Where has the music gone???

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by wildbutterfly, Aug 22, 2005.

1. wildbutterfly

wildbutterfly Member

A question i ponder often. Where indeed has the music gone? When MTV first started, it was based on playing music, nothing but music 24 hours a day. Now you're lucky to find it playing any music whatsoever. Sure it has it's occasional rap videos, but once again, where's the music?
    The Music industry has rapidly turned into one of the biggest sellout communities we have. As long as your hott and can shake your ass, then you're going to sell millions of albums. Granted you can't sing, you can't play an instrument, nor do your lyrics hold any content in themselves, but you're going to be what we call the latest "music" craze.
    I have to cut this short but someone please humor me. Is anyone else worried about the future of our music?

2. Magical Mystery Girl

Magical Mystery Girl Member

I've pondered that everyday for a long time... which is why I started my own band. ;) The link in my sig will take you straight to our demo. :)

3. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

There are tons of great modern bands out there....well out of the mainstream spotlight.

Don't be lazy. Look!

4. Magical Mystery Girl

Magical Mystery Girl Member

Yeah, you kinda have to do some intense searching for good new bands... but they're definitely out there. :) I know that here in Montreal, indie radio is getting increasingly popular.

5. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yeah, most "music" nowadays isn't music, it's entertainment... Grammies generally suck.

You have to look for it. Lotta good jambands out there, too... I mean, people complain about phish breaking up, but moe. is pretty damn awesome... the allmans are still around, derek trucks band, oteil and the peacemakers, mule, john scofield, MMW, DJ Williams Project, Ani DiFranco, Aquarium Recue Unit, Ratdog, Widespread Panic, YMSB, Disco Biscuits, New Monsoon, Steve Kimock Band, Umphrey's, Mofro, Keller Williams, Derek Trucks Band... A lot of good classic rock too.. Tom Petty is with the Black Crowes this year, I believe... John Fogerty is with John Cougar. Lotta good tours around... Big Summer Classic was great.

6. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I remember Magical Mystery Girl! :eek: I thought you died. :(

Music hasn't gone anywhere. Its evolved, just like people and the world around it has. In my opinion the best music ever is being made right now. Well, not the best ever, since Frank Zappa's dead, Syd Barrett's insane, and Liam Gallagher is writing songs for Oasis, but you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

7. Aerosolhalos

Aerosolhalos Member

I actually think more great music is being made today than was being made in the 60s, back when you had to be a real "somebody" to get a record pressed. There's an entire universe out there of amazing music, the last 20 years have really opened the floodgate for a lot of awesome stuff.. just turn off the TV and the radio and LOOK for it

8. wilddreamer

wilddreamer Member

aNI DEFRANCO ROCKS :)

9. Green

Green Iconoclastic

Marching BANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDO

10. shantiipyar

shantiipyar Member

11. shantiipyar

shantiipyar Member

12. monarch

monarch Member

...dude haha, i had a look-see, your band's quite awsome [​IMG]
    is there anywhere i can get your stuff on a cd in a store? i cant order off the net though =\

13. Tequila Mockingbird

Tequila Mockingbird Member

14. I_got_life

I_got_life Member

hey what you say is true.but there is still some people that make true music.they are not comercial,but they exist.see the people who play on the streets.see the bands who collect money to take an hour for repetitions.And the music is everywhere...every sound can be music,if you find it.

15. mellow

mellow Eased

i agree, theres tons of great underground music producers...
    and I also agree that mainstream music today is absolutly terrible, whatever, all you can do is not listen to it and maybe it will go away eventually

16. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

MTV was the nail in the coffin with respect to the commericial industry being a venue for groups that had talent. MTV is nothing more than a venue for marketing hype of flashy gimmicks and pedantic music. VH1 has gotten quite bad in recent years also, although it was respectable in its early years.

I support local bands now. They have more talent than any of the talentless wonders I see on mainstream TV and radio. In general, their works are squelched from the mainstream because if others heard their works it would raise the bar, and every lazy talentless group in the glitter industry would actually have to start working for a living.

17. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I take that back. The best music ever, musically-speaking, is being made right now. You'll never find another era that has more advanced music in all ways possible, be it lyrics, the layers of sound, the complexity of it all.. this decade is shaping up to be the best ever if its not already, and we're only halfway through it!

18. George

George Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

It's all because of the American mind set, Every single generation that has existed has gone through several flows of creativity, ( a word that most hippies totally desire) Creativity (Hippies desire) is a very spuratic thing I think. I think that large amounts of creativity took place back during the times of the Roman Empire, and during the time of the renassaunce ( I can't even spell it) and also also also, in the fuckn' sixties and seventies. I think those minds existed at a very powerful time in history, it was like they were the very crest of the wave. Anyway, I think it's been happening for years, I think it's awesome, I think it's totally the way of life, I think we have to chose wether to embrace it or not. I'm forming my life to embrace it guys. All you old hippies here's a link to you, (don't stop teaching and spreading the word man) Spread that free living spirit that exists with in us all, and let us all feel it awesomely large in the future. Please don't even post because I'm already calling you a fucker if you post something negative, that's not where highly evolved minds congregate to and that's not at all being a fuck'n hippster. Back to the positive, which leaves me at over and out mates and crew.

19. Poet_Moon_Shine

Poet_Moon_Shine Member

The feeling is back, but the mood has changed a bit.

20. green_revolution

green_revolution Member

The problem I see with most mainstream music today is that a lot of it is centered towards hate, violence, death and complaining. Even if the artists don't support these themes they still sing about them simply because it sells.
    In the 50's, pretty much everyone sang about love, happiness and of course partying. You may think that generation of music seems boring now since it was all the same, but in reality, it was those bands that were planting the seeds that would lead to the birth of the Hippy movement.
    Nowadays, a lot of bands are complaining about the state of the world and how everything sucks. Almost everything emo sings about depression and how life is misery. granted, that's where they get the name emo from but isn't love and happiness an emotion too?