Where are the seeds in this peyote?

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by pandalion, Aug 3, 2012.

1. pandalion

pandalion Guest

Hello. My friend has this peyote. I want to get some seeds from him to start growing my own. But we can't find any seeds. Any ideas why? In which part of the cactus should we look for them? Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

i believe you need to pollinate it with another. dont quote me.
    how can you make seeds without sex?..

3. alwayscrackers

alwayscrackers Member

i believe they are self pollinating so the seeds will appear after the flowers have withered, they are however slow to mature cacti taking anything from 5-10 years.

4. pandalion

pandalion Guest

this one is around 10 years old

my friend told me that the last few times flowers have withered but afterwards there were no seeds

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

ok.. then you would harvest the fruit and remove the seeds.
    if they are self pollinating as you say.. you still might have to play
    bumble bee and spread it flower to flower. thats just my opinion.
    I have no real experience growing yote. however I have baby yote and an SP, im workin on it..:D

6. pandalion

pandalion Guest

thanks for your answers. but is there someone with real experience?

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

somewhere here would know better. patience..

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

After the flowers have withered the seeds should be in the middle, as far down as you can reach without damaging the cactus, under where the base of the flower was.

I think they're also quite small.

9. alwayscrackers

alwayscrackers Member

seems that there is more than specie of lophophora/peyote, didnt realise that, mine were williamsii which are self fertile, the other species are not, that may be the reason you had no seed pods so best to identify exactly which one you have.
    are we allowed to put links here? this could help identify which one you have.
    http://www.kadasgarden.com/Lophophorachart.html
    never have used peyote just loved growing all sorts of cacti

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

williamsii is peyote.

The other one does not grow in the US, it's a more southern thing. It is psychoactive, but not anything like peyote. In fact, I THINK it's used as a sleep aid.

Unless you set out to find the other, it's unlikely that you would have it. 99.9% chance that's williamsii it it was acquired as peyote.

11. pandalion

pandalion Guest

thank you :) I think that your answer is what I was searching for.

12. Mr_GreenThumb

Mr_GreenThumb Member

The seed pods are located in the soft tufts of hair. They will become loose on the cacti and can be left to fall off on it's own or you can gently remove each pod yourself. Each pod contains around 20, very tiny, black seeds. I hope this helps.

13. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

.....those are reduced spines I think. Pretty sure they have nothing to do with seeds. Could be wrong.

14. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

sometimes in older wild peyotes there will be seeds and dried fruits buried in the deep tufts of hair around the center of the button. Usually you gotta wait for the flower to self-pollinate, fruit, and then collect seeds once the fruit is ripened. In the wild the dried fruits/ seeds just fall into the center until it rains, then they get washed out sprout up like green boogers next to the parent plant.