealand, some to Antarctica, and some are now talking about colonizing Mars, which should be just about the right distance for comfort.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2021
    DrRainbow likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

Please try to keep your thoughts on topic.

I know there are a lot of hippies in Germany and the Netherlands.

DrRainbow likes this.
  5. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hippies are still around, never went away. Not as many as there were 50 years ago or more but the lifestyle appeals to certain types of people who have sustained it.

scratcho and DrRainbow like this.
  6. wooleeheron

The EU in general has more hippies than most, but its more the result of economics than anything else. Hippie culture is salt-of-the-earth, which doesn't support big government or corporations, and the EU is more democratic than most, so more hippies come out of the closet. You can see the same effect with agnostics, whose numbers tend to more than double, in any country where organized religion and atheism have been reduced to minorities. In other words, hippies are the proverbial canary in the coal mine, and when they disappear, its a problem.

In the EU's case, they are second fiddle to the US, and have no choice but to support more salt-of-the-earth culture. Basically, the US military is equal to the next six largest combined, and the EU would be overrun in an instant if not defended by the US, because they let their military go down the toilet, just like before WWII.

7. ~Zen~

This is not about world powers, politics or the military... please try to stay on topic. This is not about war and peace, it is about the Hippie Lifestyle!!!

8. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Have the hippie become the hipsters we see today ?

9. ~Zen~

That has been talked about!

[​IMG]

Hipster was a term in use before hippie. Hipsters were Bohemians, afficianados of jazz in New York City in the 20s and 30s. By the 50s they had become a force...

Hipsters today are simply fashion conscious and intellectual wannabes if you ask me! The latest definition of HIPSTER I found is this:
    "...a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream."

And that ain't a hippy.

scratcho, Tyrsonswood and Toecutter like this.
  10. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes the hippie movement birthed other movements including the hipsters. In the early to mid 70s true hippies became less common, replaced by stoners who looked like hippies but didn't act like them. But true hippies don't care if being a hippie is trendy, and so they carry on.

~Zen~ likes this.
  11. wooleeheron

A quarter of the prisoners in US prisons are nonviolent pot offenders. There's your hippie lifestyle.

12. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

link with this information ?

13. ~Zen~

You trying to push my buttons Woo?

14. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

15. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

~Zen~ likes this.
  16. wooleeheron

Nah. I had to move to Washington state, over a thousand miles from where I was, just to be able to smoke pot legally. The state has had to draw electrical power from five neighboring states and the price has gone through the roof. Hippies in the US have been moving from one state to another all along, and the black population experienced the same thing after the civil rights movement. They wandered the entire country, a huge percentage of our population went in one giant circle, from one state to the next, only to eventually return home, where they already knew who hated them.

It is the Trail of Tears, and even the other groups in the US, such as the Mormons, who experienced the same treatment, dump on hippies at every opportunity.

~Zen~ likes this.
  17. wooleeheron

I know hippies who avoid hipsters like the plague, because they attract all the wrong kind of attention from fringe lunatics. Seriously, I know countless hippies who shave their heads, just to avoid being identified as hippies, and laugh at all the Babylonians insisting hippies must all have long hair. They're everywhere, they're everywhere! Run Away!

My great grandmother was a half breed, rejected by both the whites and her tribe. Americans are territorial, and the grim truth behind real estate in the US is not for the faint at heart.

rhoodd and ~Zen~ like this.
  18. ~Zen~

Thank God for the Hippies!

granite45 and wooleeheron like this.
  19. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

:) I wouldn’t have Mrs.TC

~Zen~ likes this.
  20. wooleeheron

Reagan closed all the mental institutions, tossing violent psychotics into the streets, just as homelessness shot through the roof. I was one of those homeless, and watched the psychotics use knives and 2x4s they dug out of the garbage to fight over stale donuts they were giving away for free. Half of them didn't have shoes, and the drunks would steal each other's shoes off each other feet, in their sleep, while the other half didn't have blankets. The pigs drove all of us from one state to another, in a giant circle around the country, because nobody wanted the homeless bringing down the price of rent.

Some friends dragged me off to the Rainbow Gathering where, for the first time in my life, I felt like I had come home at last.

Bilby likes this.