Where did you go barefoot today?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Sax_Machine, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Since the warm weather is upon us I reckon people will be out doing a lot of things barefoot pretty much every day for the next few months. I suspect there are plenty of these threads buried in the mists of time but since they're not that near the surface I thought I might as well just start a new one.

Today I go the bus into town, went to the post office, bought some stationery, did some photocopying and posted a couple of things. Namely, some missing documents in support of my application for Irish citizenship, and a birthday present for the forum moderator's daughter. No really!

Last night I went to the cinema (I go there a lot as the local cineworld's but 15 mins walk away and I've got one of those unlimited cards which I've been milking to buggery in my bare feet) and popped into a Tesco Extra on the way back. The only thing anyone said to me in there was "Do you know how Man United got on earlier?". As it happened I did know and told him.

What with it being the holidays I don't forsee needing to wear anything on my feet for at least a week. I'm going into London on saturday (not football this time - we're away at Burnley) - going to Madame Tussauds in the afternoon to reclaim my bassoon which I loaned out to a friend a month or so ago (I've got pass to all the Merlin attractions and I really need exploit it more - it expires around the same time as I leave the country, but I've hardly used it since I got it). Then I've got some birthday drinking to do for a trombone player in Russell Square in the evening. Unless it's looking like getting very chilly in the evening I my shoes will stay at home.

2. ~InTheSky~

~InTheSky~ Member

I didn't today (had work) but yesterday was my first day of the year out barefoot. I went shopping for a bit, wandered round a garden centre, went home, had lunch then did some barefoot gardening and sorting out my pond :D

3. essenceofweez

essenceofweez Member

Nowhere but inside my house.

It was 35F today for a high.

4. hillman30

hillman30 Member

Yesterday it was nice so in New York City, walked around times square, the filthy tunnel back and forth from there to the subway under the bus station. Then the train station killing time waiting for the train. Bottoms still dirty after shower and work with ichh, shoes and sox on. They're free at home now. poor babies.

5. Rugged_Soles

Rugged_Soles Member

Had a pleasant walk into the forest for an hour or so. As spring is bloming it was wonderful to see a few flowers poping up thru the leaf covered ground. Most all the snow has melted and mud is everywhere.

6. seohsreven

seohsreven Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Just another day in paradise, going barefoot everywhere; helping folks out at the tax department, going out to luncheon meetings, visiting the governor's office; the usual...

7. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Since the workweek has started I've only been barefoot at home. The weekend however was another story. Saturday I ran some errands (cleaners, Home Depot), did some yardwork and swept out the garage without footwear. Sunday I was at the neighborhood park and did the weekly grocery shopping barefoot. It was a good weekend.

8. Booga

Booga Member

Went on a long walk that ended at Macy's in Scottsdale Fasion Square Mall. After paying my charge card bill, I approached a woman who was hawking Rosetta Stone packages from a kiosk. Shortly after launching into her pitch, she looked down and asked, "What happened to your shoes?"

"Oh, I wear them as seldom as possible," I answered, trying to sound nonchalant.

"But aren't there, you know, rules against walking around in public places without shoes?"

"No, lady. That's pants your thinking of."

She laughed and got on with it.

9. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

:) Actually you can walk around without pants if you like, as long as you're still wearing trousers on top.

10. barefootoctober

barefootoctober Member

Today I flew from Newark to New Orleans, and was barefoot from security check at EWR to my hotel in NOLA. No problems whatsoever. Why wasn't I barefoot before? Because it was quite cold in NYC and my subway+NJ transit trip to EWR was during the morning rush. Then I went for a non-barefoot walk around the French Quarter while waiting for my room to be ready. I decided against being barefoot right away because I wanted to explore the streets first. But I think I'll go for it later and in the next few days.

By the way, does anyone know what the acceptance/tolerance/hassling levels are in New Orleans?

11. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

Just my usual favorite season for certain things here in this part of Maine. It was a good snowy winter, and the depths were quite high at times in February, (up to 40 inches in my back yard) but late March sun angle and April rains always tell the tale---I have had more and more open ground to walk on the past week, and while the weather is rather grim and in the 40s, (F) I am able to work barefoot in my beloved mossy places, any sunny spots, and even across snow fields, but it's still early.

But on any day when it's windy, dark, and cold the thin insulation of my flops or Chacos keeps my soles off the frozen ground, but the tops of my feet are bare. I have not had real shoes on since mid March--- I know I pushed it a little. There was still A LOT of snow here in mid March. But even then it's amazing where spring starts in select warm spots, yes, even in mid March. Also, this was a unusual March in which it didn't snow at alll. We were living off the snow from earlier months. And so far April shows no signs of snow either, also odd. April usually brings "some" snow.

But it's still intermittent bare footing for me for the time being. I slip out of my sandals at a moment's notice, though! But really warm weather is a long way off in my climate. I have problems similar to those of Essenceofweez, in the frozen tundra of North Dakota! It may get colder there, but Maine always takes longer to warm up.

12. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

Today's a bit cool, but I am planning a quick barefoot errand to Radio Shack during lunch.

Yesterday was warm and sunny. I was barefoot all day and loved it. First thing in the morning, I had to have bloodwork done. I went to the medical lab barefoot. No one commented one way or the other. I'm sure the lab tech noticed, but she was polite and chatty and completely unphased. Afterward, I made a quick stop at Starbucks to grab coffee and a scone (I hadn't eaten due to the blood test). I then stopped in a King Soopers grocery and went home. Later in the day, I went barefoot into the Credit Union to deposit a check. I realized I'd forgotten an item at the grocery. This time I stopped in barefoot at a Safeway grocery. From there I went to the Post Office to mail some things for work and then stopped for gas.

My experience is that few people care if I enter their business barefoot. Those who do care can be real asses, but I can't change the world. Yesterday's travels are what I experience 95% of the time - come and go barefoot without comment.

13. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

Had to wear shoes at work today, but did a little bf gardening.
    Will be bf the next four days at the reserve (www.watersedgecountrypark.org). On Saturday we are doing another "walking for health" hike, i'll be bf, of course, although the council info sheet says "stout footwear must be worn"! (don't do as i do, do as i say!)
    Not that i would ever tell anyone to put shoes on...

14. black_widow

black_widow Member

I just go barefoot in the house, at the balcony and at the beach....

15. deadguy

deadguy Member

I'm like black_widow. I mostly go barefoot around the house, and sometimes the yard.

16. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

Re: my posting above,...
    Later in the day I ran out to Best Buy to get a microphone for my computer. The person at the door tagged my laptop and pointed out where to head. I had a sales rep help me find exactly what I needed and I checked out. No comments about my bare feet. Later I hit a Starbucks for a post-lumch caffeine jolt!).

17. bkcmar

bkcmar keep those feet bare

i live in new orleans. i work the next 2 days. if you are still in town on monday, i may be able to hook up with you. in new orleans it is hit or miss regarding barefooting. some places will not give you any problems others will hassle you. the french quarter is mostly anti-barefoot. in the marigny, the neighborhood bordering the quarter it is much more laid back.

18. ganesha1967

ganesha1967 barefoot bellybearer

Today I took a trip to the mall to get some shopping done (the long Easter weekend prompted everyone to do so, it seems... take a long weekend, and the supermarkets are crowded like it's the end of the world...) and to get my summer hairdo - temperatures of about 23°C/73F are warm enough to shed some fur... on my head, that is.

So, my barefeet carried me first to the hairdresser's to get my usual summer buzzcut. I was lucky not to wait long, but was shown to a chair in front of a mirror right away. No comments whatsoever about my bare feet, but the young woman wielding the machine was a bit concerned about the possible outcome of my choice of hairstyle. She asked whether this was my first time, to which I truthfully replied, reassuringly, that I do that every year for a while now. After five minutes, it was all done, I paid and got out.

Next stop: drugstore. Again, no comments, a few looks, but nothing out of the ordinary. From there, it was downstairs to the supermarket, getting some food and stuff for the long Easter weekend. And, to be sure, there were others having the same plan. Once again, I was testing the theory of a German comedian, that when queueing up at the checkout, your queue is always the slowest... It bears some truth, really.

Final stop at the mall: tobacconist. No, my hovercraft wasn't full of eels :D - Actually I was there to buy cigarettes.

After successfully supplied, I went out of the mall at one side exit to have a smoke, standing in bright sunlit, letting my toes feel the warm pavement...

And, as I supposed before, I was the only barefooter - that is, full ground contact of my sole. Several flip-floppers were walking around (all female, by the way - no other male toes in sight), but those don't count as full barefooters, IMO.

Well, I guess the warm weather might lure out other barefooters later on... As my barefoot day isn't over as yet, I'll see what will happen when going to meet my playmates - that is, our fantasy role-playing group - tonight. ;)

Wiggling toes of a Midgard woodsrunner,

~*Ganesha*~

19. indyanthony

indyanthony Member

Today is a beautiful day. Sun is out and shinning brightly. Ahhh, spring is here...hope it sticks around! Today I will be barefoot all day. Let's see, I think a bike ride is in order, then perhaps shopping at Whole Foods. Can't wait to get out...bye :)

20. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i went to the lake at the front of town, and then when i got home and went in my kitchen i think i got glass in my foot, i cant see it so i guess its gotta find its own way out LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.